tanning advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicky

Southern Geek
Reaction score
As some of you are aware that im now looking to open my own shop...:eek: but id really like to buy a tanning unit but havent got a clue where to start..? Has anyone else got one if so do they make there money or is it not worth it and just stick to spray tanning which i will offer anyway? also would i have to be trained in some way?

Sorry for all the questions but be prepared for lots more...lol

Thanks Geeks xxx

hi!

Not sure if you already have... but I would say the best way to decide is to have a really good look round the shows.
I chose st tropez Air because I thought the name would sell itself, and it has to some extent, but I think it's prob a bit expensive, and another systm would have been better in terms of application, practicality, length of time taken to apply etc.
I too, am hopefully opening a salon shortly, and def can't afford an integrated booth system - instead I'll use my St Tropez portable system, in a treatment room set-up with a curtained/tiled area that can be easily cleaned.
Ventilation is essential to draw out the vapours-they can be quite overpowering! An electrician will be able to calculate what vent is needed - make sure you tell them that it will be drawing out a particles of a coloured liquid (in my last salon the system leaked and tan solution dripped through the ceiling!!)
When I went to ExCel, I really liked the look of the Fantasy Tan portable system-can't remeber the details - but it has a reputation already from the salon, and looks easy to use.
THings to check are £cost per application?, £price/treatment? (St tropez strongly recommends all it's retailers sell the treatment for a similar price), Retail Opp's?, How long it takes for one treatment?, how quickly the tan dries?, advertisig done by the company to the end user (i.e. in mag's etc-any celeb users?), guarantee/warranty periods?
Can't think of any more at the mo!
I would also DEFINITELY try out each system before you decide! I didn't and wish I had - this way you can be more confident when selling your chosen system above others!
Training... St Tropez gave me a day 'in-salon' training, and 1 day at head quarters in nottingham.
From what I have seen Su-do offer one of the most formal training sytems - yu can complete NVQ level (i think-corretc me if i'm wrong) in airbrush tanning/make-up/hair art design/fantasy body art/and something else i think??
I've used the St Tropex Air system in salon and mobile since around April - so if you have any other Q's I'll do my best to help!

HTH... xx

Hi Vicky

By tanning unit - do you mean a sunbed? If so, then a good way to test the water is to do a profit share scheme with a sunbed company. We got ours from Helionova. They installed the sunbed (vertical sun shower type thingy) and do all maintenance on it at their expense. You agree a price per session with Helionova, then you share the takings - half each.

I am finding that the spray tan is getting more popular than the sunbed now, but you do get busy times on the sunbed when you can make a fair bit of money, and at least this way you don't have to fork out for the machine and all the running costs. The only thing that I had to do was have the electrics adjusted which didnt cost very much at all.

If it is a spray tan unit that you are thinking about then I don't really know much about these other than they are mega bucks, and my colleague also does nails in a tanning shop in another town and they have one and get loads of complaints about uneven colour etc...

:o sorry - i'm a spaz, looks like you meant sunbed? didn't read your post properly at all:o

I contacted someone on ebay who sell them 2nd hand - reconditioned, do look up for sunbed.
I'm also facing the same dilemma, they're a massive investement, but i can't help feeling they'll bring new clients through the door, who may eventually become nail clients...
i've just had my premises set-out to included space for one, but not decided which way to go yet... don't want to commit myself to paying monthly for one over the next 3yrs, ut can't really afford the one-off investement, esp if it's not going to pay for itself?
difficult one...

Saffirez said:
By tanning unit - do you mean a sunbed? If so, then a good way to test the water is to do a profit share scheme with a sunbed company. We got ours from Helionova. They installed the sunbed (vertical sun shower type thingy) and do all maintenance on it at their expense. You agree a price per session with Helionova, then you share the takings - half each.
This sounds like a great idea!
Is there any outlay at all from the salon?

Sorry for the confusion...i offer spray tanning but i would like to invest in renting or buying a stand up sun bed. :rolleyes: i confuse my self sometimes..lol

I had to pay a refundable deposit on the sunbed which I get back at the end of the agreement (was a couple of hundred pounds I think). Only other expense was my electrics which needed altering but that only cost £80 and had to be done anyway. It is a great way of trying a sunbed without a huge investment. You can always buy the sunbed from them at a later date if it is working out well for you.

Thanks for that info Saffi...thats a great way to get started without the outlay..!

Thanks

Saffirez said:
I had to pay a refundable deposit on the sunbed which I get back at the end of the agreement (was a couple of hundred pounds I think). Only other expense was my electrics which needed altering but that only cost £80 and had to be done anyway. It is a great way of trying a sunbed without a huge investment. You can always buy the sunbed from them at a later date if it is working out well for you.

Further to this thread... have just been on the HelioNova website as I'd already checked with a few other suppliers and they don't seem to do very good packages. HeiloNova's looks dead professional though and there's loads of info on the site. So for anyone that's thinking about it - check this out!!!

http://www.helionova.co.uk/ultranova.asp#top

I've emailed them to contact me with the details - I'll let you know how I get on!
Saffirez: don't suppose you remember wha the electric requirements are do yu???

Latest posts

Back