Taking on staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe96

Reaction score
So who currently employs, I've just got one girl on a self employed basis but I'm wanting to take on a part time stylist paid! Also hoping to take an apprentice on in the summer can anyone give me any good questions to ask at interview for an apprentice?

Contact your local college regarding hiring an apprentice. They should be able to help you find a willing student.

Contact your local college regarding hiring an apprentice. They should be able to help you find a willing student.

Our local college is terrible!

Be careful....
A part time stylist is a great idea, just make sure you set targets....:cool:

As for the apprentice, be sure to realise those shampooed clients are a luxury!
Bare in mind, for a monthly cost of around £600.00...... a new salon might expect an average of 4 - 6 clients/shampoos a day........
If I were you...I'd just roll my sleeves up! :p

Your apprentice does not come with 'support' from the government any more, so it's all down to you cost wise.....
Wage.......Uniform....holiday pay.....pension....
You will also have to allocate training hours - normally in excess of 5 hour per week...
This time is you 'off the floor' cutting hair - earning money! o_O

Sorry if this post sounds negative, but having been there and bought the 'T', just wish someone had given me the 'heads up'!;)

I used to have a salon and Employ (Beauty), and I have friends with hairdressing salons who have got freelance self employed stylists who pay a chair rent now rather than employing as it was a nightmare. All the new pension rules, insurances, and staff feeling like they work harder than the boss yet not making their own expenses has really run this industry employer incentive down the last few years.

Personally if I go back to running a salon again I would offer space to lease to self employed techs rather than Employ again.

Latest posts

Back