Teach or assess, I’m clueless!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodie-danielle

Reaction score
Hello,
Its been a VERY long time since I have been on here but I am stuck with where to go as I've searched and searched and even asked my old college tutors, so hopefully you guys can shine some light on my question.

I've been fully qualified in beauty since 2009, I have worked in salons throughout my training but became self employed in 2010 and opened my own salon, I ran this for 7 years and then moved onto bigger premises unfortunately due to matters out of my control and for my own and clients safety I had to close my salon and move my business to my home, but it was a blessing in disguise as I am very happy and all my clients moved with me.

Anyways what I was wondering is... now I'm from home I feel I have more time to concentrate on putting a-bit more of future together for myself and I can't see me working from home forever so I have looked into the possibilities of teaching my trade or if not this then assessing. but just WHERE do I start??

What qualifications do I need for teaching? I've read about the degrees but do I do all the degrees or the basic to get me into teaching?
What qualifications do I need for assessing?
Are there online courses for both of these or do I work from a college?

I am not shy of working or interacting with others its a given with this job but I just want to know everything and anything about both aspects of these qualifications to know which I would be better suited to. I just know I will soon get to the point of not wanting to do nails everyday and If I can help others then I would love to.

I hope those who have taken the time to read this can help a girl out.

Thankyou in advance

JD

x x x

I have come on to find out the same as you as I am looking into teaching and assessing and trying to find out what would be best for me to do! Did you manage to find out about it I'm wanting an online course to start, I'm spose to be starting a focus level 4 in teaching and education this friday but want to know it's going to be right before I sign up for the learner loan, I typed in google and it mentioned that it's not a recognised qualification which I wouldnt want to waste my time on if so!

I did my teacher training via Canterbury Christchurch University. I applied to do the Diploma in Education and Training. (Commonly known as DET). This is what colleges and schools look for in their Teaching Staff. Some pay fir you to do it whilst working for them. I did mine in advance of any job offer. I had to find somewhere willing to let me teach for 100 hrs a year and Mentor me. I worked much more than 100 hrs voluntary but all went towards the qualification. If however, you just want to teach/train students privately then all you need is the Award in Education and Training which is a much much shorter course and can mostly be done online. This is all you need to teach/train privately. And a lot cheaper. I didn’t actually complete the 2 years DET as it was becoming apparent to me that there just weren’t jobs available close to me within college or school settings so I completed the first year which gave me the Certificate in Education and Training (CET). This is way more than I need to train/teach privately but not quite enough to Teach in a college or school setting as staff. I can do the extra year if a job came up. I did my Assessors Certificate online but the assessor came to assess me assessing students. (Got that? ). Look online for the Award in Education and Training and separately for Assessors courses. VTCT do this.

Latest posts

Back