Tan training: zebra elbows!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umvemve

Reaction score
Hi geeks - hope you can help. Did my tanning training course today which went well.... except that I find, as the tan has developed that I have zebra like stripes on my elbows and lines around my knees (clearly my elbows and knees are wrinklier than I realised!).

How could this have been prevented during the spraying? I am very pale skinned and red haired so it is quite noticeable.

Should a barrier cream have been used? Should these areas have been sprayed with elbow/knee bent to stretch the skin? Should tan in this area have been rubbed afterwards to 'smooth' solution over the area to ensure coverage?

Advice gratefully accepted - I would hate to replicate this on anyone else!

Attachments

• elbow.JPG
    elbow.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 207
Hi there! I would personally put a covering of barrier cream on. I barrier cream elbows, knees, ankles, around the toes, palms of hands, inbetween fingers and finally palms.

Good luck :) x

hmmm that's what I thought but when I asked the trainer she said you don't need barrier cream with this tan lol. Would you use it more sparingly on knees, elbows, ankles and thicker on palms? TY

I would assess it with each person. If they have particularly dry knees/elbows, definitely barrier cream! The tan will cling there! I did a tan last night on my friend who normally has tan grab around her ankles, she has never had a tan with my products before and loved it. No ankle grabbing tan! I barrier creamed her ankles, a thin layer on knees and elbows and thicker on palms. My barrier cream works as a moisturiser and sinks into the skin.

If your worried about the other areas and don't want to apply barrier cream, I would recommend using your mitt and gently dab the area very lightly to give a thin layer of tan, which will take. If that makes any sense at all lol?

Cheers Beautydan - I was wondering about that. When the tan was finished (we were newbies spraying each other) I noticed I had one brown hand and one white (she had sprayed back of one by mistake).

I took some tan off my shower cap *snickers at the glamour of it all* and rubbed this on the back of white hand = now two evenly brown hands. Will try both your suggestions :D

I take it another trainee did this & not the trainer?

I always use barrier cream on elbows no matter what tan I use. also elbows/knees shouldn't be sprayed heavily.

If people have wrinkly skin or looser skin you need to make them stretch, so bending at the knees & bending the elbows etc. which exposes the nooks & crannys so to speak.

basically the skin needs pulling taught to expose in the creases (I think taughts the word? I know what i mean anyway lol) x

haha yes I know what you mean.

[Just to clarify (and protect my street cred) I don't have great folds of loose skin hanging around my arms and legs - I just have lines like rings around them ever since I was a baby.]

I will look out for other wrinkly kindered spirit types though and make them stretch.

Cheers Beautydan - I was wondering about that. When the tan was finished (we were newbies spraying each other) I noticed I had one brown hand and one white (she had sprayed back of one by mistake).

I took some tan off my shower cap *snickers at the glamour of it all* and rubbed this on the back of white hand = now two evenly brown hands. Will try both your suggestions :D

No problem! Happy to help :)

Oh such a glamourous profession we are in ;)

Hi Love,

I always use barrier cream on elbows and knees and while tanning I ask the client to slightly bend their knees while doing the fronts of their legs( Just a tiny bit to open out the wrinkly bits) and do a light mist spray over the area, the same for elbows and of course the "smiley bit" under the bum ( no barrier cream there though )

It will become easier the more you do it, good luck

Those areas will always look funny if the client keeps legs and arms straight. We don't use any barrier cream but if you get your client to keep arms and legs slightly bent while spraying you won't have any problems.

Hi

I have always used a barrier cream on every client and I train my ladys to use barrier cream on everyone and slightly bend there arms so when spraying the elbows you dont get these lines!!

many Thanks & Good Luck

Leela jackson
Sunless Solutions

Hi Love,

I always use barrier cream on elbows and knees and while tanning I ask the client to slightly bend their knees while doing the fronts of their legs( Just a tiny bit to open out the wrinkly bits) and do a light mist spray over the area, the same for elbows and of course the "smiley bit" under the bum ( no barrier cream there though )

It will become easier the more you do it, good luck

Lol! This made me chuckle! Rubbing barrier cream on the 'smile line' think that's where I draw the line! :) x

Lol! This made me chuckle! Rubbing barrier cream on the 'smile line' think that's where I draw the line! :) x

Can you imagine, sorry love can you bend over that way for me please while I just cream your ass up. :eek:

lol

Last edited:
Can you imagine, sorry love can you bend over that way for me please while I just cream your ass up. :eek:

lol

Do you reckon that is why I get plenty male clients? :twisted:

( seriously though , I dont rub creams on their smiley or even frowny bits. LOL)

Latest posts

Back