tan tent, yes or no?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Perfection

Reaction score
I did my tantrick training course yesterday, it was great. Can't wait to get started.
My question is, would you all recommend I buy a pop up cubicle?
I am both mobile and home based. Home salon is not an issue but when going to a client's house I am unsure.
My gun is an hvlp with practically no overspary (that I can see!). Not a tantrick system though.
I have heard that the tents are too dark inside and it is hard to see where you are spraying. I have also heard that a clip on light can be used to combat this.
So I am wondering if it would be ok to use a shower curtain and a large bath sheet on the floor?
Some say ask the client to stand in the bath or shower cubicle but I thought this may be a bit awkard!
Can you please tell me what you all do in these circumstances, thanks xx

I have one and find it very useful. It also looks professional!
I am both mobile and home based and as yet have not had a problem with space etc! When clients see it going up for first time i always get an ooooo!!
I think they are worth their weight in gold!!!

I would suggest getting one, when working mobile it can become part of your marketing ... projecting the clients floors and walls from spray.

I fully intend to get one when I start tanning.

I believe the only way true to appear professional is use professional equipment....a shower curtain is not professional equipment. I wouldn't be very impressed at a nail tech who fashioned her own files and abrasives out of a bit of sandpaper wrapped round a lollipop stick. A professional tanning tent is the only way to ensure your clients home environment is professionally protected.

What you save in pounds by using towels and shower cutrains, you will lose in repeat business. I know clients that have changed to me for this very reason - professionalism, or lack thereof!

Lighting is a challenge, however I have bought some strip light that I have fitted with clips, and they discreetly fits on the inside of my tent, and they light the client perfectly...pics are in the gallery if you want to see the sort of thing

http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=522&userid=

I would also suggest an extension lead fitted with a power supply tester.....it cost a couple of pounds to put together and know I know if a clients power supply is ropey (you'd be amazed how many are) that it cuts out before damaging any of my expensive equipment.....turbines and compressors for tanning can be easily damaged by electircity problems.

I didn't use one at first and nearly sold my tent. I am glad I didn't. I second everything already said about looking professional. I use it in my beauty room and clients always comment on it.

I haven't found lighting too much of an issue because I am now so confident, and my room has fairly good lighting. Zingara's light looks fab tho so I may need to steal that particular idea to make it easier for me.

Thanks for all your advice.
I have just ordered a tent as it was a good price (£55!)
Hopefully it will be ok, picture looked like every other tent I have seen, so fingers crossed.

I do like to be professsional in all my treatments so it makes sense to continue.

I will look into the idea of a light and ways of attaching it to the tent.

Cheers x:hug:

I have one for when doing mobile tanning, i'm mostly home based and don't use one when working from home

xx

I believe the only way true to appear professional is use professional equipment....a shower curtain is not professional equipment. I wouldn't be very impressed at a nail tech who fashioned her own files and abrasives out of a bit of sandpaper wrapped round a lollipop stick. A professional tanning tent is the only way to ensure your clients home environment is professionally protected.

What you save in pounds by using towels and shower cutrains, you will lose in repeat business. I know clients that have changed to me for this very reason - professionalism, or lack thereof!

Lighting is a challenge, however I have bought some strip light that I have fitted with clips, and they discreetly fits on the inside of my tent, and they light the client perfectly...pics are in the gallery if you want to see the sort of thing

http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=522&userid=

I would also suggest an extension lead fitted with a power supply tester.....it cost a couple of pounds to put together and know I know if a clients power supply is ropey (you'd be amazed how many are) that it cuts out before damaging any of my expensive equipment.....turbines and compressors for tanning can be easily damaged by electircity problems.
Hi if you don't mind me asking where did you get the light strip from as i am struggling to see inside my cubicle at the moment been doing them at my house as i have good lighting in my room. Thank you :)

Hi if you don't mind me asking where did you get the light strip from as i am struggling to see inside my cubicle at the moment been doing them at my house as i have good lighting in my room. Thank you :)

I just got them from a lighting shop....one that doea all lights for home and office. Its not a chain, just a single shop near where we live.

Woolies did do something similar....dunno if they still do.

I am just starting up too and asked the same question recently, i got a very positive response about the tents so i have order one and it should come tomorrow. I got a brand new tent for £55 and free delivery. Its the best price- by miles that i have seen, if you want to know where i got it from pm me and i will tell u. Good Luck with your tanning venture!!:)

Sorry just realised you have already bought a tent for £55!! Duh!

Hi Hun

I too have got a tent but I'm mobile and when I spray at home I don't bother with it, when I have been to friends houses if I am only doing one tan I don't bother with the tent as there is not a lot of overspray. The only time I really use the tent is if I have a party to do and I am spraying a few people. :):)

I got a clip on light to go on the side of the cubicle...it is a good idea....looks proffessional too

I just got them from a lighting shop....one that doea all lights for home and office. Its not a chain, just a single shop near where we live.

Woolies did do something similar....dunno if they still do.
thank you hun :)

I have bought 2 vice like clamp lights from ikea to attach above the tent- they do cast a slight shadow but at £2.50 (I think thats how much they are) they are an absolute bargain.

I think in future designs of the tent perhaps a couple of clear windows at the top part would be ideal for a bit of natural light.

Thanks for all your advice.
I have just ordered a tent as it was a good price (£55!)
Hopefully it will be ok, picture looked like every other tent I have seen, so fingers crossed.

I do like to be professsional in all my treatments so it makes sense to continue.

I will look into the idea of a light and ways of attaching it to the tent.

Cheers x:hug:

Hi just wondering where you got your tent for £55. thanks

I am mobile and use a pop up booth.
Mine has a clear 'roof' to allow extra light in.
I find that if I ever use and extra light, it becomes harder for me to see the guide colour (light reflecting off skin - glare).

I love my booth, I have the bronze one btw.
Wouldn't be without it!!

I agree that for one tan or a couple of legs only, a large towel on the floor is fine. Saying that, I take my tent EVERYWHERE I go. It gives me major peace of mind. I put a big towel out front of it... and when putting solution in the jar, I hold inside the tent. I am paranoid about ruining anyones things.
Once you've got the hang of putting it up and down its so quick too. People comment on it, tell their friends about it.
Most of all, it is professional and shows you CARE about them and their houses.

only one answer from me = yes!!!!

more professional than tanning in the bathroom, believe me I know!! started doing tans this way then switched to tent

easy, practical & impressive to clients

I have been wondering about doing spray tanning but am also worried about it escaping out of the tent into someones room. Is this likely do you think?? And what room is best to do it in??

Thx

Latest posts

Back