Tanning- spray or lotion?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exceptionail

Reaction score
I am thinking of introducing tanning into my treatment list and just wondered your oponions on which method you consider to be the better method:

Spray ?​
or​
Lotion ?​
Also which brand? I know St Tropez is highly rated but is it really that much better?​
And one last thing, any idea on how much i can expect to pay for the training and kit?​
Thanks for your help.​
xxx​

Personally I would go for spray over lotion as a client because I'd prefer a less hands-on approach, if you see what I mean :D
As a tech, I'd probably find either 'as easy' to do as I've got very practised over the years in hands-on false tanning with myself and my sister, but I prefer spray on for ease and speed.
Training will depend on the company, as will the kit depending on what you own already.
In terms of what brand, St Tropez is well known but I think the market is opening up a lot more to different brands, and I don't think people will neccessarily go for St Tropez just because it is a well known brand. I personally didn't go for it because my mum has had a reaction to it before, and I didn't see the point in using something that she couldn't use. I also haven't found the colour to be any more superior to other brands I have tried (Fake Bake, Savage Bronze, Solglo), but that is just my personal opinion.
Best bet is to get samples if you can so you can experience them for yourself and judge which you prefer.
HTH xx

I have been airbrushing with the St Tropez bronzing mist for 18 months and think it's brill - no streaks, lovely colour, good quality products to retail. It cost quite a bit to start up, around £1250 for airbrush and compressor, bottles of spray tan, and retail kit (which I didn't want!!) and although Beautysource offer training, I found it really easy to pick up from the manual and video they supplied.

Having said that, I'm now trying out an HVLP turbine, which sprays much much quicker, and also seems to decrease the drying time. Far noiser, quite cold, and seems to use more product. But having read lots of other associated threads, I might try some other tans which are far cheaper.

Good Luck !!

I would def go for spray as it's less messy and a lot quicker. I can a spray tan in 15 mins, rub in takes approx 1 hour.So you can do up to 4 spray's in an hour.I use St Tropez a)coz it's good.
b)everyone's heard if it.
The training came free when we brought the kit.We purchased the compresser, gun,paper knickers,solution and a retail pack and it came to around £1,000 although this was about 2 years ago. Also if you airbrush nails this will make spray tanning a doddle The best thing to do is to go to the show at the end of Feb as there is always loads of tanning companies there.

Latest posts

Back