Tanning pregnant women?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLovesTanning

Tanning ❤️
Reaction score
I’ve sprayed a lady in her 2nd trimester x

I’ve sprayed a few.

Is there any time in a pregnancy that a woman can't be sprayed?

It’s not advised to spray them in the first trimester. My sister in law sprays me (she’s trained in tanning too) and she’s now 20 weeks pregnant. She was advised not to have one until 12 weeks and when she was spraying me, she wore a mask x

I sprayed a girl last night who is ten weeks. But the next time I will definitely have a mask for anyone pregnant.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1513766044.790014.jpg
just had this convo with st tropez

Spray Tanning should be avoided in the first trimester of pregnancy, not because the chemicals can harm the baby - DHA isn't absorbed into the skin - but during the first trimester the skin can become more sensitive so they could suffer from an allergic reaction, even if they never have before. If it was me, I'd do a patch test on all pregnant clients, even if they've had tans with you prior to becoming pregnant.

Yeah, she was a first time client and only said she was pregnant when she arrived and she travelled from afar so I didnt want to turn her away, I haven't heard back from her so I assume everything is OK?

I dont think your covered by insurance till after the first trimester. Ive been spraying my daughter right through her pregnancy and sometimes she doesnt even change colour (damn hormones) xx

Yeah, she was a first time client and only said she was pregnant when she arrived and she travelled from afar so I didnt want to turn her away, I haven't heard back from her so I assume everything is OK?

I'm guessing you'd have heard from her by now if she'd had a reaction, so hopefully it was ok but if I were you I'd have a look at your insurance and also check what it says with the brand you used. I use Crazy Angel and it says you should patch test all new clients (pregnant or not) so even though my insurance isnt very specific about it, it does state you should follow manufacturers guidelines, so if I didn't do a patch test on a new client and they had a reaction and tried to claim, I doubt they'd pay up. I know it's a pain patch testing new clients but I think it's worth it in the long run and sets you apart from less professional therapists.

So true but the one thing I love about tanning is you can travel where ever for clients and not worry about patch testing lol

I dont think your covered by insurance till after the first trimester. Ive been spraying my daughter right through her pregnancy and sometimes she doesnt even change colour (damn hormones) xx

What?! Hormones are crazy! I did tell my client that because she is pregnant that can affect the out come of her tan making it to light. She happy to go ahead anyway. I always explain to anyone the do's don't's of spray tanning when on medication, period, pregnant and showering on the day just to protect myself so they can't say you never said that.

You should always patch test a new client and get get them to sign a waiver (consultation form) or insurance will never pay out if something goes wrong xx

So true but the one thing I love about tanning is you can travel where ever for clients and not worry about patch testing lol

Im probably being dumb here, so sorry if I've missunderstood! But you're not saying you don't patch test new clients because you're mobile are you?!

Im probably being dumb here, so sorry if I've missunderstood! But you're not saying you don't patch test new clients because you're mobile are you?!

I don't patch test clients for a spray tan. There have been brands I've used that say it's not nessesary. Do you?

You should always patch test a new client and get get them to sign a waiver (consultation form) or insurance will never pay out if something goes wrong xx

I have never in 8 years spray tanning patch tested anyone for a spray tan. Yes obviously for hair colour but not Spray tan, salons I've worked in never did and salons that I still go to don't either.

I have never in 8 years spray tanning patch tested anyone for a spray tan. Yes obviously for hair colour but not Spray tan, salons I've worked in never did and salons that I still go to don't either.
You should always patch test a new client. They could be allergic to any of the ingredients and not know about it. For example Some solutions contain nut extracts so if client has a nut allergy it could put them in hospital or worse kill them. If you dont patch test or get client to fill in and sign a consultation form your insurance wont want to know and it could cost you thousands xx

I don't patch test clients for a spray tan. There have been brands I've used that say it's not nessesary. Do you?
Yes, I patch test all new clients. I know at least 2 friends who have had reactions to spray tans (they're not my clients though!). Patch testing is inconvenient but It's just not worth the risk to your business not to do it I don't think.

Latest posts

Back