Taking too long to do nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trusty754

Reaction score
I am new to the industry and work mobile, i am finding it is taking me 2 1/2 hours to do a full set of Acrylic nails and polish. I really want to get my time down but dont want to rush and make the nails look bad, any tips on being quicker would be greatly appreciated.:green:

Hi and welcome x

Yeah it does take time to get your timing down.

I personally don't worry about it at all,i am freelance,i do them,i don't look at the clock and get done when i'm done,ususally 2 hrs.

I am happy with this and ook in clients accordingly,i expect in time,my timings will reduce,however atm,if i were to be any quicker i would not feel i had done my best,there's no point in rushing,allhough i do feel that isw different in a salon,but again,it will come with experience,just don't put too much pressure on your self.

Most clients would rather be in the chair that bit longer and have great nails,than e in and out with a poor quality set

Fyi,take a look at the poppit threads,this is a new method wich can be used for faster application,however you will still need to master the art of an hand built nail.

Best of luck and don't focus on it too much x

I think its best to take longer then to rush things and have a crappy result, as time goes on you will find that you get your time down,my best tip is dont chit chat to much!!

I'm having the same trouble however just in the last couple of weeks I have noticed my time getting quicker, you'll get there honey!!

you want best results hun and that takes time so dont worry....the more sets you do the quicker you will be , but , its not about time,its about the nails looking good....so chill!!!!!!!! xx

I've got the same problem especially if u r using a hand file..it takes ages :irked:
i think its years of experience makes u faster...hoop we will get there soon..

One of the best tips I can give you to help with timing is not to use too many files and implements and stopping to dust and have a look all the time!!

Doing these things really slows you up.

When you get used to how you lay down your product, you won't need to check all the time on your progress. You will use maybe one file only for most things. You won't dust anymore. You'll do better work with your brush so you wont have to file. etc.

Skill is not learnt in a day or even a year for many. Keep to a set routine, don't talk too much :lol:, keep your head down and don't make too much eye contact with your clients. You can't be looking at them and doing their nails at the same time..

I've got the same problem especially if u r using a hand file..it takes ages :irked:
i think its years of experience makes u faster...hoop we will get there soon..

E-file will help save you arms and does make your work day easier, It can help with lifting, and there are nails art that only possible with it.
However hand filing can be just as fast, the key is to build a nail that don't need a lots of filing. Easier said than done right, but it's possible.
E-file it such a miss leading name, put a drill bit on it, and it will make a clean hole just like a drill, you should find someone to help you first before getting one.

I do agreed that in time you will get faster, just the question of how long that will take. I have trained many nail techs over the years, one of which is now a member of OPI A-Team. We don't call it training, we call it process of eliminations.
what that mean is find out what you are doing wrong, and correct it.
You already know how to do a set of nails. So now you need to break up each step. Prep, tips or forms applycation.............. and the only way to do that is to get yourself a coach. (ever hear of a self coach Olympic champion)

One other place to look is, a place we all industry call bad bad bad... nonstandard, discounts salon, speed shop....... go get your nails done at difference shops, take what they do, and go to a process of elimination, you will be surprise of what you will learn.

One big thing you can do right now is to come up with routine, and stick to it, doing every thing exactly the same every time this will not only give you consistency, but it will increase speed dramatically.
I'm want you to See this videos just for the application part, and the hand filing. pay close attention to how the nail is file, notice where I started on each nail and where I end is exactly the same, also notice that I file each area till it's good and move on, don't dance all over the nails and file a little bit on the left than goto the right and than back to the left.

Please don't use this videos a learning tool for E-file event if you are a current drill user. No one should ever learn E-file from a video.

YouTube - Acrylic Nails P&W Back-fill part 1
YouTube - Acrylic Nails P&W Back-fill part2

Hi and welcome to the world of nails!

It takes time to get your time down. Another advice is to have a clock at your side and have a look at it every now and then. This usually speed you up a little bit, because you will be aware of the time you use.

BUT I will say, as the other have said, it's more important to do a good and nice set of nails than to use less time. I also use time, even I have been in the industry for nearly 10 years! My clients prefer to let me use the time, than rush through it and do a less nicer set of nails. But of course, I wished I could do it faster as time is money, but on the other hand, satisfied clients are also money...:)

C.

Latest posts

Back