Teaching qualifications

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alicecat

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
wondering if anyone can help me....
I want to train as a hairdressing teacher (as in college) and wondering if anyone knows what qualifications i will need to do this????
I qualified as a hairdresser in 1988 so it was way before the NVQ's but have City & Guilds.....
Can't find the help I need online, any advice or details of where I can get this information will be greatly appreciated....
xxx

Last edited:
Search PTTLS. You would need to do that first. It's about 12 weeks. Then you do DTTLS (I think) and you work whilst you learn. You have to do a set amount of teaching hours too. Ask at local colleges or private ones near you too. Hth x

I did my pttls last year and now on my cttls, it's placement based and u can then go on to do dttls x

After cttls u can be a tutor, trainer, educator .

It's a lot of paperwork but very rewarding x

I did my pttls last year and now on my cttls, it's placement based and u can then go on to do dttls x

After cttls u can be a tutor, trainer, educator .

It's a lot of paperwork but very rewarding x

Hey I'm really interested in doing this, had to go back to college last sept and complete my level 3 in order to progress with teaching.
How long is the pttls course and what's involved?
Thank you.xx

Pttls took about 3 month and just all written but a class teach, and presentations but the cttls is bout 6 months placement based with 30 hrs of teaching required, I've just finished it and ready to rock and roll now x

Pttls took about 3 month and just all written but a class teach, and presentations but the cttls is bout 6 months placement based with 30 hrs of teaching required, I've just finished it and ready to rock and roll now x

Ohhh so not long at all, is the 3months full time in college for pttls?
I really want to do it ASAP... But have a 2.5yo, and don't want that to be an issue, as well as clients.xx

when I did my pttls it was a part time course, 12 weeks, 3 hrs per week. You can also do it on line but I think like any training you get much more out of it. I also have 2 very small children so this way its easy to fit around them and my clients. I haven't made plans for my cttls yet as I haven't decided what path to follow but the children are now at school so this would also be much more accessible. Good Luck x

Ye I did it at night, one day per week, it was about 150 pounds that one but the cttls was dearer and the dttls even more x

In total it's 2 yrs part Time through a university via a college. Courses used to be funded but I think you pay for them now. It is a lot of paperwork and you will need a placement in a College or Training provider. Xx

you can also do it online which may be easier for you.

you can also do it online which may be easier for you.

Can you do the full pdce online???

To teach in a College you need the full pdce professional diploma certificate in education. The pttls etc all combine together for you to achieve this. You will also need an assessors award but you can do this on the job if your employer allows you to do so. Most Colleges do like you to have this. I recently had to achieve qtls qualified teaching and learning status as my employer insists. Once you have achieved your pdce and are teaching you may need to join ifl institute for learning it is through them that you achieve qtls. Phew!

It's a huge achievement as this qualification is a foundation degree and you get to wear a cap and gown :) xx

Last edited:
Just the PTLLS I believe, majority is done online with an asessment at the end of it.
Haven't done it myself and not suggesting Its the best way but it sounded like the lady who was asking may find It fits into her lifestyle

Where did you train if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Ye I did it at night, one day per week, it was about 150 pounds that one but the cttls was dearer and the dttls even more x

Who did you train with and hope you don't mind me asking? Thanks

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I did mine at Salford college but others do it, pttls isn't placement based but cttls and dttls is x

Pttls is only one u can do online x

Hi all,

I'm looking to do my teachers as well any of advice will be help full, I have searched all night and can't find anything :(

Thanks Ellie xx

Hi all,

I'm looking to do my teachers as well any advice will be help full, I have searched all night and can't find anything :(

Thanks Ellie xx

Latest posts

Back