Tanning: do you dry clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanning: do you dry clients?

• Yes

Votes: 154 75.1%
  • No

Votes: 51 24.9%

• Total voters

l.a.m.x

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a spray tan done recently by a friend who dried me with the hose after she was finished. This isn't something I do but am interested to hear how many of you do and don't? Also I got a new client recently who said, 'oh do you not dry me??'..I've never been taught to do this ;)

I've been under the impression if you spray fine then you don't need to, however, it did warm me up!

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Xx

Yes I always just quickly dry them off with the hose x

Hi

Ive been tanning now for over ten years and I am now also a trainer and I have always dried my client with hose and I always tech stidents to dry the client. This is also a great opportunity to check that the client evenly covered.

Leela x

Hi all,

I had a spray tan done recently by a friend who dried me with the hose after she was finished. This isn't something I do but am interested to hear how many of you do and don't? Also I got a new client recently who said, 'oh do you not dry me??'..I've never been taught to do this ;)

I've been under the impression if you spray fine then you don't need to, however, it did warm me up!

Xx

I do that's the best bit nice and warm after all that cold solution lol

Hi all,

Xx

I have only been up and running a week but I was taught that you should dry clients.

The clients I have done, when I have said that I will dry them now have gone "Ough, I get dried, I normally just get left to stand and wait" and they are really pleased so I think it may be a newish thing??

xx

I always dry with the hose afterwards just to ensure they are 100% dry before getting dressed. It also gives me a chance to inspect their tan as well as warming the client up! I've always been taught to dry and this was told in my training also :)

yes i always dry. i have a maximist and it allows you to do this. but i previoudly used a different machine in a salon and you couldnt do it with that one so when i got my maximist i was chuffed. it really stops the client feeling too tacky skinned

I began my career airbrushing so drying was never an issue. When the new style HVLP's came on the market I adjusted my airflow and nozzle so I sprayed out less, minimising overspray.
Overspraying causes most application problems. I do not need to mention pooling, patchiness and transference but I will.
If a client is soaking how long should they stand there to dry? How is this cost effective?
1- you are using too much product.
2- you are putting yourself and asthmatic clients at risk as there are more wet airborne particles in the atmosphere - most of the time without adequate ventilation.
3- you are wasting time when you could've moved onto the next client
4- you waste more time cleaning the room
5- you waste more couch roll

I think its too familiar and unprofessional. I prefer to educate clients about the correct ways than indulge them in the wrong ways. Its the same with the spray me twice clients - N.O! I know my product and I will not spray anyone twice!

I do dry my clients with the hose too there never wet but just get get rid of the tacky feeling. Also as a few others have said give me an opportunity to just check all over

I too dry the clients x

I always spray warm air on my clients as a little treat at the end of treatment, well actually its not a little treat its mainly because they are freezing cold & shivering to death :D bless um!

I don't tbh need to 'dry' anyone off as such, just a little blast on the armpits mid tan before they put arms down is usually the only body part I do 'dry' that's only really for my own peace of mind so it has less chance of smudging & leaving darker areas.

I didn't even realise I had a drying part on my gun, its only after 6 months of using it did I notice when I stood on the hose & it popped off pmsl x

Sent from my HTC Desire C using SalonGeek

My ladies like a little warm up and it aids dressing time. Also a chance for me to see if I've applied perfectly xxx

I always give my clients the hose when I'm finished and let them dry themselves means they can dry were. Feels tacky and heat themselves up

I was taught with OMG and have their equipment. We are all taught to dry the client after spraying. Its not because of using too much solution, its just that it ensures they are completely dry before dressing so that there is no smudging, they warm up, and they don't have that awful sticky feeling all day.

All my clients have commented that they have never had it done before and much prefer this method. They are telling their friends about it and love the fact that they feel perfectly good afterwards.

When I was employed in a salon I used to see everyone walking out like robots and moaning about being sticky. that always put me off having spray tans. I always had manual tans. After my training and shown that you dont have to be sticky, I now have spray tans myself too. Love it! :)

I take my gun off the hose and blow warm air over the client but it's not really to 'dry' them it is to warm them up and helps remove the just sprayed feeling so they feel ready to dress.

I have my gun set correctly so I am not suffering overspray, not using too much solution and it is definitely quicker to blow warm air at the client for a minute rather than have them stand in my tent waiting until they feel ready to dress.

I even have clients that tell me their favorite part of the tan is the warm air at the end lol.

I trained with Sienna x and we were trained to do this, more so to warm them up but also to ask if they felt wet anywhere so you could help dry them too x

I usually dry their back quickly with hose then let them have a go

I also dry clients and while I'm drying I go over aftercare verbally.
It gives you another chance to check over the tan and gives them a chance to ask anything.
Also it saves time as when your finished drying them you can tell them they can dress. Some clients seem to hang around too long in the room edited getting ready which is annoying when your back to back busy lol!

I always dry clients off/warm them up afterwards, then I leave the hose with them if they still feel like they have a few tacky areas.

I think it also depends on the solution you use. Some stay tacky for ages and some dry almost instantly. I always blow some warm air at the end, many clients love the fact that I do and feel it is a bit more special than just standing there waiting. I bought some solution a while back from Capital as I had totally run out of my preferred one, had never used it before and never will again. The stickiest mess ever.I was praying for a blooming wind tunnel to dry the poor girl. It was HORRIBLE and the tan was not great. Awful fade off. Thank goodness that seem to not stock it any longer. My usual solutions are a dream in comparison to that one. Fortunatley it was for a friend who was desperate for color on a night out so not a major disaster but a lesson well learned. If I dont have my preferred product to hand, I dont do the tan.

Latest posts

Back