Tax Question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
Just wondering for all those geeks that are self employed and do your own tax return do you ever get a tax rebate ?

Im really confused as my boyfriend gets a rebate every single year since he has been self employed for a few hundred pounds and has so far not had to pay any tax.

Ive submitted my tax return and was told I wasn't due a rebate as I hadn't overpaid any tax, when I explained the above to them and asked why bf got rebate and he hadn't paid any tax she just kept repeating over and over you haven't overpaid so there is nothing to be refunded, I said fair enough but how come others get rebate ?! She wouldn't answer that.

So Im just wondering if anyone else gets a rebate each year ?

Is he getting a re-bate based on tax that he has paid for previous years?

What does your boyfriend do? My Husband works in the construction industry and some of his invoices for work done is paid net of contractors tax at 20% so when his tax return is done at the end of the year he occasionally gets a tax rebate because of this contractors tax.

He is a tennis coach, he said he hasn't paid any tax since he was in paid employment and that was over 3 years ago.

Ive been self-employed for 5 years now and generally get a rebate but thats because I'm also employed too.
by the time you have your allowance which is about £4600, and take off the PAYE that I've already paid, I generally get a rebate.

How could you get a rebate if you haven't actually paid any tax?

Do you work at a loss every month?

Ive been self-employed for 5 years now and generally get a rebate but thats because I'm also employed too.
by the time you have your allowance which is about £4600, and take off the PAYE that I've already paid, I generally get a rebate.

How could you get a rebate if you haven't actually paid any tax?

Do you work at a loss every month?

Well this is what I don't understand either I don't work at a loss and he definetly doesn't as he doesn't really need to buy anything (only petrol) so I can't work out why he gets a refund either ?! lol

at the end of the day, if you say earn £10k Gross.
You take off £4600 personal allowance.
You then take off your overheads, petrol, products, advertising, etc, which is about £5k.
You are then liable for tax on £400 which will be negible.

I would also arrange to speak to someone different to who you have already spoken too and get advice. You may not have got 'perfect' advice last time. Its always worth asking again.

hi chik my boyf gets rebates at the end of the year but he pays a higher tax band in the beginning because he is in building/construction is this wot your man does? thy pay 20% which is much higher..he has it taken away at a high rate then gets it back in april! random! but thats the way it works! if he isnt in that trade it beats me hun..xx best of luck..

Well this is what I don't understand either I don't work at a loss and he definetly doesn't as he doesn't really need to buy anything (only petrol) so I can't work out why he gets a refund either ?! lol
He must have a good accountant!

Does He Do His Tax Returns On The Internet?

Just wondering for all those geeks that are self employed and do your own tax return do you ever get a tax rebate ?

Im really confused as my boyfriend gets a rebate every single year since he has been self employed for a few hundred pounds and has so far not had to pay any tax.

Ive submitted my tax return and was told I wasn't due a rebate as I hadn't overpaid any tax, when I explained the above to them and asked why bf got rebate and he hadn't paid any tax she just kept repeating over and over you haven't overpaid so there is nothing to be refunded, I said fair enough but how come others get rebate ?! She wouldn't answer that.

So Im just wondering if anyone else gets a rebate each year ?

Hi Bombini, i know this is an old thread but i am in exactly the same position atm and i wondered the exact same thing as yourself, just wondering whether u found out any thing else or was given any advice?
thanks x

Latest posts

Back