Technicians lying to clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, I too have had similar problems. Salon's not using the correct lamp, base coat, top coat. Using a different product altogether and calling it Shellac!!

And yes, when I try to soak off I struggle and then my next appointment has to wait.

All I can say is "imitation is the purest form of flattery". If Shellac wasn't so amazing then no one would bother passing off other products as Shellac.

Having said that I agree with Geeg....just buy the real thing! It's worth every single penny.

we have something just like it" or worse, be given a mixture of different treatments cobbled together by some idiot nail tech who thinks she knows better than the manufacturers.
...... GEEG that is the best quote I've heard for a long time LMAO!!!!

It's soooo true, I'm dealing with "oh I'll never have that awful stuff on my nails again" because of a cobbled attempt by a local salon to use a gel polish and buff the hell out of nails in the process and use a product that is yet another generic poor attempt at Shellac.

But hey ho there will be this situation for any good new technology.... so I think I'm gonna be pretty blue in the face for a while as all we can do is EDUCATE :D

I've explained to clients that Shellac isn't like any other non-standard polish on the market so I MUST know if the product is truly Shellac. They look me straight in the eye and say YES. Either they've been told it's Shellac or they just don't believe me when I tell them all non-standard polishes are not created equal.

we have something just like it" or worse, be given a mixture of different treatments cobbled together by some idiot nail tech who thinks she knows better than the manufacturers.
...... GEEG that is the best quote I've heard for a long time LMAO!!!!

It's soooo true, I'm dealing with "oh I'll never have that awful stuff on my nails again" because of a cobbled attempt by a local salon to use a gel polish and buff the hell out of nails in the process and use a product that is yet another generic poor attempt at Shellac.

But hey ho there will be this situation for any good new technology.... so I think I'm gonna be pretty blue in the face for a while as all we can do is EDUCATE :D

"Oh, but I don't buff the natural nail when I PREP and I have NO problems at all!!!" :D
So Say all the gel users even though every gel company has it in their instructions to do so AND every one of the gel companies buffed the nails at at the Scottish show during the demos ... because we sent secret shoppers to every single stand ... not one stand was preparing the natural nail without buffing it first.

APART from the Shellackers ... Fi and I never buffed a nail the whole day long from 9:30 am until the show closed!! I totally stand by CND instructions and have never had to buff the natural nail before applying Shellac. Never had the need to use another top coat or another base coat or indeed any other colours other than the ones we have. Always lovely to excite the clients with new colours and I love rolling them out every 6 months.

Indeed, I believe "feeding the nails" is also a major "benefit" that will lead to beautiful trashed nails.

I am slightly perturbed by this........ i haven't fed my nails will they die of hunger?????

But I think that at the end of the day we that use Shellac know that we are giving a unique treatment to our clients and they will be able to judge for themselves.

Think back to Excell this year, I know which queue was mahoosive and I know which queue I was in ..... the one to get the products my clients are actually asking for!

I totally stand by CND instructions and have never had to buff the natural nail before applying Shellac.

I did my own test with Gelish. I buffed one hand and didn't buff the other. In 2 1/2 weeks, both hands were still perfect. There is no need to buff the nail plate with Gelish. I don't know about the others. But I've seen it in demos for Gelish, Gelac and Geleez. Buff, buff, buff.

I did my own test with Gelish. I buffed one hand and didn't buff the other. In 2 1/2 weeks, both hands were still perfect. There is no need to buff the nail plate with Gelish. I don't know about the others. But I've seen it in demos for Gelish, Gelac and Geleez. Buff, buff, buff.

Was your own test on beautiful natural nails or on natural nailsthat had been previously wearing enhancements?

Previously enhanced nails probably don't need buffing for gel to stick well; they will have a dry surface and most likely accept the gel very well without further buffing, but virgin beautiful natural nails need buffing before gel is applied for it to adhere well to the surface. The gel companies know this and they all recommend it.

With great respect to you and your experience, I'm not sure that one test on your own nails will give a general answer that, you don't need to buff. YOU didn't need to ... works for you ... maybe you look after your nails better than most, maybe your nails were previously enhanced ... maybe they were very short and had no pressure on them .. maybe many things .. maybe you are not typical. All gels recommend buffing so my guess is that as a general rule for success for all, the nails need to be buffed or there will be disappointed clients.

I market Shellac to natural nail clients almost exclusively; not enhancement clients. I am not going to touch their natural nails before applying Shellac other than to clean them. No buffing is just one of the unique selling points of Shellac and one my natural nail clients really appreciate.

Last edited:
With great respect to you and your experience, I'm not sure that one test on your own nails will give a general answer that, you don't need to buff. YOU didn't need to ... works for you ... maybe you look after your nails better than most, maybe your nails were previously enhanced ... maybe they were very short and had no pressure on them .. maybe many things .. maybe you are not typical. All gels recommend buffing so my guess is that as a general rule for success for all, the nails need to be buffed or there will be disappointed clients.

You know, Gigi, I didn't think about that all. You're right...I take meticulous care of my nails plus I had just removed enhancements when I did this little experiment so the surface of my nails was rough. I didn't take those factors into consideration.

You're awesome, Gigi! That's why I love you.

One question.... When you say no buffing, do you mean just the medium/course buffer? Or is it a no no with a fine block buffer (comparable to a 400). Because some of my nail peelers (who peel with or without shellac) need some buffing to remove the peeling bit of the nail. I've never had a problem when doing this, but I was just curious your thoughts. Thanks!

One question.... When you say no buffing, do you mean just the medium/course buffer? Or is it a no no with a fine block buffer (comparable to a 400). Because some of my nail peelers (who peel with or without shellac) need some buffing to remove the peeling bit of the nail. I've never had a problem when doing this, but I was just curious your thoughts. Thanks!

Hi Keri,

There are exceptions to every rule .. and a person with peeling nails has of course got to have that peeling removed during preparation or the service would be ruined in no time.

Rules and procedures of PEP are made for the vast majority and as professionals we should, with our knowledge, be able to make safe decisions about what to do with the 'exceptions' to the rules as you have done. :hug:

K! Just checking. Making sure I was doing it right ::hug:: Thanx :)

I just recently had shellac on my fingers and toes, to compare to Gelish! didn't last any longer infact my toes chipped! Like everything in beauty, everyone has their own opinion on products, but its all down to the client's aftercare in my eyes! I have fantastic clients that last 4 weeks with Gelish and others that just love to bite it off (Their problem) and i am giving advice till am blue in the face!
I personally don't wear gloves ect, as i just can't be bothered, but if i get two weeks out of my gel,am a happy bunny......am getting bored of colour by then anyway :lol:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I strongly believe Shellac should be more closely controlled (like Jessica Geleration) - with compulsory training and close scrutiny of work etc..

SO many problems here also with SO few getting Shellac right. (despite it being so easy to do) It's a shame - FANTASTIC product - lack of control.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I strongly believe Shellac should be more closely controlled (like Jessica Geleration) - with compulsory training and close scrutiny of work etc..

SO many problems here also with SO few getting Shellac right. (despite it being so easy to do) It's a shame - FANTASTIC product - lack of control.

One thing you have to be careful of at salon geek, is taking the posts here as typical of what is going on in the industry or even with a product.

The vast majority of people on this site are new to nails and have little experience; hence so many posts about problems. The really busy techs are not on this site all day long and are not having the 'problems' and are out there making money

The vast majority of Shellac users are making fantastic new business with Shellac. They have the usual mix of 90% happy clients and the small percent of those who pick or trash or don't care for their nails. That is all perfectly normal.

The other statistic is that smart technicians and manicurists always take a class and learn how to use a new product even if some think it is As easy as applying polish (which in some ways it is) but Thera are different nuances and tricks that need to be learned to be the most successful.

shellac sales are controlled as much as they can be controlled. You have to be a professional that holds a manicure and pedicure qualification and then you are invited to take a class. Not allot more that can be done.

There are masses of posts here from users of every brand about the 'problems' they have encountered including the Jessica brand that you mention above, but my informed opinion is that most of the ones experiencing them are from inexperienced technicians, those who are not using the correct equipment or system, or those who have not taken advantage of the classes available. I'd stake my reputation on it. :green:

I cannot agree more! I am a newbie and was desperate to offer Shellac as one of my services. I had trained in Bio Sculpture and thought I would find Shellac a breeze. I got the kit and started on friends and family then began to do it as part of my mobile services and in the salon I work in part time. I experienced a few wee problems and decided to do the training. Wow, what a difference! My confidence in myself and the product increased ten-fold and cannot recommend this enough. The support I received was outstanding.

My Shellac-attack wasn't too expensive either, and well worth it.

I'd like to think so Geeg...where I am I get so many complaints about poor experiences with Shellac elsewhere - it frustrates me as it's SO good. My clients know that - I'm inundated. 1-200 clients in 5 months because of SHELLAC! Then some come in and I find out how bad it is elsewhere - that's why I'm busy :green:

I'd like to think so Geeg...where I am I get so many complaints about poor experiences with Shellac elsewhere - it frustrates me as it's SO good. My clients know that - I'm inundated. 1-200 clients in 5 months because of SHELLAC! Then some come in and I find out how bad it is elsewhere - that's why I'm busy :green:

Don't knock it babe! :) There are always messers! Forget them and keep busy with your 200 clients.

Thanks I will!!! I will Shellac away until the cows come home!! and the sheep and the pigs..:green:

Gigi, I really don't want to but it's getting to the point of ridiculous at my salon. Just this weekend the nail salon had 5 clients with "Shellac" on their nails all applied at other salons. Two of these clients were on my book. Because we didn't apply it at our salon and I couldn't identify the color as Shellac, I buffed the shine, applied the remover wraps and in 10 minutes, the product still was just starting to lift. It wasn't Shellac. It took each of these clients' entire 30 minute appointments to get the product off their nails. My fellow techs took the clients at their word and didn't buff the shine and ended up running 15-20 minutes into their next appointment trying to get the product off the nails.

So I'm back to: If I didn't apply it and I can't identify it, I'm buffing it.

Had my first experience with this...client was new but had the "shellac" applied in another province. She too swore it was Shellac as she looked me up on the Shellac website. It was horrible to take off and her nail beds were not in good shape. Good Grief.

Jersey, as Gigi stated, a beautiful green can be created using Shellac. Here it is on my own nails. It's one of my faves! However, this speaks to the point. With all the layering possibilities, if we didn't apply it, how are we to know what the client has on her nails?
gr8nailz-albums-shellac-picture37835-another-view.jpg

Theses are stunning, can I ask which Shellac colours you used to achieve this. I think this is one of the nicest I have seen.x

Latest posts

Back