Taking the plunge

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumblebee78

Reaction score
I'm going to make the leap and go from home salon to professional salon. I've found a potential premises that will need a complete refit as it is an empty shell at the moment.

Has anyone else done this and needed to put walls , plumbing etc? How much did it cost to get the salon up and running?

Thanks in advance!!

a few of my friends/colleagues have had to do complete refurbs and its cost them around the £20k mark but as each premises are different and new problems could arise during the work i would estimate a little more to make sure. I looked at a premises a few years ago that needed alot of work like you stud walls, kitchen, plumbing ,electric most of which i could get done at cost price by family but decided to leave it as the rent was quite high and wasnt sure it was worth it at time.

someone once told me go and sit outside the shop you are looking at for an hour at a time and count your footfall to establish if its in a good spot.

good luck

Thanks souz. I had a feeling it might be as much as that, but then I need to look at it as a long term investment and it is my dream!!!!

We spent around £20k on our last salon. Think really really carefully about it, running a salon is SO SO SO expensive. Think of it in how many hours you have to work to take home the same amount you do now, after paying rent, business rates, electric, water, phone, internet, advertising, staff, products etc etc etc
Overestimate rather than underestimate and try not to get caught up in the excitement of it all.
Thats what I did and ended up going bankrupt in 2009! x

Latest posts

Back