Taking photos of your work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachg

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wondered if anybody could give me some advice of takign photos of my work. I struggle mainly with rockstar nails as i can never get a photo that gives them justice. I've had a look through some of the picturs on here and there are some lovely shots.

I want them for my fb page so i can promote. Any advice would be muchly apreciated thankyou !!

I simply use my iphone to take pictures & the photo clarity is great. If I want to make collages (before & after shots on the same photo etc) then I always used picnik, but now thats closed down (19th April) I believe picmonkey is now meant to be good..

If anyone else uses a good free online service for photo effects would be interested to know :)

i take my pictures on a white background with as much light as possible. i take several from different angles so that i can pick the best one :)

Sent from my GT-S5360

I struggle with this too, my rock star toes and Swarovski pedis never look as good as in real life!

I don't think any camera shows the real beauty of nails but to get the best shot you can have light comin from behind the camera and try a few different angles to see which sparkle the most. I struggle with neon colours I use for nail art they just look like normal colours in photos :(

A good camera and natural daylight is a good start, I find that nail designs that include a lot of glitter, crystals or Minx really look best with a black background, so you can use a towel for this or if you have a nice black sequined bag, dress etc that is big enough you can use this.

The secret then to making your image look even better is cropping it around the edges, as you go along taking pictures you will learn to allow enough space to do this to maximum effect.

Crop til you drop to get the focus on those hands or feet!

a good camera definitely but if you dont have a decent one then natural lighting and just keep practising until you find a "pose" of the hands that works best for your camera xx

Thanks everyone a guess its just trial and error, i'll have a go at some of the tips and see how i go on !!

I have tried a few different cameras, natural light, bright artificial light, dark background, light background - I just can't get those crystals or that glitter to sparkle and look clear! I'll have another go with mine tonight, luckily I have nothing better to do!

I make collectors bears and have to take good clear pics. I have a cardboard box with top cut out, grease proof paper over the hole and shine a bright light down over the top...a light box. I use a camera but my galaxy phone is as good. I put my hand in and the picture worked well. Hope this helps. X

Sent from my GT-I9001 using SalonGeek

Take a look at my facebook page for some 'posing' ideas that slim the hands and show the nails at their best.

1) One hand over the other
2) Fingers of each hand between each other
3) 1 hand alone

TipToe Mobile Nails | Facebook

Get a good quality camera (8 megapixels or more) and use the Macro setting! Try it with the flash on, and the flash off... to see which looks best.

Crop the irrelevant parts of the picture out, so all that's showing are the hands.

I generally use a dark background (black towel) unless the nails are dark when I use a light background (beige/white towel).

It's not difficult, the clients love posing and always say they feel like models!

xxx

So glad that I found this thread. I did rock star toes for my daughter today, Hollywood and red glitter that I scrubbed in, never tried applying it that way before and they look really good but none of the photos do them any justice waht so ever :sad: but I will try some of the tips on here to get better pics.

Shelley X :)

if anyone does have a dslr camera (expensive big ones..lol) it is so worth buying one of these (if the link works....) NEEWER Macro Ring LED Light for Canon: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

NEEWER Macro Ring Flash LED Light for Canon 1Ds,5D,7D,30D,40D,50D,400D,450D,500D,550D,1000D,Nikon D7
www.amazon.co.uk
Macro Ring Flash LED Light For Canon Sony Nikon Sigma Lens **NOTE: For Sony Alpha Series Cameras,You needs to buy a hot shoe adapter separately. How to Use: Ring shape design:This lighting unit's specially designed ring shape is perfit for MACRO photography (close-up). ...

my little brother recommended it to me coz i was fed up of not getting the sparkles in my photos & he knows his stuff as he is a photographer. i'l take a pic of my toes when i have redone my rockstar in the morning & get it posted so you can see how good it is. x :biggrin:

Take a look at my facebook page for some 'posing' ideas that slim the hands and show the nails at their best.

3) 1 hand alone

Get a good quality camera (8 megapixels or more) and use the Macro setting! Try it with the flash on, and the flash off... to see which looks best.

Crop the irrelevant parts of the picture out, so all that's showing are the hands.

I generally use a dark background (black towel) unless the nails are dark when I use a light background (beige/white towel).

It's not difficult, the clients love posing and always say they feel like models!

xxx

Posing, cropping etc is not an issue, it's just getting the sparkle of the nails without having to take a buurry shot. Especially when doing crystal pedi, rockstar toes etc. Hopefully this sunny weather will help! x

i should of said i take my pics in my conservatory where theres lots of light, find somewhere near a window or door, natural light is best for catching the sparkle!

Hi All,

I wondered if anybody could give me some advice of takign photos of my work. I struggle mainly with rockstar nails as i can never get a photo that gives them justice. I've had a look through some of the picturs on here and there are some lovely shots.

I want them for my fb page so i can promote. Any advice would be muchly apreciated thankyou !!

The only way I can show the colour to be the real colour on rockstars is to go into my conservatory and take the picture in natural daylight. The flash is not needed and this takes a good picture of them. If the flash comes on it changes the colour. HTH. Ax

I just use my iPhone 4s which has an 8 mega pixel camera. I then use an app called PhotoWizard and this allows you to crop, use a vignette and watermark it - amongst other stuff. You can then upload it straight to various social sites.

Here's two examples, but there's more on my FB page

Attachments

• 462788_236558906457374_229894907123774_433407_758909534_o.jpg
    462788_236558906457374_229894907123774_433407_758909534_o.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 471718_235327746580490_229894907123774_430541_803272327_o.jpg
    471718_235327746580490_229894907123774_430541_803272327_o.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 333

3) 1 hand alone

xxx

Sorry for jumping in on this thread, BUT Iv just had a look at your photos on Facebook, and love your RockStars, where do you get you glitter from?

x

i use a app called merge and share

Another thing I forgot to say was natural light as others have suggested. If you can, go in the garden or by a window! I've never had a problem photographing rockstars, the only thing I find is that when using flash the glitter comes out a different colour altogether than when in sunlight.

xx

Latest posts

Back