Tanning solution strengths

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mel13

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to tanning. I'm trained and have my equipment and everything. I just wondered how you decide on which tan strengths (ie percentages) to use on a client, particularly if they haven't had one before. I'm assuming you'd play safe and go for a low one? I trained with Nouvatan but have my kit and sample tans from Suntana. Thank you x

The decision is made during the consultation with ur client. Depends on how your client tans naturally, if they have regular tans or if it’s their first and what result they are wanting.

Hi,

I am a Nouvatan trainer covering the south east. Welcome!

You should discuss the client’s desired results during the consultation. However, remember, you need to select the correct level of dha to suit the clients skin tone.

Spraying a fair skinned person in a high percentage of dha will just make them too dark and orange.

A very pale person with very blonde/ginger hair should have a 6 or 8%.

People with an average pale skin tone that tan well in the sun can have a 10%.

If they have tan really well in the sun, and have a slightly darker skin tone they can have a 12%.

Darker than that, say olive skin tones can venture into 14/16%.

I stock a 8, 10 and 12. That way I have a light, medium and dark. You can also stock booster drops in case anyone wants to go darker.

If you have someone who is brand new to spray tans, I would recommend a lighter tan for their first time. They will look naturally bronzed. If they have the skin tone to carry it off and they want to go darker next time, they can. Best to do it that way rather than spray them too dark and put them off.

I would also recommend a light tan for brides.

Did you try nouvatan products prior to going with Suntana? Xx

Hi,

I am a Nouvatan trainer covering the south east. Welcome!

You should discuss the client’s desired results during the consultation. However, remember, you need to select the correct level of dha to suit the clients skin tone.

Spraying a fair skinned person in a high percentage of dha will just make them too dark and orange.

A very pale person with very blonde/ginger hair should have a 6 or 8%.

People with an average pale skin tone that tan well in the sun can have a 10%.

If they have tan really well in the sun, and have a slightly darker skin tone they can have a 12%.

Darker than that, say olive skin tones can venture into 14/16%.

I stock a 8, 10 and 12. That way I have a light, medium and dark. You can also stock booster drops in case anyone wants to go darker.

If you have someone who is brand new to spray tans, I would recommend a lighter tan for their first time. They will look naturally bronzed. If they have the skin tone to carry it off and they want to go darker next time, they can. Best to do it that way rather than spray them too dark and put them off.

I would also recommend a light tan for brides.

Did you try nouvatan products prior to going with Suntana? Xx

This is also what I was taught, although i would say they are more guidelines than hard and fast “rules”.
I have clients with almost see-through pale skin who take a 12% like a dream. I myself have freckly, pale skin and NEVER tan and a 12% looks awesome on me.
I think if a client isn’t used to tanning though I’d always play it safe. Alternatively, use a rapid tan then the results are in the clients hands xx

Latest posts

Back