Talking point really .... got an answer from Mandi .. views?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooh

Reaction score
Put me right if you can please ??

I did the equivelent 4 day foundation course with NSI that gave me my nail tech certificate. That course included manicure techniques but did not obviously include a manacurists diploma.

OK, so now I want to do a 'proper' man/ped course but have discovered my local college only do this as part of a 3 year beauticians course!

So, what can I do from here? I am a nail tech trained by NSI have almost 12 month experience in salon, am still wanting to do the Creative SpaMan course, but have no apparent way to get good manicure training that results in a diploma.

Can I do it via one-to-one? Also ....... sorry if this is mixed up ........ on the Internet I see companies doing a ONE DAY manicure course with a diploma, yet a some colleges do the same but over 9 weeks ... as long as 3 years !!

I am SO confused!! I want to get on and improve my knowledge and what I can offer the customer, but where can I start? Archhhh !

Can you or anyone help or advise ..........

Dee xx

I have now checked out learning direct and find even more confusion ...... in that there are a number of companies and/or colleges offering manicure courses that end in the trainee getting a certificate ............. great ........... wait for it!! ....... which may be NVQ approved, BSY approved (who they?), City and Guilds approved or VTCT approved !! Wow,

Maybe I should be a gardener after all :)

Dee in Somerset xx

I can well understand your frustration!

The reality is that a manicure is a very simple process and the techniques including massage can be taught quite quickly ... the nitty gritty knowledge re: circulation, bone structure and musculature and nail physiology can actually be learned from a book!! There is no big mystery about doing a manicure or pedicure for that matter.

Some colleges offer a 2 week course in the summer time that is remote from the 3 year BT course. And ANY learning can be assessed towards an nvq or other qualification if you keep the evidence to prove that you have completed the course successfully (ie test papers etc).

I would get going and do a course that allows you to perform the service and worry about the so called 'recognized' qualification later. The SpaManicure and Pedicure classes teach you everything you need to know to perform an excellent and luxurious treatment that your clients will love and the 'book learning' info is also supplied to you. So you should be all set.

Many thanks for the feedback and advice. Maybe I have got a bit uptight as I had to make so MANY phone calls to get advice ...... but then ended up getting it on here. WIll know where to start next time :D

Very much looking forward to my day at Salisbury next week and I am sure I will learn lots, and enjoy it too .... can't wait.

Thanks again everyone who answered both postings.

Dee in Somerset xx

hello pooh,
there are 2 colleges near me, one vtct is for mani/pedi and waxing, the other is mani/pedi, (the one i start in a couple of weeks) then you go onto nail extensions next february, these are all part of the 3 year beauty full time course but it is broken up so you can choose to do parts of it on a part time basis ( evenings), are you sure they said you have to do the 3 years course in full ?
if that IS the case i would do the creative spa course and worry about the nvq/vtct or what ever they are going to call it later.
best of luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back