Tax Returns, do you put through...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlabarbie

Reaction score
...receipts for your personal beauty products like deodrant toothpaste, make up, moisturisers etc etc etc? And your work clothes and shoes?

I'm asking because I used to be self employed years ago, as a promotions girl, and we could put all the above through as we had to look good and be groomed, and have the right clothes and shoes for certain jobs. (for example black trousers and black shoes)

Now, I am starting self employed in a salon in a week :eek: so I wont have to do a tax return this year obviously but just wondering if as a nail tech/massage therapist is it worth me keeping the above? After all, I guess we have to look groomed in the beauty business!?

Thanks

oooh yes i hope someone in the knowanswers as this is a great question i wud love to know about as well xx

waiting .....

ask your accountant, they would know, keep in mind, the more deductions you make, the more attention/questions you may draw to yourself

I know that you can for uniform but I'm not too sure about personal items, because I'm sure the tax man would argue that you would be using them anyway (especially the toothpaste and deodorant - right? :eek:)

ask your accountant, they would know, keep in mind, the more deductions you make, the more attention/questions you may draw to yourself

Good point:green:

I know that you can for uniform but I'm not too sure about personal items, because I'm sure the tax man would argue that you would be using them anyway (especially the toothpaste and deodorant - right? :eek:)

Yes I see what you mean, maybe not the basics then! LOL what about haircuts and make up though?

I'm not saying we should, I'm just asking because as I said I could do it in the past and I was just wondering.

When I get an accountant I will ask.:green:

If you get in touch with your local Inland Revenue office they will help - they are VERY helpful! They also do courses for the self employed which are free and really worth attending. If you take any stock for personal use then this is not tax deductable I'm afraid.

BTW accountants don't always get it right so beware! That's why I do my own accounts. Just done my self assessment return for 06/07 already yippee!

When i registered my business i was asked if i wanted to do a free 1 day course in basic bookkeeping and self assesments....it was brilliant. They go into everything from your gas and electricity bills if working from home to petrol and uniforms....Give them a ring and ask if they still do them.

work related clothing you can claim for - tunics, shoes etc, but i would say no to toothpaste & deodorant cos surely you use that anyway? unless you wanna be penickity and work out what pecentage of deodorant you wear for work and claim for that - but i still don't think you could!!?? id say no to hair cuts too xx

Do you think Botox could be put through as obviously we need to look our best and teeth whitening?

If you get in touch with your local Inland Revenue office they will help - they are VERY helpful! They also do courses for the self employed which are free and really worth attending. If you take any stock for personal use then this is not tax deductable I'm afraid.

BTW accountants don't always get it right so beware! That's why I do my own accounts. Just done my self assessment return for 06/07 already yippee!

Thank you:green:

When i registered my business i was asked if i wanted to do a free 1 day course in basic bookkeeping and self assesments....it was brilliant. They go into everything from your gas and electricity bills if working from home to petrol and uniforms....Give them a ring and ask if they still do them.

Thank you:green:

I do know that you can put uniforms through but they have to have a name showing on the outside of the tunic ie your salon name or a Creative/biosculpture/calgel/nsi etc tunic, otherwise according to my tax office you cannot claim.

The tax adviser on my course said you could even sew one of those name tabs that you put on kids clothes on your uniform and that would be ok.

Don't think that you can claim for toothpaste etc.

i don't know why anyone would want to go to the trouble of trying to claim for toothpaste and other day to day necessity items...you would first have to work out how much of that tube of toothpaste was used for work times and non work times. Anything you use day to day that you would still use if not at work i would say isn't dedcutable...that includes loo roll...:lol: x

i don't know why anyone would want to go to the trouble of trying to claim for toothpaste and other day to day necessity items...you would first have to work out how much of that tube of toothpaste was used for work times and non work times. Anything you use day to day that you would still use if not at work i would say isn't dedcutable...that includes loo roll...:lol: x

ahh but if clients use your toilet a lot you can claim - my mums a childminder - our toilet roll bill is sky high!! lolz xx

You cannot claim for things like you have mentioned unfortunately I did ask at my workshop. Only workwear which cannot be worn elsewhere etc can be claimed for was the answer I got.

I asked specifically regarding my skincare range and make up as I obviously need to use this to promote it and was told categorically NO:eek:

claim for everything you can, you are aload to do so, of course you need to look good in your job! you are the advertisment for you business, and it is not very likley that you will be asked to show your recepts although you should always keep them, i'm off to turkey to look for new supplies so i am putting it down as a business expence but it is a holiday also, just think is what your buying or doing going to help your business grow! if it does then claim it, i even claim for my perfume

You cannot claim for things like you have mentioned unfortunately I did ask at my workshop. Only workwear which cannot be worn elsewhere etc can be claimed for was the answer I got.

I asked specifically regarding my skincare range and make up as I obviously need to use this to promote it and was told categorically NO:eek:

Cool, ok, thank you!

I know everyone is laughing at me re/the toothpaste thing, but I did seriously used to put all my cosmetics shopping through.

claim for everything you can, you are aload to do so, of course you need to look good in your job! you are the advertisment for you business, and it is not very likley that you will be asked to show your recepts although you should always keep them, i'm off to turkey to look for new supplies so i am putting it down as a business expence but it is a holiday also, just think is what your buying or doing going to help your business grow! if it does then claim it, i even claim for my perfume

:green: so I'm not mad then!:lol: Thank you

that is wrong! speak to a tax inspector, who is to say you have to change cloths on leaving work

Latest posts

Back