teacher training couses eek help me!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesel1978

Reaction score
Oh my gawd i am so baffled by all these courses in my prospectus where do i start!!!

Ok we have Certificate in Education/PCGE .....2 year Uni course ....3 days per week

or

City and Guilds 7302 Certificate in delivering learning.....introduction......17 week course

or

City and Guilds 7407 certificate in further education teaching 13 weeks +26 week

i am thinking and please correct me if i am wrong but if i do the last 2 courses i will be on the right track?????
Any info from people who have done these courses would be much appreciated and also what i can expect to do throughout the course etc.......i am so nervous but dam it ill do it!!!

You want the 7407 and the cert ed. Not heard of the other one may be a nw course or an introduction course to see if you like it.

7407 is compulsory for anyone wanting to teach people over the age of 16 and cert ed if you want to take it further.

You also need a level 3 qualification in the subject you want to teach and do voluntary or paid teaching hours while studying.
HTH

hiya, ive just been talking to my local college about these courses only this week and i thought that if you just did the 7407 (sorry if ive got the numbers wrong) you would be ok but i was then told that before i could do the 7407 course i had to complete the 7302 which would then take me onto the next step which would then be the 7407 course. so iam just in the process of applying for this course (7302) but youve got to complete a essay for it.

hope this all makes sense to you
good luck

Sounds like the 7302 is a new bolt on as they have obviously made some long awaited changes to the qualifications, they do this thats probably why you were told that the 7407 is ok on its own.

its not compulsory for the cert ed/pgce (if you already ahve a degree then its callled a pgce althouh the work is the same).

The 7407 is made up of lot of essays and microteaches it is hard work as it makes you think in a totally different way but really worthwhile. The cert ed has only about 4 essays including a portfolio but theya re thousands of words essays.

Hope this is a bit clearer as i seem to be having a derrr day lol
x

Ok this is my take on it....
It seems to vary from area to area.
I was initially told that the 7302 was where peeps usually started but was now being phased out & that I needed to go straight to 7407.
However half way through my 7407 I had a mate who got in touch and said she was doing the 7302.
My 7407 was bloody hard work. I think a lot depends on the teacher you have and I was taught by head of teaching dept so he wanted to be sure it was all covered correctly as this was the first year 7407 had to be completed to degree level 4.
I have completed parts 1&2... there is a 3 but a lot of colleges dont do it (mine) they just move straight to Cert Ed.
For 7407 & Cert Ed. you will have to sit a maths & lit test and get at least level 2 ...there again that was at my college and I was told these were the new guidelines.
Im sure Lucia & I have now done an excellent job of confusing you even more, lol!
OOh yeah ....and you cant do the 7407 unless youre already teaching...you need 20 hours for the first part and have to have 40 hours for the second.

I'm starting mt 7407 in a few weeks and I'm pooping my pantalons!!!!!!! LOL!!

hiya tilly where are you doing your 7407 course?

Huddersfield Technical College!

Are you doing one to?

ive been told that ive got do my 7302 first!

have you done that one?

Nope!! They told me I could go straight into the 7407!

It's all so confusing!!!!!

Tilly Hun,
Do you already teach...are they going to 'place' you in a class?
You do need at least 20 hours worth of teaching for the first part of 7407 because somone has to come out and observe you teach a few times and this is some of what counts toward your portfolio.

What?!?! They never told me that! I don't teach at the moment but I will be doing my teaching practice when I start the course!!

They never said I had to have teaching experience already!!!

Hang on let me go check!!

http://www.huddcoll.ac.uk/courses/crslftprttime.asp?CL_NO=GE143

Can you please have a lok at this link and see if I have miss understood it? I can't see anywhere that is says you already need to teach! It sayd 60 hours teaching required but they said that this would be the teaching practise that I did while I was doing the course!!!

Help me please!!!

Tilly hun,
If youve already had the interview they should have explained it properly, if they havent... you need to get in touch with them asap...

"This course is designed for people teaching anybody over the age of 16 years and the teaching which you do, can be in colleges, evening classes, outreach, community or Adult Education Centres"

I understand this to mean as it did for me, that it doesnt matter where your teaching is, as long as youre teaching...

"Entry Requirements

To get on the course applicants must have:
•Appropriate Qualifications or experience of their own subject.
•An arrangement to undertake a minimum of 60 hours of teaching during the year of the course. When you are doing your teaching you need to be able to plan your sessions and to take control of the delivery"

"An arrangement to undertake 60 hours teaching" means that you need to have a position set up already before you undertake the course. If they havent explained this properly to you, you need to get back to them and tell them that youre not teaching yet (if youre not).
They may be able to help you out with this, some colleges are more accomodating than others.
I know a hairdresser who did her course by assisting another tutor... may be they are going to set you up to do this also, but you need know if they are, and get it sorted asap.
Hth.

My criteria was the same Tilly and i had to find a placement where i could teach even if a voluntary place, these are not hard to get most teachers love another one to help them. Hunt around for one now before everyone else grabs them babe.
x

When i did the 7407 it was a while ago and we did part 1&2 together and then moved into the cert ed but it wasnt the level 4 qualification it is now but a level 3. Ech college differs in its set up but government regulations for all eaches in FE (furher education) is that all staff must ahve a relevant qualification or be working towards it within two years of palcement. As to the 7302 this has never been offered at my college so thought it was new.
x

Sorry hope that hlep with the confusion.

Oh noooooooo! Just tried calling them but no one is there!!!

I'm enroling next week!
I have called them so many times and asked them which one I would be best doing and they have said the 7407!!!!
Think I'll sack it all in!!!!!!!!!!

Dont give up yet hun...
You just need to be clear before you start what is expected...
As Lucia said, someone would prob be happy for you to share the teaching...this happened with someone I know and she got herself a teaching slot in the college off the back of it when our 7407 was finished.
What do you want to teach?
See if you can get hold of the teacher in that subject (even if its on enrolment day) and ask them...theyre also more likely to say yes when its face to face!

Don't give up tilly

As Glo said see the teachers on enrolement day and they can give you some help with getting a placement, they are normally pretty helpful.

let us know how you get on hun.
x

Well I work in a college now but only in the office! I have arranged for me to have some supervised teaching there!

Do you think that will be enough or do I actually need to have tought people before hand?

xx

What teaching are you doing hun...in what subject?
It appears for your neck of the woods that it doesnt necessarily matter whether you have taught prior to this, but I think they will expect you to really know your subject.
No-one actually asked me to take the 7407 as I work in Adult Ed. not F.E., I volunteered to go myself because I was new to it and wanted to be sure I was doing a thorough job.
For me, teaching nail art that is non-acredited, I was given free rein to create the course myself and though it was initially a scary prospect, this made it easy for me to write up my lesson plans for the 7407.
It will make you want to scream at times but you'll get through... if I did ....anyone can!

Latest posts

Back