tan cracking, help !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julie 791140

Reaction score
hello,
please can anyone help with a problem i continue to get with all of my tans ( on myself ). for arms and upper arm cracking ! literally second day.i exfoliate day before and moisturise anything up to 5 days thoroughly beforehand but nothing seems to help. this happens with any product that i use.is there a product that i should be using before i apply tan.

thanks in advance.

I get this too! I exfoliate and moisturise and do everything I should, but still get this 'lizard skin' effect!! Grr :-(

can I ask what tan u are using x

i have used st tropez, vani-t and tan solutions, have just recieved a sample of xen-tan to try next wk , hoping this will be better.

I get this too! I exfoliate and moisturise and do everything I should, but still get this 'lizard skin' effect!! Gir :-(

that is exactly what its like , i feel your pain lol ! x

I get it on the underside of my army and my shins. Its only recently though, Iv always had tans and its never happened before. I have had it eith sienna x and solglo. Iv also had skin soreness, like sunburn from my recent tans too, weird!!!

sounds to me like your using too high a DHA , tan cracks and fades badly when your either putting too much solution on the skin, or your putting a high percentage DHA on light skin tone.
Try a low percentage 8% solution applied lightly one coat all over the body you should be aiming to use around 40ml allow 6 to 8 hours for the tan to cure and shower off the guide colour,.
this will give even people with light skin tones a natural looking tan :hug:

I get this if I use a higher percentage ie:

If I use a 10% I am fine no lizard skin (I only get it on my lower leg at the front) But if I use a 12% then this is when I get it.

I think it's a dha overload

I get this if my shins are really dry, if they are I put moisturiser on then wrap legs in clingfilm the night before, helps alot! But could also be your shower gel if it contains oil (eg dove) or high ph level (eg imperial leather) I recommend radox or simple. Make sure you are using an oil free moisturiser daily, I have been using fake bakes spray (that I usually use for dry areas before tanning) and have not had any lizzard skin for weeks :) xx

I get this if I use a higher percentage ie:

If I use a 10% I am fine no lizard skin (I only get it on my lower leg at the front) But if I use a 12% then this is when I get it.

I think it's a dha overload
Its to do with skin thickness, your shins are naturally stretched as your calf muscles grow making the skin in this area much thinner, therefore when your shins shed skin, because the skin is stretched and thinner the breakdown is more noticeable, and with high DHA it does appear to break down quicker as the tanned skin is darker,
its the reverse with the palms of your hands and feet as the skin is very thick around 4mm in some people, it absorbs the DHA more and goes very dark and takes forever to fade, my fingers are always dark brown from bottling up:irked:
its far better to use a lighter DHA solution and get a natural look than push your skin to the limits and have a bad fade off
it seems like nowadays people want stronger and stronger DHA but if you dont have the right skin types to handle 14% and above you will look dreadfull after 3 days
as has been said moisturising gives the shedding skin a longer life, so helps prevent the snake skin look hth

Its to do with skin thickness, your shins are naturally stretched as your calf muscles grow making the skin in this area much thinner, therefore when your shins shed skin, because the skin is stretched and thinner the breakdown is more noticeable, and with high DHA it does appear to break down quicker as the tanned skin is darker,
its the reverse with the palms of your hands and feet as the skin is very thick around 4mm in some people, it absorbs the DHA more and goes very dark and takes forever to fade, my fingers are always dark brown from bottling up:irked:
its far better to use a lighter DHA solution and get a natural look than push your skin to the limits and have a bad fade off
it seems like nowadays people want stronger and stronger DHA but if you dont have the right skin types to handle 14% and above you will look dreadfull after 3 days
as has been said moisturising gives the shedding skin a longer life, so helps prevent the snake skin look hth

It's just one shin for me, my right one! It's very pale and quite itchy at time and looks bad when wearing off, the tan is good and I only use a light one but within a couple of days i have a white patch :-/
Sorry im going off topic, but Do ALL spray tans have a drying effect? My skin does look very dry in 2 days

It's just one shin for me, my right one! It's very pale and quite itchy at time and looks bad when wearing off, the tan is good and I only use a light one but within a couple of days i have a white patch :-/
Sorry im going off topic, but Do ALL spray tans have a drying effect? My skin does look very dry in 2 days
not really, we have put aloe vera vitamin A, B5,& vitamin E in ours in order to help condition the skin and balance the natural pha values , we also dont use de natured alcohol, that is present in a lot of spray tans, or parabens we use natural organic active ingredients, no tan can be totally organic as we all have to add a preservative other wise it would last about 3 days in the bottles, but ours is as natural as you can get, if your using the correct strength DHA for your skin type you should not have a problem with skin shedding or dha overload

not really, we have put aloe vera vitamin A, B5,& vitamin E in ours in order to help condition the skin and balance the natural pha values , we also dont use de natured alcohol, that is present in a lot of spray tans, or parabens we use natural organic active ingredients, no tan can be totally organic as we all have to add a preservative other wise it would last about 3 days in the bottles, but ours is as natural as you can get, if your using the correct strength DHA for your skin type you should not have a problem with skin shedding or dha overload

hi,
thanx for all your advice, do you do samples of Nouvatan that i could try. Am interested to see if yours is any better. i'm always paranoid my clients will get the same problem.

I think nouvatan charge for samples as I was looking. I have heard good reviews from sunless solutions so I will see how I am with that.

Please don't let having to pay for samples put you off! Nouvatan is fantastic and by being too tight to pay for samples, people miss out on a great solution.

I got free samples of a certain solution and it was dreadful!

I get this to the front of my shin also but use the lowest % I can, I found it's oil in moisturisers and having the shower to hot...once I stopped I moved to a 10% and not till the end of the week does it start turning lizzardy so much better I also find I need to leave more than a a day for hair removal before tans because my skin goes so dry...
xx

I sprayed myself for the first time last week and got this lizard effect! I used fakebake dark, as I was out of original and totally oversprayed with my cack handed attempt! I used oul to remove the old tan a few days before! Lol so I actually think it could be any of the above answers! I do use simple and radox though and never had this prob before! X

Latest posts

Back