Tan going scale like!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki-Marie

Reaction score
Ive been tanning for a few years and im fully aware that a fake tan is exactly that .. its fake, and it will eventually be gone! I exfoliate regularly after a tan, moisturise the whole shebang. But my tan always goes scaley looking after about 5 days to a week! Its so irritating because i look dirty and its not a good advertisement for me to be looking this way while trying to advertise my spray tan!
Does everyone have this issue? I know it will wear off but ive never known other peoples to look as nasty as mine. Maybe its just my skin? xx

Ive been tanning for years and im fully aware that a fake tan is exactly that .. its fake, and it will eventually be gone! I exfoliate regularly after a tan, moisturise the whole shebang. But my tan always goes scaley looking after about 5 days to a week! Its so irritating because i look dirty and its not a good advertisement for me to be looking this way while trying to advertise my spray tan!
Does everyone have this issue? I know it will wear off but ive never known other peoples to look as nasty as mine. Maybe its just my skin? xx
Do you suffer with particularly dry skin?This combined with the fact that fake tans do dry the skin could be the cause.

Just try a richer moisturiser and maybe moisturise a bit more often than you have been,also dont forget to exfoliate.HTH

Hi Nicki-Marie, i read somewhere that after a tan you should not exfoliate untill into the 5th day, but moisturise twice daily! i do spray tanning also and am naturally very pale but always very dark and i know should just tan lightly because of my colouring, but love to be dark, when the tan is fading its a nightmare but i usually only have arms and face exposed and clients dont see the feet, thanks god, lol, x Roma

I am quite pale and did think that was the reason the fading shows up more on me. The worst areas are in the creases of my elbows my neck and my chest. I love having nice glow but this has always been a problem for me. x

Ive been tanning for a few years and im fully aware that a fake tan is exactly that .. its fake, and it will eventually be gone! I exfoliate regularly after a tan, moisturise the whole shebang. But my tan always goes scaley looking after about 5 days to a week! Its so irritating because i look dirty and its not a good advertisement for me to be looking this way while trying to advertise my spray tan!

Have you tried them exfoliatin gloves you can get? Boost and superdrug sell them for about £2, i used them every time i am in the shower and then moisturise after even if i havent got tan on. They just take that dead skin off and make your tan come off even all over so its better for when you apply more tan as you dont get a darker bit here and there.
xx

I found this with a couple of brands of tan I tried, I now use vani-T and don't have that problem atall and it lasts longer than 5 days, 7-10 on average.
i don't practice what I preach and very rarely moisturise when I have a tan on.
Are you putting the tan on yourself?
Try not putting too much on your inner elbows, only spray once if you spray twice etc or hold back if you only spray once.
I wouldn't exfoliate until the 4th day and then only very lightly.

You may find with some tans that it will fade unevenly, this is because our skin cells are shed at different times and not shed evenly. You should find that if you moisturise daily and exfoliate lightly on day 5 following your tan this should help.

are you applying tans one on top of the other?? cos when one is tryin to shed the other is going too, the reason its going in creases is cos its rubbing, and the snake skin affect is deffo dry skin

liz xxx

Hi again, you may be sweating more in the areas you mentioned and as you know thats another reason why the tan may go patchy, wear lighter pjz's, lol, x Roma

It goes scale like then im able to literally rub it off in pieces. It would make my life easier if it just faded :) I put the tan on myself yes, dont apply a tan until the previous one has faded otherwise id be in a right old patchy pickle! My skin is on the dry side, so this could be another factor. The tan seems to suit my clients. But i may just try a few other solution samples to see how they differ. xx

Try switching your moisturiser to an oil free one. I find this definately helps :)

And steer clear of Dove products......

Just out of interest - what happens if you use Dove? Is it just dove or is it moisturising products similar to dove aswell?

Which tan solution do you use if you don't mind me asking? I used to use Sienna and had exactly the same problem. Although most of mine end up scaley after a while I too am very pale naturally. Have found my new tan to fade more evenly and less patchy. Now using Beau Bronz

I think Dove is super alkaline or something, so it strips the tan because it disturbs the acid mantle of the skin. Think I remember hearing this explanation somewhere, but I'm not 100%.

I use california tan. Will try an oil free moisturiser to see if that helps. Although i do use a tan extender for the first couple of days. Thanks for your suggestions girlies. x

Sun Spa do a cream based spray tan which is excellent for dry and mature skins.

I think Dove is super alkaline or something, so it strips the tan because it disturbs the acid mantle of the skin. Think I remember hearing this explanation somewhere, but I'm not 100%.

thanks for clearing that up for me.

Preparation is always a good start but if you are doing this you may find the dha in the solution is too strong for your skin type or it has been over applied and that it will go patchy during the fade off time if this is the case.

It is a very common problem when there is a dha overload. This is why I always stick to the 5% solution - as the 8% and higher will go patchy on my very pale skin. Always have a solution which is suited to your skin type.

HTH

Mandy x

Latest posts

Back