Tan looks different with different machines?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichelleG1978

Reaction score
Do any of you find the same brand spray tan goes on different with different machines? I've been using la tan with a tanning kit I got from la tan themselves but found my clients were saying that other than the fast tan the colours didn't come out as they should? I've checked the settings on my gun etc and everything is fine. I've recently taken over a salon with its own spray tan gun by sienna x and a stock of sienna. The tan goes on lovely and the clients love it. But now stock is running out and was wondering if my stock of la tan would come out any different using a different gun? Myself and my clients love the la fast tan and the full range has such good reviews, I'm hoping it was my gun that was making the other solutions not very dark and not just that they weren't that good.

It could depend on your "needle" in the gun and the viscosity it lets through and its really hard to compare it or match it but if you keep tweaking your gun with the outlet you should be fine as those tans should be ok with HVLP machines

I'm sure my own gun is set right. I've been tweaking and asking others who have it how theirs is set up. I have no over spray, use around 40mls of solution, and it goes on lovely. I'm just finding that la tan solutions just aren't very dark and aren't going on as the colours they advertise? I'm going to take some to the salon and see how they go on with that gun x

Dont forget that different tans have got different amounts and grades of guide colour which in no way reflects the tan outcome as the guide colour washes off with their first shower. Also tans have different viscosity so you might need to adjust your gun for the different tans x

I haven't noticed that, but I have only used a HVLP machine and different brands and they all spray on the same.

I was hoping there might be something wrong with my gun cos I love la tan and it's not as pricey as the brand in the salon. It has great reviews and endorsements, I just can't get the tans looking like they should do. I even tried the 14% disco which they say is for body builders and it wasn't really that dark?! The fast tan comes out amazing but the other solutions just aren't that dark x

What are you doing to prepare before a spray tan?

I was hoping there might be something wrong with my gun cos I love la tan and it's not as pricey as the brand in the salon. It has great reviews and endorsements, I just can't get the tans looking like they should do. I even tried the 14% disco which they say is for body builders and it wasn't really that dark?! The fast tan comes out amazing but the other solutions just aren't that dark x
I stopped using LA tan for this reason. The 14% started looking like a 10% xx

And its not my machine as i have 3 and it turned out the same no matter which machine i used xx

I find LA 12 darker than Disco, I don't rate the disco tan. I stick to 10 Brown and 12

I've tried the whole range and the only one myself and my clients like is the fast tan. I had a client have the la 10 and she sed once she showered it off she cudnt really tell she had tan on, and clients say the 12 is nice but they'd want to go darker in summer months but I can't offer them any darker as the solutions just don't go that dark. The salon currently uses sienna x but I find it very expensive and the initial layout is a lot when we're just starting out x

What are you doing to prepare before a spray tan?
The usual things.... shower and exfoliate, don't shave or wax at least 24 hours before, no deodorant, moisturisers or make up. Then it's left on overnight and rinsed off with water and non oily moisturiser applied daily x

The usual things.... shower and exfoliate, don't shave or wax at least 24 hours before, no deodorant, moisturisers or make up. Then it's left on overnight and rinsed off with water and non oily moisturiser applied daily x

Menstruation plays a big factor in how dark the tan is, some body washes have moisturiser in them as do razors with a moisturising strip. I found this the hard way when a client shaved with a razor that has a moisturising strip and her legs were streaky.
Some times the products we use to prep have moisturiser in them. Stay away from sulphate as this strips tan.

Last edited:
I've tried the whole range and the only one myself and my clients like is the fast tan. I had a client have the la 10 and she sed once she showered it off she cudnt really tell she had tan on, and clients say the 12 is nice but they'd want to go darker in summer months but I can't offer them any darker as the solutions just don't go that dark. The salon currently uses sienna x but I find it very expensive and the initial layout is a lot when we're just starting out x

Sienna is quite orange. Get a sample of my fav Morroccan Tan. This comes in 8%, 10%, 12% 14%, 16%. There is a violet base range also for olive skin tones, but the green bases are best for our pale skin.

I'll have a look at Moroccan tan, thank you x

Latest posts

Back