Tax Returns, do you put through...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i went to the IR open workshop before i became self-employed, they said that you could not claim for your uniform as you have to have this to work in.

are you sure this is right?

i would have thought things that you NEED to work are things you can claim for.

I could understand more if they said you couldnt claim because you didnt need a uniform to perform your work.

But you do need things such as tools and products.

x

There are no dodges, loopholes, tricks or fixes. A good accountant can save you the most tax but a good accountant will cost you the most money.

Follow the guidelines, don't cheat and you will find you can sleep at night.:)
So true. My new accountant seems great but he charges over £500 a year. Well worth it though as he knows all of the rules and will save me money in the long run. For example, although I don't work from home, I can claim part of the heating, elec etc if I use an area of the house to sit in and do my paperwork.

UPDATE: I've started work now so have got myself a book, and have been writing down:

DATE/DESCRIPTION/IN/OUT

01.01.01/Training Course/ /500.00

(for example)

Is that sufficient? I have kept all receipts and have put through my train fares to my training, my uniform and stock, rent, and my IN is the treatments I have been paid for.

i was told by inland revenue that training to become a nail tech couldn't be included cos at that point you were not actually a nail tech....any further training could be claimed for as you where now a nail tech...

I questioned this till i was blue in the face but they where adamant that training to become something wasn't claimable....x

.I was blinking well shocked when I was told that any subsequent training after my initial course I could not claim for. The only time you can claim after your initial course is if you have an awarding body that says you HAVE to train or take exams every year to keep your qualification valid. They basically said that it is your choice to train further and is not considered a necessary expense by the tax man!!! Even accountants get this one wrong from what I hear!

Now then Sass that really surprises me as at my tax course the tax inspector there told me that your initial training could not be claimed but any training subsequently that enhanced your already learned skills could be claimed. I will check that one out again.

i was told by inland revenue that training to become a nail tech couldn't be included cos at that point you were not actually a nail tech....any further training could be claimed for as you where now a nail tech...

I questioned this till i was blue in the face but they where adamant that training to become something wasn't claimable....x

Gawd, thats really annoying! I was told by my salon owner and the other techs to put it through????

I've enrolled on a TM course (Transendental Meditation) and on the booking form, it says that it can be claimed against your tax as it's recommended for stress at work.

I've enrolled on a TM course (Transendental Meditation) and on the booking form, it says that it can be claimed against your tax as it's recommended for stress at work.

cool...does that mean i can claim for my cigarettes and wine too then...???....:lol:

Now then Sass that really surprises me as at my tax course the tax inspector there told me that your initial training could not be claimed but any training subsequently that enhanced your already learned skills could be claimed. I will check that one out again.

Maybe I wasn't listening properly - well they are dead boring :lol: - but I am sure that is what they said as I remember the bit that said you could only claim if you belonged to a guild or something that stipulated you HAD to update your training every year or so. So it was only the initial training and not subsequent courses as that was our choice and not fundamental to the business.

after reading this i am beginning to think that they don't all sing from the same hymn sheet...which is why as sassy said its better to ring your local office and ask them directly.

I was definitely told that future training was allowed but to train to become something in the first place wasnt...becouse at that point you where not actually a nail technician.

Latest posts

Back