Tans and barrier cream

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenBella

Reaction score
Hi fellow tanners!

Just wanted to pick your brains...I am doing tans a good few months now and generally have no issues at all. I recently had someone whos palms went dark but obviously I didn't spray the palms so I put it down to her touching her skin while asleep or something (I havent had any complaints before)
What do you do to prevent this? Is there any advice you can give to clients asides from wearing long sleeves and bottoms whilst developing.

When I trained we didnt use barrier cream but from researching on here it seems a good few of you do use it so can you tell me what way you do it? I saw the applying to palms, heels etc but is it just a tiny amount and do you rub it in or do you get the client to?

I am really working on improving my technique as much as possible and still fine tuning it as best I can. The technique we were shown wasnt really working that well for me so I have adjusted it but any advice would be fab

Thanks a million

Hi fellow tanners!

Just wanted to pick your brains...I am doing tans a good few months now and generally have no issues at all. I recently had someone whos palms went dark but obviously I didn't spray the palms so I put it down to her touching her skin while asleep or something (I havent had any complaints before)
What do you do to prevent this? Is there any advice you can give to clients asides from wearing long sleeves and bottoms whilst developing.

When I trained we didnt use barrier cream but from researching on here it seems a good few of you do use it so can you tell me what way you do it? I saw the applying to palms, heels etc but is it just a tiny amount and do you rub it in or do you get the client to?

I am really working on improving my technique as much as possible and still fine tuning it as best I can. The technique we were shown wasnt really working that well for me so I have adjusted it but any advice would be fab

Thanks a million

wipe palms after tan, tell them (more than once) not to touch tanned body parts whilst it is in development, if need be tell clients to sleep with loose fitted socks on hands, I tell my clients to do this.

write on your aftercare leaflet about the palms. this way if you tell them & they read it too its more likely going to be taken note of.

I use sunless solutions oil free moisturiser as my barrier cream, I rub it all over hands/palms/wrists & knees, elbows, ankles, feet/heels.

I put it on my client, reason being they may not rub it in properly or may use too much on one area, so if I do it I know it's done properly.

You only need a little bit of barrier cream, I'd say use the size of a 5 pence piece for hands, split that 5 pence piece worth between the 2 hands & rub in really well all over hands/palms & onto the inner wrist area, I use the same size amount for the feet again splitting the 5 pence piece worth between both feet & rub up onto ankles/heels.

just a dab on the tip of your finger for knees & elbows.

works for me :) x

wipe palms after tan, tell them (more than once) not to touch tanned body parts whilst it is in development, if need be tell clients to sleep with loose fitted socks on hands, I tell my clients to do this.

write on your aftercare leaflet about the palms. this way if you tell them & they read it too its more likely going to be taken note of.

I use sunless solutions oil free moisturiser as my barrier cream, I rub it all over hands/palms/wrists & knees, elbows, ankles, feet/heels.

I put it on my client, reason being they may not rub it in properly or may use too much on one area, so if I do it I know it's done properly.

You only need a little bit of barrier cream, I'd say use the size of a 5 pence piece for hands, split that 5 pence piece worth between the 2 hands & rub in really well all over hands/palms & onto the inner wrist area, I use the same size amount for the feet again splitting the 5 pence piece worth between both feet & rub up onto ankles/heels.

just a dab on the tip of your finger for knees & elbows.

works for me :) x

Snap on the socks! They always look at me like a mad woman when I tell them. LOL but it really helps. I also suggest that after the tan they put a damp flannel between their palms, hands in the prayer position and then gently rub back and forth. Carefully, dont want to get the hands wet. Then after wiped of nicely put some nice hand lotion on the palms or more barrier cream and keep hands away from body.

I also suggest taking drinks with a straw to minimist the "milk moustache"

Aw thanks so much, great tips!
I did lol at the milk moustache!

I'm going to try barrier cream on a guinea pig and see how it goes..to be honest my training was a bit of a disappointment and because I work on my own I have nobody to bounce ideas off or get help with areas I might need it.
I had always thought absolutely no cream on body prior to tan as this will prevent it taking...then there's folk who say only put it on palms and heels but I'm going to do as suggested and try it over the hands up to wrist and on the other bits noted.
I recently changed solution and it's a lot finer in terms of consistency than what I used before...I was getting overspray so totally adjusted my gun down and done the kitchen towel test...that helped but there was definitely areas around hands and feet that were too dark and have gone patchy at fade off.
I'm back to my old solution til I get it sorted...I never had any issue at all with my old one, so perhaps I should stick to that!

Latest posts

Back