Tanning | CTPA Defends Spray Tanning As Safe

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
As predicted, Good Morning America's revelation that spray tanning could be harmful, has left a lot of frustrated people in its wake. Now, CTPA (Cosmetic, Toiletry and Perfumery Association) have spoken out in support of the industry,

CTPA say that the European Commission's independent expert scientific committee, the SCCS, has reviewed the self-tanning ingredient DHA. The SCCS looked at data to support the use of DHA in cosmetic formulations, especially that used in spray tanning booths, and confirmed that it, "will not pose a risk to the health of the consumer."

The CTPA have also highlighted the rigorous processes set in place to monitor the manufacture and import of all cosmetic products. Strict safety laws are in place and all products undergo a safety assessment before they can be brought to market.

Spray tanning manufacturers have spent the past week reassuring anxious and worried clients. Chris Johnson, MD of Aviva Labs sunless products says, "There are no new facts contained in the ABC piece. The research being referred to was done in 1999."

Reassured? Watch this space for any more updates.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• tanned legs.jpg
    tanned legs.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 717
amen to that...all be it rather obvious to even a monkey that DHA is safe to use on ...on well us monkeys lol

Right off to have me daily dose of burnt toast and a 20 min session on me sunbed :eek::lol::lol::hug:

amen to that...all be it rather obvious to even a monkey that DHA is safe to use on ...on well us monkeys lol

Right off to have me daily dose of burnt toast and a 20 min session on me sunbed :eek::lol::lol::hug:

Oh you BAD boy, sunbeds????? No self respecting spray tan Guru would admit to using one of those, would they?

Oh you BAD boy, sunbeds????? No self respecting spray tan Guru would admit to using one of those, would they?

I was only kidding...although inadvertantly I did have some burnt toast...best get off to the doc's for a wee check up hey :eek::lol:

Oh and by the way...are you stalking me :eek::lol::lol::Grope::Love:

I was only kidding...although inadvertantly I did have some burnt toast...best get off to the doc's for a wee check up hey :eek::lol:

Oh and by the way...are you stalking me :eek::lol::lol::Grope::Love:

Oops, caught out :o I am going to have to pace myself before I get a reputation

What do you expect though when loitering where you know I hang out:twisted:

PS: I thought the toast was being done on the sunbed whilst tanning, hence the burnt bit, did you make sure you were wearing a mask and safety goggles for the fumes?

Oops, caught out :o I am going to have to pace myself before I get a reputation

What do you expect though when loitering where you know I hang out:twisted:

what are you springboks like :lol::lol::lol::Grope::eek::hug:

Can we keep this on topic please, or take it to PM!

It seems the tanning folks are getting a taste of what we nail folks have been having to put up with for awhile re the supposed 'danger' when using a UV Nail lamp.

These consumer groups seem to target areas, publish absolute nonsense information, the 'press' get hold of it and publish it to the mass audience and then the experts have to come in with the real scientific information to clear up the mess.

I really object to being forced onto the defense by uninformed people who have nothing better to do than to try to trash an industry with false and sensational information that many are all to quick to believe even when staring the facts and the experts in the face (and that is if they can even be bothered to search for the truth)!! Why are people so quick to believe the negative, when the positive is staring them in the face?

It seems the tanning folks are getting a taste of what we nail folks have been having to put up with for awhile re the supposed 'danger' when using a UV Nail lamp.

These consumer groups seem to target areas, publish absolute nonsense information, the 'press' get hold of it and publish it to the mass audience and then the experts have to come in with the real scientific information to clear up the mess.

I really object to being forced onto the defense by uninformed people who have nothing better to do than to try to trash an industry with false and sensational information that many are all to quick to believe even when staring the facts and the experts in the face (and that is if they can even be bothered to search for the truth)!! Why are people so quick to believe the negative, when the positive is staring them in the face?

Amen to that :hug:

however just like the UV nail lamp nonsense this seems to more or less died a death.

Whilst people initially react they soon realize just how ridiculous some of the claims the press make

Indeed negative publicity sometimes can increase activity in certain areas....

Amen to that :hug:

however just like the UV nail lamp nonsense this seems to more or less died a death.

Whilst people initially react they soon realize just how ridiculous some of the claims the press make

Indeed negative publicity sometimes can increase activity in certain areas....

I hope so, but truthfully we still get questions from clients re, Isn't it dangerous to use that Lamp? Can I get cancer on my hands form getting my nails done? It does seem that many never follow up to see if what is reported is true or false and of course, the press never follow up with the positive facts either!!

I hope so, but truthfully we still get questions from clients re, Isn't it dangerous to use that Lamp? Can I get cancer on my hands form getting my nails done? It does seem that many never follow up to see if what is reported is true or false and of course, the press never follow up with the positive facts either!!

Unfortunatley as far as the press is concerned posative news doesnt sell as well as negative news :sad::rolleyes:

That is true enough as we all know ... sort of makes a mockery of the old idea of responsible reporting though, doesn't it!!

i don't mean to reply to a specific message but wasn't sure how do do this!
It all makes sense to me. Breathing in a chemical, i feel bad that i haven't always put barrier on peoples lips and nose blocks. I will be doing thi from now on and will want more protection for myself. My lips alwasy feel dry and tingely after a tan and my skin has changed since tanning. I have always been concerned because what can be natural about changing your skin colour that quickly, but thought it must be ok because everyones doing it. How many times have we thought that!!! I will be careful but not hugely worried. If we all do our jobs responsibly we will take all the actions possible to give our clients a healthy and effective treatment even if we over protect them. I still hope its not true though as I love tanning!!!

Latest posts

Back