Tan overload?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Severnrose

Reaction score
I have a regular lady who has 20% Nouvatan every time. She booked in for this Friday then booked in for today. I reminded her about her original booking on Friday and she said that she wants both tan's.

Now I don't feel like I should spray her with the 20% both times?? She definitely wants it tonight as she has some sort of fashion show tomorrow. I think I remember baggybear saying on a previous post somewhere that if spraying over another tan you have to take in to account the colour that is already on the skin.

I just feel like spraying 20 again on Friday will be a massive DHA overload, is bound to have a really bad wear off, and could chance looking a bit mahogany!!! I have never sprayed anyone this close together before so haven't got a clue how this would turn out. Do you think I should spray her with something like a 12% on Friday? Or even less?? Thanks x

Hi Lovely,yes you will have one MAhogany Mama on you hands I would imagine. I have done what is known as a double dip in the past where they have a tan today and the same again tomorrow or the day after. The fade off will be difficult so you have to be up front with your customer, we all know they are the best adverts for our skills and do you want her to go out there looking less than perfect telling everyone that you did this to her?

If it was me I would tan her with a 12% today and let her go out without washing the guide color off, that way she looks super dark anyway, then on Friday do another 12 or 16% depending on how much color she still has.If she does agree to going out with guide color on, remember she will need to use a mineral powder make up, not an oil based one and wear dark clothing.If you tan her least 4 hrs before she goes out smudging should not be too much of an issue and any floofy bits will get tweaked on Friday.

imho I would prefer to not do this one, she sounds like she is now a Tanorexic hugely addicted to being mega brown.

I believe your best bet is to speak to Nouvatan and see what they recommend, Steve might be about, why not PM him?

Good luck and let us know what happened or even better post a pic of the bfore and after.LOL

Hi Lovely,yes you will have one MAhogany Mama on you hands I would imagine. I have done what is known as a double dip in the past where they have a tan today and the same again tomorrow or the day after. The fade off will be difficult so you have to be up front with your customer, we all know they are the best adverts for our skills and do you want her to go out there looking less than perfect telling everyone that you did this to her?

If it was me I would tan her with a 12% today and let her go out without washing the guide color off, that way she looks super dark anyway, then on Friday do another 12 or 16% depending on how much color she still has.If she does agree to going out with guide color on, remember she will need to use a mineral powder make up, not an oil based one and wear dark clothing.If you tan her least 4 hrs before she goes out smudging should not be too much of an issue and any floofy bits will get tweaked on Friday.

imho I would prefer to not do this one, she sounds like she is now a Tanorexic hugely addicted to being mega brown.

I believe your best bet is to speak to Nouvatan and see what they recommend, Steve might be about, why not PM him?

Good luck and let us know what happened or even better post a pic of the bfore and after.LOL

Thank you so much for the reply. She will never agree to 12% tonight! If anything I can probably persuade her to go lower or not have one at all on Friday. I already spray her top half twice with the 20% as the very first time I sprayed her with the 20 it came out perfect on her legs and nothing on her top half. I sprayed her the same as everyone else so don't think it was me, and she swears she followed all prep info. Anyway since then I've sprayed her top half twice and bottom half once and it comes out nice and even and how she likes it.

I am definitely going to tell her about the wear off, she already knows wear of isn't that great as she is quite pale. However she can get away with the 20% as it does look nice on her which is why I'm happy to keep spraying her with it!

I will give nouvatan a ring and see what they say! Thanks, will let u know what we decide!! ;) x

Please let us know as I would like to hear what they say. I am surprised that she can get away with a 20% if she is naturally pale without any orange overtones. I have not used Nouvatan and wonder if their percentages are different or if they really dont do orange. HAHA

I would spray her as usual with the 20% today and then on Fri assess how well her colour has lasted and judge for yourself how high/low a percent to go with on that spray.

Assuming she will exfoliate on Thursday to prep for her tan of Fri then I would say a 12% will be high enough on Fri to bring the tan back to life and give her a slightly darker look than a fresh 20% would give but not so much so that it looks too much. If she is still looking quite dark go with a lower percent, personally I would try to refrain from telling her what percent she is having on Fri as she might start to argue with you and say she wants another high percent - my tactic would be to say I am using the highest percent I dare to over your existing tan (and then choose whatever percent YOU feel is best for her situation even if that is an 8%).

People's skin can only absorb so much DHA and I doubt very much that she would go above a 22% anyway. The amino acids can only absorb so much.
If she wants another tan then even if you gave her a 20%, it won't make much difference to spraying her with a 12%.

When it is days apart it will make a difference. A tan on a tan will always make a difference, although the skin can only absorb so much DHA at any one time it will then absorb more a day or so later and that is why people used to do double dip tanning (a tan today, wash off and return for another tan 24/48 hours later) before the higher percent solutions were on the market.

Yes I am aware how DHA works.
Putting a 20% on top of another 20% couple of days later is not going to result in a 40% tan.
As the amino acids can only absorb so much, you will never get more than say a 22% tan.
After a couple of days some of the stratum corneum will have shed making the tan a little lighter. The new amino acids will absorb the tan but there won't be a vast amount of amino acids in a couple of days.
With the loss of some of the original tan and the absorption of DHA into the new amino acids, you will definitely go a bit darker but using a 12% or 20% on top of an already developed 20% is not going to be much different.

Latest posts

Back