Tan gone patchy after 4 days

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristy White

Reaction score
Did my 3rd spray tan and client / friend has found her tan has gone patchy on her arm and tummy. All fine on her legs and other arm

She said she exfoliated well pre tan and followed all the guidance on patting dry after shower, moisturising etc.

Used the same solution, spray gun, gun settings etc for whole tan so confused why only patchy in some areas.

Friend has mentioned getting hot and sweaty the next day after tan was applied and has worked out at least once since the issue started

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6860.JPG
    IMG_6860.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6861.JPG
    IMG_6861.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6862.JPG
    IMG_6862.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 102
Has she been rubbing it with a towel after a shower, it looks like she couldn't of exfoliated properly

Has she been rubbing it with a towel after a shower, it looks like she couldn't of exfoliated properly
Well she said she has been patting dry and did and does exfoliate regularly and particularly the night before the tan.

She was recently on holiday but the tan faded quickly, wouldn't be a skin reaction would it?

What solution did you use? brand and %?

I used Sienna x, 10% , same bottle used for other tans, been open a couple of weeks.

How long has the tan been on when she took the pics?

Ok, honestly stay away from any tan in the €40-€50 range. They are cheap, crap and orange.

The best tans are a little dearer and really do make a difference.
Good tans aren't cheap and cheap tans aren't Good!

In honesty Sienna X is quite orange and very patchy anyway.
But a good quality tan is never patchy.

This is the exact reason why I never compete with girls and salons around my area, they use really cheap tan and charge €10-15 I can't compete because my tan is expensive and I won't compete because if your using quality solution and you know it's great you don't feel the need to compete.
What tan do you recommend then? I went with Sienna x as had been taught it in my training and all the tans we did looked good and mine lasted well

Ok, honestly stay away from any tan in the €40-€50 range. They are cheap, crap and orange.

The best tans are a little dearer and really do make a difference.
Good tans aren't cheap and cheap tans aren't Good!

In honesty Sienna X is quite orange and very patchy anyway.
But a good quality tan is never patchy.

This is the exact reason why I never compete with girls and salons around my area, they use really cheap tan and charge €10-15 I can't compete because my tan is expensive and I won't compete because if your using quality solution and you know it's great you don't feel the need to compete.
What tan do you recommend then? I went with Sienna x as had been taught it in my training and all the tans we did looked good and mine lasted well

I love Morroccan Tan for 3 reasons:

1. Colour is beautiful olive brown tan
2. Fade of is not patchy or scaly
3. The development time is half that of other tans.

Get a sample and try it best thing I ever did.
Here is a pic I did a sample of yesterday.
It is patchy cause I needed to do a sample and I didn't have time to exfoliate but look at that colour tho!

Attachments

• IMAG0087_1.jpg
    IMAG0087_1.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 117
Depending upon how thorough her prep was and the condition of her skin, it may well be that the tan was ready to be removed after 5 days or she may not have been moisturising afterwards

I agree with the above lady, also I think she has sweated a lot, maybe while she was in bed and she has not looked after her tan. I don't think this is your fault.

Following on from this.. what would you say to the client if they approached you with this?
(I am a total newbie - got my course next month) sorry for jumping on your post xx

I always offer a free tan . I find the first time tanners ( never had a spray tan before) are the worst for complaining. I've only done a few free tans in 6 years but I do as a good will gesture.

I always offer a free tan . I find the first time tanners ( never had a spray tan before) are the worst for complaining. I've only done a few free tans in 6 years but I do as a good will gesture.

I wouldn't offer a free tan! as long as you have given them the correct pre-tan and after-tan advice it is up to them if they follow it. (Give them an aftercare leaflet to take home). I warn clients (nicely!) that if they don't follow the advice their tan won't last as long and could go patchy. I think it's important that our clients have faith in us as professionals but if we start to offer free tans after 5 days they either think we're not very good, our products aren't very good or that we're a soft touch and will try and take advantage and try it on again!

If the tan developed nicely to begin with then you've done your part properly and problems occurring after 5 days imply she maybe she hasn't followed the correct pre or after care advice. Yourntion she'd been on holiday. Was that before or after her spray tan? Clourine in pools and tanning oils remove spray tans really fast! (Worth warning any clients having a spray tan before going on holiday!)

Also, it's worth bearing in mind that there's no one brand that is perfect for everyone. There are enough threads on here that prove we all favour different brands for different reasons, and it could just be that the brand you used just isn't right for her skin type? Sienna X is a very popular brand but I trained in it and as well as finding it very Orange, it also went quite patchy on me so I decided not to go with that brand - yet others get on fine with it.

I wouldn't offer a free tan if it was 5 days later , only if they rang me the next day. I gave a free tan to one girl who moaned. I knew I wasn't in the wrong but I did it as a good will gesture. She is a repeat customer and has had loads of tans with me since. However, if she moaned again I'd advise her to go elsewhere. Ps I also found sienna orange.

Fakebake and Sienna X are Orange.

I find with clients who never had a spray tan or the type who don't wear Makeup and don't ever tan only for special occasions they are the worst they literally ask every question and ring me on the 4th like the tan is fading.

They think spray tan shouldn't fade and go patchy and scaly but they all do to a degree as it's the skin cells fading and thats life. All fake tanning of any kind at home and professional ALL fade of patchy some clients just don't get that cause they aren't use to it.

I take all care and precautions sometimes it is the clients fault(most of the time). I had a client last week who I told to rinse her tan after 5 hours or it will go ultra dark. She fell asleep with it on for 9 hours and showered twice in the one day. After 9 hours I doubt this will make a difference but this is just an example of clients not listening. All we can do is advise and have our tan looking amazing.

Some clients tell me they hate spray tan cause the after care of moisturizing and the fade of and I'm like don't do it then? LOL

it can be down to a number of reasons but a tan really shouldn't fade after 4 days it should still be going strong. It could be down to what she was using in the shower or what she has been moisturising with, if either had any oil or perfume ingredients this can strip a tan .
it could be down to the fact that even though she followed the pre care her skin may not have been in great condition before hand dry or dehydrated maybe, and will take constant up keep of her skin care to get longevity in her tan .
Ive seen it lots of times and each time a clients tan lasts longer and longer because the have started to look after their skin right down to staying hydrated.

It could of course be the solution and the speed you spray - is your gun to high and your over spraying too much dha applied also causes stripping .
personally i dont rate sienna , but i dont believe that the most expensive is best . Ive sampled over 50 tans in my first year of tanning and some good some bad and all price ranges . Your deffo not going to get a quality finish with cheap tans tho , but there are good brands at affordable prices.

I decided to stick with Suntana - and yes its not the most expensive out there it is affordable but my clients all loved it , i was getting more compliments on the colour and fade off , fragrance and drying time . so now i have used it for the past 6 years .

so maybe just shop around and see what fits and you will find a solution you like working with , it makes all the difference its not a one size fita all .
Also dont be afraid to reach out to solution companies and ask for a sample - and of course it could just be one of them things as these things happen HTH x

it can be down to a number of reasons but a tan really shouldn't fade after 4 days it should still be going strong. It could be down to what she was using in the shower or what she has been moisturising with, if either had any oil or perfume ingredients this can strip a tan .
it could be down to the fact that even though she followed the pre care her skin may not have been in great condition before hand dry or dehydrated maybe, and will take constant up keep of her skin care to get longevity in her tan .
Ive seen it lots of times and each time a clients tan lasts longer and longer because the have started to look after their skin right down to staying hydrated.

It could of course be the solution and the speed you spray - is your gun to high and your over spraying too much dha applied also causes stripping .
personally i dont rate sienna , but i dont believe that the most expensive is best . Ive sampled over 50 tans in my first year of tanning and some good some bad and all price ranges . Your deffo not going to get a quality finish with cheap tans tho , but there are good brands at affordable prices.

I decided to stick with Suntana - and yes its not the most expensive out there it is affordable but my clients all loved it , i was getting more compliments on the colour and fade off , fragrance and drying time . so now i have used it for the past 6 years .

so maybe just shop around and see what fits and you will find a solution you like working with , it makes all the difference its not a one size fita all .
Also dont be afraid to reach out to solution companies and ask for a sample - and of course it could just be one of them things as these things happen HTH x
Can I ask which suntana solutions you prefer? I've only trialled 10 at most however I rated suntana one of the lowest until the violet solution was released. I found some were very orange and fade off is bad. It clings to the skin and goes patchy.

i just use the 8,10,12& 14 solutions , see ive never found them orange always complimented on the brown tones suntana has - i do find their solution a bit thicker so the gun needs adjusted for the right spray , always had good fade off too.

I have just trilled crazy tan for the first time recently from my local wholesalers , colour is good ( not as good as suntana , im my opinion) but applies well and very quick drying , not used on customers tho x

Can I ask which suntana solutions you prefer? I've only trialled 10 at most however I rated suntana one of the lowest until the violet solution was released. I found some were very orange and fade off is bad. It clings to the skin and goes patchy.

How would you rate their violet range?

Latest posts

Back