Tattoos

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcorn1

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wanting to hear peoples experiences of tattoos.

I'm getting my first next month and I know its gonna hurt:irked: but I'd appreciate real opinions on the pain not just the tattoo artist saying it doesn't hurt at all!!!

Also has anyone had one done with numbing cream and if so does it work? Again heard different things about this.

Cheers peeps. XxX

wow

good for you i am way to much of a scaredycat to get a tattoo, it was painful enough getting my bellyring done

i have many friends who all give different accounts on how painful a tattoo is, some say its not painful at all whilst others were sobbing their hearts out

but then everyone has a different pain threshold

I have six,t depends on your pain threshold my other half has three and he hates the feeling of it he is having another though it's quite addictive IMO

I think a lot of it depends on where you have the tattoo. I had one on the base of my spine......OUCH!! :cry: I nearly stopped him half way through!!!!

But then I had one on my foot and that was just a little ouch. :eek:

It's not really a pain as such, more of a burning, stinging type feeling.

I had my bellyring pierced and found that ok, but my nose....well that was a different story!!
As has been said already, different pain thresholds for different people.....
The things we do for "fashion", we must be MAD:lol:

they are addictive....you get one.....then all of a sudden you have 6 pmsl they hurt...ish but not enough to stop me from having more.
when the tattooist first starts you think...ooh not too bad then it starts to hurt a bit, then it goes numb after a while.....
i have had 6 piercings in the past as well as tattoo's and my nose being pierced was worse then any other piercing and tattoo.

Definitely a personal thing hun! My friend is a tattooist and he does mine, I actually LOVE the feeling (odd I know, bit I just get in the zone, man :green:)

But he's told me tales of big burly men walking out after 10 mins! So it's really impossible to say. The only thing I'd add, is make sure you LOVE the design you are getting, I hated my first 2 that I got when I was younger, daft cartoon things, and have since had them covered!

I had a tattoo (a very small apple on my arm - smallest the shop had!) and it hurt like buggerychuff... it put me off having any more. I went on to have 3 children and that was a breeze in comparison... lol!!! well maybe not hehehe...!

:green:

Oh God Guys I wish I hadn't asked:Scared:

The tattoo I have chosen goes from my bum all the way up my spine so from what has been said I'm guessing its gonna hurt like hell!!!

I have opted for the numbing cream but apparently it doesn't work on everyone.

I hope I don't jib out!

Its probably a lidocaine cream and i think it depends how long its been left to work on the skin before you have the treatment as to how effective it is,longer the better.Also the percentage of lidocaine actually in it.I think the very effective creams have to be prescribed by a doctor.

Think its due to be left on for about 30 mins to an hour.

I'm just praying its got a high content of lidocaine then!!!

Cheers Gill for that info. x

Take 2 Ibprofen Tabs an hour before and if your session lasts more than 4 hours takes some more - they will help with dulling the pain responses.. My Fiancee is 1/4 tattoo if asked about the pain he states he enjoys it - he will admit to the top edge of his shoulder being the most painfull (that bone that sticks out of the top) and coming in second would be the rib cage - but he totally enjoyed the rest of the pain.

I have 7 tats all varying in size, quickest took half an hour and the longest took 3 hours.
I can't say i love the pain but anything for art. The one on the back of my neck hurt the most but it was very much worth it.
I also have thirteen piercings, I do keep meaning to get another one done to make it an even number but I can't quite bring myself to have the one my hubby wants me to have.

Hope it goes well.

Take 2 Ibprofen Tabs an hour before and if your session lasts more than 4 hours takes some more - they will help with dulling the pain responses..

Please do not take IBUPROFEN TABLETS OR ASPRIN BEFORE HAVING A TATTOO
These will make you bleed more than you should therefore pushing the ink out and stopping the healing proccess you can take Paracetamol though .
Also I don't think many people would be having a 4 hour Tattoo unless they are having a quite large tattoo.
Amotop Numbing cream is used well its not really numbing it just takes the edge off the pain .

ruby x

my brother does tattoos

ive got 3 i think the numbing cream works depending on where the tattoo is!

if your thinking your foot forget it it doesnt numb there or it didnt me!
i have two on my lower back and 1 on the neck.

the lower back hurt more by far.

it is a pain that you can put up with tho and does get easier to deal with throughout the tattoo.

hope urs turns out good. x

I have 9 in total various different places on my body, the only one you can see is a flower on my upper arm, I hate it now and wish I could afford to have it removed!
All the others I love. I would describe the feeling more like an irritation than a pain, it felt like someone was itching my skin over and over in the same place. I have one at the base of my spine and that was bearable!

Nothing like child birth, as I said more of an irratation for me. I thought it was a feeling you can overcome and maybe block out!

Where are you having it done on your body and what are you having done?

And this isnt a lecture just a bit of advice from somebody who knows, have it somewhere you are totally 100% happy with, I felt a bit forced into my tattoo, all my mates were having one so I decided to go ahead aswell. I am totally gutted 12 years on that I had it, although its not ugly I see it all the time and think 'why' did I have it there!!??

Good luck anyway, it'll be fine! xx:hug:

I have 7 tats all varying in size, quickest took half an hour and the longest took 3 hours.
I can't say i love the pain but anything for art. The one on the back of my neck hurt the most but it was very much worth it.
I also have thirteen piercings, I do keep meaning to get another one done to make it an even number but I can't quite bring myself to have the one my hubby wants me to have.

Hope it goes well.

missed your post!

thats the one that didnt hurt me as much on the back of my neck...just shows how different people are dont it!

Everybodys pain threshold is different and everybody will tell a different story about how painfull a tattoo is .The outline is the worst and then you seem to get used to the filling in

Ruby

Take 2 Ibprofen Tabs an hour before and if your session lasts more than 4 hours takes some more - they will help with dulling the pain responses..

Please do not take IBUPROFEN TABLETS OR ASPRIN BEFORE HAVING A TATTOO

Amotop Numbing cream is used well its not really numbing it just takes the edge off the pain .

ruby x
Oh Thank you for saying this..I about crapped when I read about taking IB's and asprin. Blood thinners guys.

I have a tatoo on my lower back it says "Made In the USA" :D yeah it stung. And only really hurt to the point of me taking a small gasp when he had to go over it again to make sure the ink was in there. I didn't have any numbing cream. What I think hurt worse is the next day..It was tender to move around and to touch.

My young son had a large one done on his side from armpit to hip bone..That one hurt when they were working over the rib area. I had never seen him get so red in the face before.

But again, it is all up to your own pain tolerance level. I myself can take quite a bit of pain before I break.
My young son..well he is a real buttercup and doesn't do well with pain.
Another thing.. Do Not Drink Alcohol before getting a tattoo either.

I think that Women have a better pain barrier than men
I don't know of any women who have fainted during a tattoo but I know of a couple of men who have.

ruby

Latest posts

Back