taking the P!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRI

Reaction score
Please can anyone tell me what you would do. I work from home, i had a girl in this week for a set of nail which went well but when she was with me she told me she is always having her nails done but she is really heavy handed and usally ends up pick at enhancement until they come off. Anyway she phoned a day later & said had a problem with one nail, fair enough i said i would sort it at her convience. Well she wanted to do today at 10 (bad day for me as kids are at home & my youngest is a bit poorly) still i agreed. Well she phones up an hour late then says she got drunk & lost some nails and needs them replaced today!!!!!:mad:
The other thing is do i charge her for the work??

I know we need to keep our customers, but do we really need customers that demand and expect us to do things at the drop of a hat!

We do have a life to.

I would explain that it is not convenient but you were trying to fit her in around your family for her benefit and not yours and if she still wants them done then it would now have to be on a convenient day for you. (said politely with a sweet smile off course!)

Sounds to me like she hasn't respected the work that you put in on her nails.

I know its as if because i work from home its not a propper job & i can just drop everything for her!!
Anyway even though i am P off i said yes and im going to do them when she gets up (oh i know!!)

Maybe you could say that you don't normally work Sat as you have the kids at home and although you would have been able to fix one for her you can't really manage more than one so is she available at all Monday?

I know its as if because i work from home its not a propper job & i can just drop everything for her!!
Anyway even though i am P off i said yes and im going to do them when she gets up (oh i know!!)

You must charge her!

Otherwise you are setting a precedent and she will continue to take the P

Please can anyone tell me what you would do. I work from home, i had a girl in this week for a set of nail which went well but when she was with me she told me she is always having her nails done but she is really heavy handed and usally ends up pick at enhancement until they come off. Anyway she phoned a day later & said had a problem with one nail, fair enough i said i would sort it at her convience. Well she wanted to do today at 10 (bad day for me as kids are at home & my youngest is a bit poorly) still i agreed. Well she phones up an hour late then says she got drunk & lost some nails and needs them replaced today!!!!!:mad:
The other thing is do i charge her for the work??

Yes I would charge her her for replacements!
Personally I would have offered her an appointment time - I wouldn't have offered her my 'strings' to play with.
If she still wanted an appointment outside of my working hours, I would charge for that too.

To me it is not important if the client respects my work - yes I want them to love and care for what I have created - but at the end of the day, they are just fake nails to so many clients.

What is important to me is that the client repects Me and My Time!

I would stil do them, BUT i would do the one she's not happy with for free, but i would charge her for each replacement nail, youv'e got your stuff out anyway, id make the most of it, and i would tell her that in future to remember that you dont work a Sat and that there would be an extra charge (weekend rate you could call it) But tell her you wont charge her this time, but just to bare it in mind. This way she'l think twice about doing it again.
Hope this helps.
CAZ X

I would stil do them, BUT i would do the one she's not happy with for free, but i would charge her for each replacement nail, youv'e got your stuff out anyway, id make the most of it, and i would tell her that in future to remember that you dont work a Sat and that there would be an extra charge (weekend rate you could call it) But tell her you wont charge her this time, but just to bare it in mind. This way she'l think twice about doing it again.
Hope this helps.
CAZ X

this would be my approach too.

Hope this helps.
CAZ X
i too agree with this.its always hard when situations like this happen but you must put your foot down otherwise she will keep taking the p***.just explain that if you do it for her then everyone would else would also expect it.at the end of the day you are trying to make a living not do people favours,she's your client not a friend.
i would be the same in your situation ive let people take the p*** out of me in the past as i thought it might make them a 'regular' client but most still always come back when they can be bothered..good luck:)

Hope this helps.
CAZ X

This is the way I'd play it too. Well, now you've committed yourself to doing them today, anyway lol.

In reality, when she rang up saying she'd got drunk and bashed some more up I think I would have had an emergency on myself and would certainly not have accommodated her, said I would ring back when I could, and let the beggars drop off . . . then been fully booked next time.

Just a tip though, I work from home and yes there is definitely a tendency to think that you are always available . . . also a tendency to think it doesn't matter if they don't show up sometimes :smack:. Over the four years I have developed the following strategy: NEVER discuss your private reasons why you cannot accommodate, you either have an appointment slot to offer them or you don't . . . once you let them in on exact reasons, you hand over the control to them. ALWAYS say you are busy, even if you aren't particularly, if they think they are all-important to you they will take the P. Lastly, if you get vibes that someone is going to be a pain in the a..e (like this one), don't worry about letting them go . . . there are lovely clients out there, who needs sh.t from this kind. :hug:

Thank you all so much for your great adivce, i think i will become a bit more savy as time goes on. I managed to have a quick read of this thread just before she arrived & i felt so much more confident in dealing with her & its good to know you have others support even though i work alone.

I did her nails when she eventually turned up but to her credit she did pay straight away. I also explained that i dont do sat & from now on i need more notice.

Thank you all!!!

Hi I have seen this type of behavior before ,
I am not saying for certain but
it sounds like she may have an ocd type of problem ,
(a lot of us have a bit of this in us)

where she just has to pick them off , she will then get you to repair them and she will keep picking perhaps one or two or perhaps all of them

she may admit it then again she may not
but usually she will make payment for them no problem ,
but if you feel she is in the salon way too much and wasting her money ,

you may then need to be strong and take control of the situation,

and say in a kind way
"look I feel like you are just wasting your hard earned cash by doing this".

You may have to refuse to do her nails anymore or be strong and "say any sign of picking and I cannot do them" ect ect ...

I just thought id share with you what happened in our shop ,
I know it may be a different situation
but its just something to keep your eye on :hug: x

Thank you, yeah i did think was a bit strange that she paid so willing and the damage was to her left hand, she also said that had i not done her nails today she would have picked them all off and gone somewhere for a full set.
I also asked her how often she has to have her infills done, she looked a bit red in the face and said she doesnt normally have infills but a new set every time!!!

I think she might be a serial enhancement addict!!!

I would repair the one she broke foc, but the other ten I would charge her for. What a cheek. xx

I would repair the one she broke foc, but the other ten I would charge her for. What a cheek. xx
same here....what a bleeping cheek some people will have to get what they want....do they think that a nail tech is a charity!!!!!

Thank you all so much for your great adivce, i think i will become a bit more savy as time goes on. I managed to have a quick read of this thread just before she arrived & i felt so much more confident in dealing with her & its good to know you have others support even though i work alone.

I did her nails when she eventually turned up but to her credit she did pay straight away. I also explained that i dont do sat & from now on i need more notice.

This site is great for support, isn't it . . . when you work on your own you can feel a bit out on a limb. I wish I'd had internet access when I started out, it would have made life so much nicer to be able to chat problems through on here. I joined this site in January this year and it's just great. :hug:

Yep, and if any of my clients had 11 fingers I would definately charge extra!!!!:wink2::wink2:

(soz couldn't resist!)

Hi I have seen this type of behavior before ,
I am not saying for certain but
it sounds like she may have an ocd type of problem ,
(a lot of us have a bit of this in us)

where she just has to pick them off , she will then get you to repair them and she will keep picking perhaps one or two or perhaps all of them

she may admit it then again she may not
but usually she will make payment for them no problem ,
but if you feel she is in the salon way too much and wasting her money ,

you may then need to be strong and take control of the situation,

and say in a kind way
"look I feel like you are just wasting your hard earned cash by doing this".

You may have to refuse to do her nails anymore or be strong and "say any sign of picking and I cannot do them" ect ect ...

I just thought id share with you what happened in our shop ,
I know it may be a different situation
but its just something to keep your eye on :hug: x

I know someone like this. Put her nails on every week. A perfectly good set of nails. Next week. they just fell off! I now find some excuse not to do them.

i will be avoiding her calls! I dont mind if she admits its her fault but i dont want other people to think its mine. And from now on if someone is 20mins late (without a call)then its too late for me!!!!!!

Thank you, yeah i did think was a bit strange that she paid so willing and the damage was to her left hand, she also said that had i not done her nails today she would have picked them all off and gone somewhere for a full set.
I also asked her how often she has to have her infills done, she looked a bit red in the face and said she doesnt normally have infills but a new set every time!!!

I think she might be a serial enhancement addict!!!

i will be avoiding her calls! I dont mind if she admits its her fault but i dont want other people to think its mine. And from now on if someone is 20mins late (without a call)then its too late for me!!!!!!

I wouldn't avoid her calls.

I'd talk to her.
She has admitted she can't help picking at them. Tell her you would like to help her break that habit & for her to have beautiful nails all the time.

Sell her some cuticle oil & a buffer. Tell her when ever she has the urge to pick, to rub in oil or buff instead.
Book appointments weekly for a while. You shouldn't have to do much, but if she knows she's got an appointment soon it gives her more motivation to leave them alone.
Make the effort to get her in ASAP if she does call with a problem, but charge for the privledge.

Latest posts

Back