Tanning pregnant women?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should patch test every client, as others have said. I didn’t realise spray tans had nut oils in until I had a patch test and reacted to it! I’m anaphylactic to sesame and nuts :(

No tanning during first Trimester. Give after that, but Mask recommended. Also warn client that Tan might not turn out as expected as skin changes during pregnancy due to hormonal changes.

In relation to allergies, although some solutions do not contain nuts, the issue is that in the Manufacturing process it can be impossible to confirm that no contamination has occurred.

In relation to pregnancy, true the advise if no tanning in the first trimester however we are not medically trained so it is up to the practitioner after the initial 3 months whether or not to tan the client. The client should be asked to seek advise from their GP or Midwife.

Yes, the same as food cross contamination. Although putting a cross contamination label on isn’t a legal requirement. And on non food items the law for labelling is completely different to food. In food the label has to have bold lettering for any of the 14 main allergens. In non food items, this doesn’t apply. So quite often, people with allergies, like myself can miss the allergens, because it’s not required for it to be noticeable. Not very many spray tans don’t contain nuts. Which is one of the reasons why patch testing is so important.
I’ve just done a spray tan course and even the tutor said she’s been doing it since the first spray tan, and she hasn’t come across a tan with no nut/sesame oil. I know of one, I love my tan London. So you if know of anymore, could you let me know :)

Im so grateful for a the replies and everyone helping each other out. I personally in every salon I worked in never did patch test and the manager would say it's not necessary.

When ever I've gotten a spray tan any where they have never asked for a patch test to be done. I don't know why? Even in high end salons that use St.Tropez?

Im so grateful for a the replies and everyone helping each other out. I personally in every salon I worked in never did patch test and the manager would say it's not necessary.

When ever I've gotten a spray tan any where they have never asked for a patch test to be done. I don't know why? Even in high end salons that use St.Tropez?
I think in that case you could turn this into a positive way to promote your professionalism and set you above the completion and show that you take your business and your client's wellbeing seriously. Explain to them the risks of what could happen if they don't have a patch test and that should erase any doubts over the inconvenience factor and show your clients that you are well educated in spray Tanning. I have had quite a few clients tell me that my spray tans are more professional than ones they've had in luxury spas, which pleased me! From doing a patch test, to filling out a record card to providing disposables and pre and after Tan advice, it's all essential to providing the best service. Be better than the other techs and salons in your area :) x

Hi, I was 99% sure that our solutions do not contain nuts or sesame oil but asked our chemist to confirm. His reply is below and further information that may be helpful.

"The Tanning products we supply you do not contain nuts or sesame oil. Between batches of your products, the mixing vessels and filling lines are thoroughly cleaned. So as for cross contamination, I would say best of our knowledge there should be no traces of nuts and sesame seed oil in your products.

The micro b test is only for microbiological testing, an indication of whether there is any bacteria or yeasts and moulds in the product so is not designed to pick up cross contamination.

For information the Cosmetic regulations state that if any of 26 allergens are contained in a product then they must be listed on the ingredients list on the product."

It might be worth bearing in mind that the safest course of action to take is when asking this question is scientific not just opinion and conjecture. DHA has never been safety tested with regard to inhalation, just topical application. I have had a posts on this deleted in the past so I shall be less detailed in this and leave you to your own research, there's a great deal of information out there. Inhalation of DHA means it enters the blood stream through the lung walls. If the colour of your skin is more important than the health of your unborn child there's nothing more that can be said really!.

Latest posts

Back