Teaching

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glam tree

Reaction score
Hi
I know teaching has been covered in quite a few threads. But I have a few questions that i cant seem to find answers for.
when you guys talk about verifiers award, do you mean the qualifying body, ie VTCT, etc?
Also a few post mention you need to choose a peticular subject to teach - does that mean i will need to choose a subject such as waxing to teach. or
does the qualification you gain allow you to cover all subjects.?
Thanks in advance.
GT x

Yes the qualifying (awarding) body will have their own requirements for their tutors and assessors, and it's different between them all. Teaching qualifications let you teach anything you are qualified in. But I think some subjects have tutor courses, which may be required in certain circumstances. I know that if you want to teach the BIAE electrolysis qualification you have to take their tutor training course too (and be a member) for example.

These extra courses don't take long, it's the teaching qualification that's the most important.

Yes the qualifying (awarding) body will have their own requirements for their tutors and assessors, and it's different between them all. Teaching qualifications let you teach anything you are qualified in. But I think some subjects have tutor courses, which may be required in certain circumstances. I know that if you want to teach the BIAE electrolysis qualification you have to take their tutor training course too (and be a member) for example.

These extra courses don't take long, it's the teaching qualification that's the most important.
thanks PamieD.
Am i right in thinking you first need to do your teaching degree, then other courses to become a teacher within the beauty industry, and these are offered by the awarding body?

GT x

You don't need a degree, you need the level 3 in Education and Training to gain a job and then you work towards the level 4 and level 5 as you teach, as that's part of the coursework.

Well, you probably could do a degree if you wanted, but that's more for school age students.

Where do you want to teach? Do you want to teach in a college or start your own courses?

Vic x

Been researching this loads for the last few years.

There is such a thing as a pgce teaching degree that is designed for further education teaching. Some people argue that this makes you more competitive for employment and I think they do have a point because it's the highest level you can do to prove your competence and knowledge of teaching.

However, you can do the award then certificate then diploma in education and training (formally known as ptlls ctlls dtlls) because once you have DET you are then considered to be as competent and qualified as someone with a post sixteen pgce. I have opted to do it this way because it better facilitates my need to do a teaching qualification part time. Depending how I get on I may stop at CET if that gets me where I want to be. I'll see how I get on I guess because I only want to teach evening courses or very part time. I'm currently hoping...fingers crossed...to have finished AET soon.

I believe a qualification in assessing people in vocational subjects is required for teaching beauty etc but I have yet to look into this fully.

You don't need a degree, you need the level 3 in Education and Training to gain a job and then you work towards the level 4 and level 5 as you teach, as that's part of the coursework.

Well, you probably could do a degree if you wanted, but that's more for school age students.
Oh I see. thanks that's really helpful.

Where do you want to teach? Do you want to teach in a college or start your own courses?

Vic x
I would like to work in a collage. For a few years to gain better knowledge of the way things work then maybe look at starting my own courses.

LauraKate is correct. To deliver training/teaching the minimum qualification you need is the award in education and training Level 3 - otherwise known as PTLLS. From my own experience I have found it very hard to secure work having only undertaken this qualification. I was told 'A teacher of beauty who cannot assess is worthless in this industry' so doing you assessors award is almost more important and gives you a better foot in the door (in my experience).

The verifiers award is a separate qualification which is used to assess the assessor!! (confusing!) It is not a necessity to teach.

To have full teaching status you will need to continue with your certificate in Education and Training for which you will need to have teaching hours, these may be paid or voluntary. You then go onto the Diploma part. Can take around two years in total. Once you have these quals you can teach or assess anything for which you have qualified in yourself. So if you have already done your Level 2 in beauty you could teach that for example. You could also teach subjects outside of beauty providing you have qualified in them eg. hairdressing, retail, business, engineering etc. Where I live it is very difficult to gain a job teaching in the industry as jobs are few and far between. I hope this is useful.

thanks everyone. you have all been so helpful,
GT x

You need to be level three qualified or above in the subject you wish to teach. Tis why I'm training in level 3 makeup to make sure I've covered everything and got the piece of paper even though I've been working in industry since 2010. For some academic subjects, a degree level qualification is needed to be able to teach it.

My goals is to teach part time so I am hoping that this preference makes me favourable to employers who want very part time employees who are generally happy with this. I wouldn't fancy my chances of securing full time teaching work in fe but that's ok. Mind you it depends on the subject; if you google for vacancies there are many part time beauty teaching jobs but with something like English or maths it can be more full time.

Latest posts

Back