Tax question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boop

Reaction score
Hi all,

Until i get a day off from work and i can phone up IR to ask, can anyone help me with this? I was just thinking (due to the recent threads about this), each persosn has a tax free amount of earnings allowed each year ( i think its roughly £6,000) so for instance if one was earning less than this and didnt need to pay any tax at the end of the financial year, would you still be able to claim back tax on things like stock, uniform etc..? This may be an obvious answer - so sorry if im been daft!

Do you mean the 'drawings' on the business?

I think so, sorry if i sound an idiot, im not fully clued up on this yet as im moving away in the summer and starting up then. ( i will also be doing a couse through business link before i start)

I think so, sorry if i sound an idiot, im not fully clued up on this yet as im moving away in the summer and starting up then. ( i will also be doing a couse through business link before i start)

I was chatting about this the other day to our accountant regarding childcare fees... and yes, you can take drawings out of the business legitimately without paying tax on them... I AM SURE - he came in the morning when I was getting all the babies ready and it was hard to catch what he was saying exactly!!

We have been doing this for 12 months now to pay our childcare.

And yes, you can give them all business receipts and still receive your Tax rebate! Is it your first year in business?

yes it will be, il be starting towards the end of this year once we are moved and settled. just trying to gather as much info and ideas as poss for now, so thankyou for your help! xx

this used to get me....when i started out all i heard from people was ..ohh you can claim for this and you can claim for that....i thought it meant that you can claim some money back for those things....as far as i know you cant get money from the tax people unless you have paid too much tax in the first place.

Hi bagpuss, i think i am getting the wrong end of the stick then.... What i thought was that all stock, uniform etc you buy, you keep reciepts/invoices then when doing your tax return you can claim back the tax amount that you have paid when purchasing these.
i understand that for all earnings over the £6000(roughly), you pay tax on at the end of the year, i spoke to the accountant at work the other day and i think im even more confused now!!

i am no expert at all...but as far as i am concerned all the things you put through like stock, uniforms...etc just comes off the amount you have taken...so therefore bringing your profit down and so paying less tax.

Oh right i see what you mean, am definately going to do one of those free business courses!! Thankyou for your help xx

Okay when you are a sole trader you do not get paid a PAYE salary, so any money you take from the business are called "drawings" (I guess it comes from the word withdraw). It's all a little confusing and really it's only technical talk to say that money you take out of the business in this way hasn't had a net profit calculated and so tax has not been deducted from it yet (so Caroline a drawing is not a tax free little perk I'm afraid).

Any employed or self employed person has an annual personal allowance of £5035 for 06/07. Therefore any salary or net profit under this amount is not taxed - you take all of it home and the tax man gets nothing. Once you hit this limit in a single tax year then you have to start paying tax - gawd knows what the rate is now as that idiot Brown keeps mucking about with it, but for arguments sake we'll say it is 25p in the pound.

So, if your annual net profit before tax (or even PAYE) was £10,000, you would deduct your personal allowance of £5035 from this which is £4965. You would pay no tax on that £5035 BUT you would then pay 25p of every pound of that £4965 to Mr Brown!!! 4965 x .25 = £1241.25 is the amount of tax you would pay, leaving you with a net profit AFTER tax of £8758.75. (that's £10,000 minus £1241.25)

I hope you understood all that. Now how do we get to your actual profit before tax?

When you are self employed you have to keep a note of all your incomings and outgoings. Income is obviously any money you take from your clients. Outgoings is really anything you use solely for your business, such as stock, stationery, advertising etc and you can claim this amount 100%.

BUT then you can have items that you may use only partially for the business. Maybe your mobile phone you use for both personal and business use. You then have to be able to show on your phone invoice the proportion you use for personal and business use. The amount for business use is what you offset from your tax.

There are also complicated things like Capital Allowances. This is for items of equipment, such as your nail desks, chairs, couches, UV lamps, microcurrent or other electrical machines, till, etc. Basically items that hold their value over time and that you could sell if you went bust for example! Whilst this is a business expense the Inland Revenue says you cannot write it off against tax in one financial year. You have a write down allowance, or capital allowance is what the IR call it. I'm not sure what it is for 06/07, but usually the first year is quite a large amount, about 45%. Therefore, if you have a couch that you bought for £100 you CANNOT claim this whole invoice against your tax for that year, you can only claim that 45% . But we are getting mega complicated here and it will blow your mind if i carry on.

So basically to get back to your question, you can't claim tax back, it just means you don't pay it if your net profit (ie your income less your outgoings) is below that amount of £5035.

Boy I hope that made sense! I would get booked on an IR course as they are fab and it really goes into this in depth in a very easy to understand way, far better than I can explain that 's for sure!!!!!!!!!

Also remember if you make a loss then you can carry forward that loss to the next year which means it can help reduce your tax bill for next year!

Thanks for that info Sassy - it definately cleared a few things up for me aswell!!

Truthfully, I am astounded how much the USA and the UK are alike in the IR (IRS claimings)
IR stands for Internal revenue?

Truthfully, I am astounded how much the USA and the UK are alike in the IR (IRS claimings)
IR stands for Internal revenue?
Inland Revenue

Okay when you are a sole trader you do not get paid a PAYE salary, so any money you take from the business are called "drawings" (I guess it comes from the word withdraw). It's all a little confusing and really it's only technical talk to say that money you take out of the business in this way hasn't had a net profit calculated and so tax has not been deducted from it yet (so Caroline a drawing is not a tax free little perk I'm afraid).

I always get things wrong where the IR are concerned... can you see why I don't do our own books?!! :lol:

Brilliant advice there Sassy, pretty much what our accountant said....

.. what a great site this is!!

We are so lucky to be able to get so much information... I'd give you rep again but I think I've got to spread the lurve... :lol: ... and repping a mod twice in one week could be seen as creeping!!!

Thankyou to everyone who has taken the time to reply to this!! Much clearer now xx

Latest posts

Back