Teacher training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesatin

Reaction score
Hi, I am after some advice please. I own a beauty salon and am considering offering training in certain aspects of beauty. I understand that I need to complete the AET qualification but was wondering what happens next? Do I have to train to teach for a brand or can I be independent to teach any brand and how do I go about doing this? Thank you

Ive done a diploma in education and training and an assessors course, I now train for a private company which I have trained in each course that I teach for them. Hope this helps x

Your teaching qualification would be your first step and then you have to either write your own courses, get them accredited etc (or "buy" a course with GTI) depending on your ethics.
There is advantages and disadvantages to both, if you do it all yourself you are liable for the courses, kits, anything to do with the students, products you use etc but it gives you the independence of teaching the courses exactly how you want (as long as the insurance backs you up).

If you teach for a brand you have got the backing of the company, the team, they will deal with any enquiries, product and kit supply, they ensure that everything is insured and complies with legislation and they also help with marketing etc.
I would say both options are equally popular and its a bit personal preference of what you like and how much time you have for all the organisation and admin stuff, advertising etc x

As I understand it (and I might be quite wrong) with GTI courses you do use (or 'buy' if you would rather) their thoery part of the course but have some lattitude when it comes to teaching the practical aspects. VTCT courses are probably even more proscriptive but I can't see why this might present any ethical problems.

I suspect that getting a course you have written yourself acredited would be a real struggle and who would you get to do it?

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I have spoken with GTI and they have explained the different options available. First things first though....AET course.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. I have spoken with GTI and they have explained the different options available. First things first though....AET course.

Hi , I have a salon and would love to do this! It's something I've wanted to do for ages. Can you forward me some information hun. Thanks xx

Latest posts

Back