Tattoos

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glam tree

Reaction score
Hi.
I was having a chat with a beauty therapist friend about tattoos. and if having them on show looks unprofessional. especially on your hands.

I like tattoos in fact i'm planning my second one and LOVE the water colour ones.

What about you guys, do any of you have them on your hands or on show. or do you think they should be hidden.

GT x

I want to get one on my hand.. I think in our profession it's about being creative and tattoos are very much a part of that and if done well and providing they're not of anything offensive and you are professional then it should make no difference

I have tattoos on my wrists and arms and don't hide them, clients often say how nice they are when doing there nails, I don't think they should be hidden x

I have a tattoo on my hand and clients don't mention it. It and piercings was commented on while I was at college. I was advised if I didn't remove them I could be asked to leave the course and they and my tattoo meant I was classed as unemployable in the beauty industry! I didn't remove them.
A young girl on our course had full sleeves, piercings and dermal implants and she eventually left the course after removing all hers.

I also have piercings and dermals but I'm a body piercer as well as a nail tech, I'm at college doing advanced nails when doing assessments we have to cover our tattoos or it's a fail but at work it's not a problem x

I have a tattoo on my hand and clients don't mention it. It and piercings was commented on while I was at college. I was advised if I didn't remove them I could be asked to leave the course and they and my tattoo meant I was classed as unemployable in the beauty industry! I didn't remove them.
A young girl on our course had full sleeves, piercings and dermal implants and she eventually left the course after removing all hers.
Was you asked to remove them for health and safety......as in they could have got caught on something?

I also have piercings and dermals but I'm a body piercer as well as a nail tech, I'm at college doing advanced nails when doing assessments we have to cover our tattoos or it's a fail but at work it's not a problem x
That's ridiculous... Unless it's of something rude/ offensive I can't see how it could affect your profession!

Was you asked to remove them for health and safety......as in they could have got caught on something?
No we weren't permitted to wear any jewellery at any time.

Although i dont have tattoos (i do have peircings like most ladies) i dont have issues with them as long as they are covered. For me personally anything below a three quater length sleeve or trouser and above the collar bone and chest plates is a big no no when it comes to recruiting staff. In beauty and aesthetics clients come to us to improve skin and features. May be different within hairdressing but thats my rule for beauty.

Also i would only allow nose studs for facial peircings as this can be cultural but no other facial peircings are so again nope not allowed.

And as a rule of thumb, the fact you asked suggests you know you shouldnt be getting tattoos on that part of the anatomy.

Nope nothing rude glam tree it's an r.i.p to my gran on one arm and one for my grandad on the other, got them when I was younger don't regret them as they mean so much to me but the college doesn't see it that way x

I was talking tattoos with a client and he said if I were to get a visible tattoo he wouldn't be back!

I jokingly said I'll have to cancel my neck tattoo. He didn't find it funny...

It depends on your clients.

I was talking tattoos with a client and he said if I were to get a visible tattoo he wouldn't be back!

I jokingly said I'll have to cancel my neck tattoo. He didn't find it funny...

It depends on your clients.

Did you ask him why?

Really annoying[emoji35] like soon as you get a tattoo you've got no talent.

But you don't need clients like that in your life.

And as a rule of thumb, the fact you asked suggests you know you shouldnt be getting tattoos on that part of the anatomy.[/QUOTE]

Hi
I asked to start a conversation. I run my own salon. And as an adult I think I can make my own decisions on were on my body I can have an artistic design, so wasn't asking if I should.

I personally don't think anyone has the right to decide what is right or wrong when it comes to someone else's body art.
And really don't understand how it can make a therapist unemployable.
Surely their knowledge, manner and ability to perform their treatments should be the main priority.?

But its the fact you asked. There has been many a debate on here in regards to tattoos and whether they should be allowed or not.

Were probably the first generation that is very casual about tattoos and peircings compared to previous generations and like to think of ourselves as 'artistic, individual, rebelious' or whatever you want to call it. However other generations and cultures deem them to be highly offensive and when you work with the public you have to take these things into consideration.

Yes you may want a little etching on your hand and may mean something very personal to you but others may take it a completely different way. I think it goes with the whole thing of never talking about money, religion or politics. By not having tattoos on display you are showing that you are neutral in your views on highly debatable topics such as this one.

And due to this i think it does make it much harder for someone who is noticably tattooed to be employed within the beauty industry. As i have already stated clients come to us to improve their image and refine skin etc so being visablly tattooed may not fit with clients ideologies and to an extent a therapist could be seen as a hypocrite.

Did you know that legally anything can go onto tour tattoo ink apart from poisons such as lead and body fluids? Taking this into consideration and a comment made by client to a therapist on another tread going something along the lines of if you have a tattoo then you dont take pride in yourself, and if you dont take pride in yourself then how can you take pride in your work? ( im not saying i agree with such comment but i get where client was coming from) then it can also be argued that you may not have clients best interests/results at heart as your putting not exactly sure what into your body and therefore you cant really argue about health benefits to clients for having x treatment or using y product.

Its about projecting standards and image ultimately. Like i say im not against them but they have to be covered under three quater length tunics and trousers and nothing on the chest or above the collar bone. That as an empolyer is a fair request, most spas globally wont employ you if you have a tattoo anywhere.

And i would like to point out that still in most professions in the uk if you were to have a visable tatto then you are highly unemployable full stop.

I have two visible tattoos, a tribute to my beautiful grandmother and a little moustache on my finger that I had done for charity to raise money for men's health. I like to think I'm a professional therapist and clients ask me what the represent I tell them and they think it's lovely.

A tattoo on your wrist does not determine whether or not you are good at your job. Being in one of the most creative professions in the 21st century I don't see why it's a problem as long as the tattoo isn't offensive to anyone! X X

I'm going to sound like the biggest hypocritical bias person on the planet here so please no offence is meant to anyone.

I have tattoos, 3 of them one very prominent on my back, but all 3 are covered - unless I wear something to reveal them....however...

...if I was to walk I to a hair salon and my hairdresser is visibly coveted in them with pearcings everywhere, I'd sit in the chair quite happily and let her/him do their job and have a lovely time.
But
If I walked into a spa for a relaxing day of pampering and I was greated with the same, I'd walk out and not go back. ..
...why? Stigma I guess. Hairdressers are renowned to be a little crazy, extrovert, loud n leary off the cuff type of people and I wouldn't bat an eyelid at their personal dress of creativity

Beauty therapists on the other hand are more clinical, relaxing, calming, soft fluffy atmospheric types who I'd expect to look that way to suit their environment, not covered in pearcings and ink

I hope I haven't offended lol

I'm going to sound like the biggest hypocritical bias person on the planet here so please no offence is meant to anyone.

I have tattoos, 3 of them one very prominent on my back, but all 3 are covered - unless I wear something to reveal them....however...

...if I was to walk I to a hair salon and my hairdresser is visibly coveted in them with pearcings everywhere, I'd sit in the chair quite happily and let her/him do their job and have a lovely time.
But
If I walked into a spa for a relaxing day of pampering and I was greated with the same, I'd walk out and not go back. ..
...why? Stigma I guess. Hairdressers are renowned to be a little crazy, extrovert, loud n leary off the cuff type of people and I wouldn't bat an eyelid at their personal dress of creativity

Beauty therapists on the other hand are more clinical, relaxing, calming, soft fluffy atmospheric types who I'd expect to look that way to suit their environment, not covered in pearcings and ink

I hope I haven't offended lol
I actually see your point. Not sure I'd avoid going but I get exactly what you mean, I'd probably be shocked they had been employed in a relaxing spa rather than actually avoid going, I'd respect the spa for accepting individuals and their quirkiness!! :)

However, if I turned up to a salon and they had tattoos like this I would swiftly be leaving, regardless of their work....

Attachments

• 1454845915272.jpg
    1454845915272.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 207
On the other hand I wouldn't be put off by these hand tattoos, they have been done reasonably well in comparison to the others and I see them as a quirkiness of character not just a botched up back street job!! :D

Attachments

• 1454845944578.jpg
    1454845944578.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 169
I have 8 tattoos most can't be seen whilst wearing clothes but I have a small one on each wrist and a star design on my foot and one on back of my neck that cAn be seen. I'm self employed and have never had any issues with clients and loads of my clients are older. I guess it depends where you are from too as most people where I am have tattoos xx

So many judgemental comments. People need to grow up, seriously! Times have changed!!! I wouldnt want to work on someone so judgemental about something as common as tattoos. A persons work cannot be judged over the fact that they have tattoos. Prudes need to grow up!

Latest posts

Back