Tattoos

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do what makes you happy !
At the end of the day people who are going to judge you will find something else to main about your hair colour or your eyeshadow or your weight !!!

I have a tattoo and am after a new one on my foot. I feel like awfully done tattoos offend my eyes no matter what the job/setting but I would never feel that was a representation of that person or there work.
I think a person should be able to artistically express there selves be it clothes, make up, tattoos etc. Most things can be covered, hidden or toned down when needed. I had to lose all my piercings and bright red fringe because of retail years ago otherwise I was told I wouldn't be given the job. Now I'm ill and can't work I wish I still had them.

I work in a health club we have 13 therapists 3 have tattoos on there hands all are of either there kids names or flowers of some sort, I have a tattoo of a poppy with my great grandads intails in it none of us have been told about covering them up at all. We did however have a girl apply for a job with us and it was the whole of the inside of her forearm the tattoo read 'I refuse to sink' with an achor next to it I was in the interview the girl was lovely her trade test went really well then when it came down to choosing the person she stood out to me however, she stood out to my manager aswel for me it showed she's a strong person and determined. My manager saw it as a tattoo that can't be covered with our uniforms so she didn't get the job which in my eyes is unfair. We have a gym team of 6 3 of them have tattoos one is a woman with patterns and skulls she has to wear a skin colour bandage over her arms ad her tops short sleeved, we have a guy who has tribal up the top of his arm he's allowed to have I out then we have another guy who has trees coming frim his wrist up but had recently got Chinese women tattooed with it.... His are more visible and much more darker than the woman's along with the fact hers are just patterns his are of people she has to hide hers but he doesn't ...confuses me but yeah it seems as my work it's different rules for everyone :s they won't hire people with facial peircings either unless it's just a nose stud :s

At my college interview today I was told I would have to take the hoop out of my tragus.I can have a stud, but not a hoop. I don't mind too much. I don't have any tattoos and I'm not too sure where I stand on them tbh. I guess if they were really beautifully done I wouldn't mind, but if they were tacky, as harsh as it sounds, I probably wouldn't book a treatment with that therapist, but for me I tend to go to a therapist who emulates the look that I have/want. I'm not entirely sure why. I guess if clientele are happy then that's all that matters at the end of the day.

I think its appalling that people without tattoos judge those with tattoos. People without tattoos think those with tattoos are bad, disgusting, unattractive blah blah blah. Little do they realise that their judgement is bad, disgusting and unattractive. It just hoes to show that even in 2016 there are judgemental bastards. Shame

And your judging those that do not have tattoos

I have no tattoos and don't even have my ears pierced (first class wimp). Best ever massage was from a girl who had multiple piercings and tattoos. Doesn't bother me at all.

Now smelling a therapists lunch (garlic) or smelling smoke on a therapist is a bigger no to me!

I agree with Redduck. I wouldn't think twice about tattoos and I don't have any, but I would be bothered if personal hygiene was an issue x

I have tattoos all can be covered but I personally don't judge anyone on tattoos , piercings or how they look , personal hygiene is a different story or if someone looks untidy ( I mean really untidy ) that's a different story [emoji53]

The only time I would judge someone's tattoo is when/if I'm shopping around for an artist to carry out some work.

I have 4 myself 3 are all covered and 1 is on my wrist and easily covetable by a top or watch they all mean something to me, I regret one of them more because of the size of it and placement but I still wouldn't change any of them.

I think now we live in a age where more people have tattoos than not and a lot of people are still judgemental! Having tattoos does not stop a person doing a job if the passion is there and they are good at it! X

I have no tattoos and don't even have my ears pierced (first class wimp). Best ever massage was from a girl who had multiple piercings and tattoos. Doesn't bother me at all.

Now smelling a therapists lunch (garlic) or smelling smoke on a therapist is a bigger no to me!

I agree, as a rule of thumb i always stick to plain foods for lunch, and a mint. I worked with a girl who smoked and it wasn't very nice, i advised her to change out of her tunic when she stepped out for a ciggy, as she had a complaint made against her regarding the smell.

Hi
Lots of mixed views. what concerns me is are managers setting themselves up for legal disbuties, on discrimination grounds. if they say no to employing therapists based on a tattoo, or writing a no tattoo clause into a contract.
we all know how careful we have to be when it comes to discrimination in regards to employment.

I have worked with tattooed and non-tattooed therapist, when i worked in spas, some good and some quite bad but not because of the tattoo just genuinley because they were rubbish at their job.
It just seems so unfair to judge and turn someone down because of a tattoo or lip ring.

GT x

Emirates the airline company have a no tattoo policy my friend had to have hers cut out!!

Emirates the airline company have a no tattoo policy my friend had to have hers cut out!!
That's horrendous!! Surely that would scar and look worse?

That's horrendous!! Surely that would scar and look worse?
Yep she tried laser and it didn't work so had to have it cut out! Tiniest thing on her wrist aswell that can be covered by a watch or something

Hi
Lots of mixed views. what concerns me is are managers setting themselves up for legal disbuties, on discrimination grounds. if they say no to employing therapists based on a tattoo, or writing a no tattoo clause into a contract.
we all know how careful we have to be when it comes to discrimination in regards to employment.

I have worked with tattooed and non-tattooed therapist, when i worked in spas, some good and some quite bad but not because of the tattoo just genuinley because they were rubbish at their job.
It just seems so unfair to judge and turn someone down because of a tattoo or lip ring.

GT x

Technically not as it would fall under dress code and as employers can be very strict with dress code ie hair has to be of natural colour, only stud earrings, flat shoes etc they are perfectly within their right to say tattoos must be covered.

Employers can also claim branding image and if tattoos do not fall into the image they want to portray then they are in the right to not hire someone with tattoos.

I think you're within your rights to not employee someone because of something they can change or have chosen to have done.

It's different saying I won't employ you because of your tattoos than I won't employ you because of the colour of your skin x

On one hand this thread has had me laughing with it's ridiculousness, but it also saddens me greatly. This is an issue with the industry. Beauty therapists and nail technicians are expected to fit into an out dated stereotype. Body modification takes many forms, from tattoos to more socially acceptable forms such as dying our hair, tinting and shaping our brows, and piercing our ears. I would never discriminate against some one or refuse to employ some one,because I didn't like their hair style, or because I didn't like their HD brows (which I personally think look ridiculous). I judge some one on the criteria of the job and if they have the skills I need. Nor do I feel the need to be so cruel as to tell people I don't like the choices they have made about their appearance. Yet those who are tattooed are on the receiving end of this unacceptable behaviour. What's next, "sorry you can't have a job here because you are too fat, you did it to yourself and it looks like you don't take care of yourself". What age are we living in. Your doctor probably has tattoos. It's no longer just criminals and pirates [emoji23] However you try to dress it up, it is discrimination and it is unacceptable in this day and age. I actually think that the ignorant minority are exactly that, a minority. I owned my own salon for ten years and only had a handful of negative comments regarding my two sleeves. In fact many of my older clients loved them. But I'm also sure that many of them didn't and they did the adult thing and didn't make a big deal about my personal choices and just enjoyed the good service they received from me. I think it's time for a change and it should be the people who want to discriminate that get pushed out of the industry, not the hard working, highly skilled people who don't fit into an outdated and superficial box.

Completely agree with all the posts saying you shouldn't make judgments and that it is discrimination not to employ someone because of their tattoos

BUT

The thing here is not how the employer perceives it personally but how the employer thinks potential clients will perceive it and if they have reason to believe that they may lose business or that some potential clients may not warm to a certain look and take their custom elsewhere it is not good business sense to take them on, however politically incorrect that is.

I'm sure in time tattoos will be completely accepted as with other body modifications but I don't think that time is yet.

Latest posts

Back