Task list for when spa/salon is quiet

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen889

Reaction score
HI Everyone,

I had a simple question, what kind of task list to you have for employees to do when the salon/spa is quiet?

I have one employee, i'm a small spa, and although she does a great job she just sits around when the spa is quiet. I feel like she would be more productive with a task list in reception of things for her to do. Also what do you guys do with cell phones? I always have mine out but i'm never on it, it's out so i can see if someone calls (emergencies). I find lately she's accepting calls at work from her boyfriend, last week the phone call lasted 15min! I did tell her it wasn't acceptable but i would like some sort of formal rule that even i would follow.

So far i have:

Update inventory
Dust reception area, nail section and treatments room (if vacant)
Clean wax machine and trolley

That's it, i can't think of anything else, we don't have in house laundry so can't add that.

Thanks! :)

Sweep & mop floors, clean retail, update client record cards, restock refreshments,social media work, cleaning skirting boards/windows/bins/trolleys/toilet/wash area.
Sort through old magazines, clean reception area, flyering. There's loads that can be done!

Thanks!! I was having a huge block this afternoon :/ we sweep and mop at end of day but I will be adding all those suggestions to my list :)

How about contacting clients to see if you can fill the quite spaces?

Also, re: cell phones, tell her to get rid of it. If there is an emergency people know where she works so could contact her on the work phone.

I had/have this same problem- phone problem needs to be nipped in the bud (I got into so much trouble because I wasn't comfortable asking her not to!).
These days, I bought another computer for her to work on- quiet times I get her to write out protocols/procedures for all treatments so that I can review and there's consistency if and when she leaves (is pregnant) for the next person to take over. We do vidoes to post on youtube- huge learning curve- of her doing treatments on me/someone else. Read up on latest industry news etc. She's not very computer savvy so its actually taking me time to train her.

I'm quite laid back about the phone thing. We are very isolated and often have power cuts (fun!!!). I actually encourage staff to keep mobiles with them at all times, on silent. Then if there is a power cut, we have immediate light. We also have candles and torches, but we never look after these like we do our mobiles!

We also don't have set lunch breaks, so if a member of staff is looking at their phone, or wants to take a call, I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't last forever.

Mind you, mobile reception is so poor a call usually only lasts about 30 seconds!

Vic x

I'm quite laid back about the phone thing. We are very isolated and often have power cuts (fun!!!). I actually encourage staff to keep mobiles with them at all times, on silent. Then if there is a power cut, we have immediate light. We also have candles and torches, but we never look after these like we do our mobiles!

We also don't have set lunch breaks, so if a member of staff is looking at their phone, or wants to take a call, I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't last forever.

Mind you, mobile reception is so poor a call usually only lasts about 30 seconds!

Vic x

I'm very laid back as well but it started with 2 min here, 5min there for phone calls. Now she's up to 15min. I'm writing up a list now for tasks, I will just mention the phone and no phone calls. I dont mind her having her phone on her at all, it's just the long calls now are annoying :/

Could you have your mobile calls redirected to the salon phone when your working? Then you could set the example of not taking personal calls on your mobile at work?

You could ask her to keep her mobile in her bag while she's working and that she can take emergency calls via the salon phone? Maybe just have a chat with her about looking professional at work by ensuring that she keeps busy during quiet periods and the more she can get done during those times means there is less to do at the end of the day 😊

I would probably try and encourage her to use her initiative rather than a list at first while having a chat could mention the things she could be doing when it's quiet, let her know that's what you expect and see if she takes it on board, then if nothing changes give her a written list of what is expected of her 😊 x

Could you have your mobile calls redirected to the salon phone when your working? Then you could set the example of not taking personal calls on your mobile at work?

You could ask her to keep her mobile in her bag while she's working and that she can take emergency calls via the salon phone? Maybe just have a chat with her about looking professional at work by ensuring that she keeps busy during quiet periods and the more she can get done during those times means there is less to do at the end of the day 😊

I would probably try and encourage her to use her initiative rather than a list at first while having a chat could mention the things she could be doing when it's quiet, let her know that's what you expect and see if she takes it on board, then if nothing changes give her a written list of what is expected of her 😊 x

I think your definitely right, although I've never answered my cell at work I do keep it on the counter just in case I get emergency calls. I will just put my own cell away and talk to her. I find it hard but I have to do it :p

I created a list but I will talk to her before hand and let her know there's things she can do and then pull the list out as ideas.

Thanks everyone!!

I agree that all of these tasks need dealing with, like the cleaning.

As well as this, it could be an idea for when you're quiet is to perhaps do eachother's nails or toes as a bit of advertising. You could also get her to come up with some nail art ideas for display or your facebook page. Bring her creative side out. Change up the window display. Think of some ideas for your retail area.

We do each others nails after work each Saturday. I'm usually fully booked either way, she's just started so her column isn't as booked so this is why she has space during the day.

You've given me an idea! She's just come out of school so she's slower, I could always have her run through protocol and maybe have her get some friends and family in to practice on.

I think thats a great idea -keep her passion for whats got her into the industry in the first place to keep her motivated and busy, as well as the jobs we all have to do! If she's just out of school she probably just needs a reminder of whats apropriate and thinks you dont mind because the other calls were fine by you x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is what I was thinking but I'm not too sure as she has a part time job at a huge day spa in town and they have a no cell phone rule so she would have to know it's not acceptable here? I'll speak with her today and see :)

Latest posts

Back