Technicians lying to clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unique.Tips

Reaction score
I'm not trying to rant... But I'm so perturbed about an appointment I had today.

One of my regs had to go to another salon to have her shellac redone due to missing her standing appointment and me not having time to fit her in. Which is cool with me.

I say she went to a salon, but in all reality she went to a "nail bar". The nails looked great and I recognized Romantique as the color so I proceeded to remove as always.

10 minutes later it wasn't budging. She was insistent that she saw the tech use CND Romantique so I assumed it was applied too thickly and proceeded to continue soaking. 10 more minutes go by and still not budging.

I continue talking to my client about her experience at this particular nail place and finally figured out the problem.... The tech had applied an acetone resistant gel top coat as the top AND base coat when applying the Romantique color coat. Yet still sold the service to her as Shellac!! :/

I was so irked I almost called the nail place to let them know what I think, but changed my mind. I know it wouldn't change anything.

Y do these places stay in business?? I don't understand how they don't get caught for false advertising!! Is there anything I can do about it?

There isn't anything you can do really. If it's any consolation, we're all going through it, too. I had a client come in on Sunday for a full Shellac service. I was only able to do the removal in the time alloted because the product wasn't Shellac. Had she been told it was Shellac? Or did she tell me it was Shellac because she figured Shellac, Gelish, Gelac...whatever..it's all the same? I'll never know .

With all the layering possibilities now, it's difficult to know if a color is Shellac or not so it's getting harder to spot every day. I'm to the point now if the client didn't have the Shellac application done at our nail spa, I'm going to buff the shine before I apply the remover wraps.

I had a new client yesterday that said she had shellac on, so I said I would remove it and re shellac, she had a green polish on, so we all know it definately was NOT shellac..............:mad:

Blackpool and Iced Coral layering make GREEN...

but perhaps you recognized another green shade that you knew was not Shellac?

I had a new client yesterday that said she had shellac on, so I said I would remove it and re shellac, she had a green polish on, so we all know it definately was NOT shellac..............:mad:

Jersey, as Gigi stated, a beautiful green can be created using Shellac. Here it is on my own nails. It's one of my faves! However, this speaks to the point. With all the layering possibilities, if we didn't apply it, how are we to know what the client has on her nails?
gr8nailz-albums-shellac-picture37835-another-view.jpg

Yes see your point, but I've been using shellac since it was launched I can spot shellac straight away, it was definately green polish and shellac top coat, so I think its unfair that the client had been told she had been shellaced, also she had it on for only 2 weeks and it was all chipped so another reason I knew it wasn't shellac. I will remember in the future that there are so many colour combinations that I may not be aware off, thanks for pointing out........:hug:

Just had to say Gr8nailz, they are stunning! :green:

We have a salon close by that does "Shellac" and I am fed up of having do defend our service because they are not using the correct lamp. The shellac bubbles and causes heat spikes.

If I had a pound for every customer that has seen my shellac stand and commented on it being a painful process I would be rich. I of course correct them and educate them on the importance of using the rigt lamp.

I am a Nail Bar technically as other than Garra Rufa I don't do any other treatments but I am professional and hate that other quick set me up salons / nail bars are giving us a bad name x

There isn't anything you can do really. If it's any consolation, we're all going through it, too. I had a client come in on Sunday for a full Shellac service. I was only able to do the removal in the time alloted because the product wasn't Shellac. Had she been told it was Shellac? Or did she tell me it was Shellac because she figured Shellac, Gelish, Gelac...whatever..it's all the same? I'll never know .

With all the layering possibilities now, it's difficult to know if a color is Shellac or not so it's getting harder to spot every day. I'm to the point now if the client didn't have the Shellac application done at our nail spa, I'm going to buff the shine before I apply the remover wraps.

I really hope you do not have to go this route. Because what will come from that is that others will posibly start buffing Shellac which is something we just do not want to do. One of the main USP's of Shellac is NO buffing. I can see why you may feel forced to take this action, but I sincerely hope you do not have to go this far.

Gr8nailz those are beautiful ! How do u get that effect with the green ? I'd like to try it on my own with Gelish :)

Your nails are awesome :) :)

gr8nails - wow wow wow they look gorgeous, I have always avoided doing nail art but they look fab - care to share how you did them lol?:)

gr8nails - wow wow wow they look gorgeous, I have always avoided doing nail art but they look fab - care to share how you did them lol?:)

Obviously I'm not the tech who dod these splendid nails but I can assume how it was done. Two layers black pool. One layer iced coral at the cuticle only. To create affect use a dotting tool or Striper brush to create the flame effect before curing.

As I stated earlier... This is my assumption. Lol gr8nails will have to elaborate for the correct response :) beautiful job!!!!!

unique tips - thank you - yes its really lovely - I know I use Gelicure not Shellac - but might just give this a go with the colours I have - inspired me

We are running into the same thing in our place, one of the places is calling it their "special top coat"

It can be very frustrating.......

What never ceases to amaze me is why these salons don't just buy the genuine thing? It's not like it is much more expensive or anything and it's what so many clients are clearly asking for and by name?? What is their problem?

If I see something reviewed on TV or by a friend who is raving about it or in the press, and I go to buy that thing ... I WANT WHAT I HAVE HEARD ABOUT and not some copy cat product or some completely different product that no one has told me about or raved about! I don't want to hear, "we have something similar" or "we have something just like it" or worse, be given a mixture of different treatments cobbled together by some idiot nail tech who thinks she knows better than the manufacturers.

It does my head in! And it's so unnecessary! Just buy Shellac :biggrin:

I was shocked when I first put my salon on the CND website as a Shellac salon by how many phone calls I got from girls asking about it. I didnt expect it at all. But I much prefer to do manicure type services as opposed to pedicure type services because of my back.

I had someone tell me it was okay to use polish pro with Shellac but that wouldnt a) feel right and b) be giving my clients a true Shellac service. and I pride myself upon being a cnd exclusive salon.

If it's any consolation, we're all going through it, too.

Same here. And it's not just people lying about products and services, believe me..

Some people in competition just don' have any ethics whatsoever.

Obviously I'm not the tech who dod these splendid nails but I can assume how it was done. Two layers black pool. One layer iced coral at the cuticle only. To create affect use a dotting tool or Striper brush to create the flame effect before curing.

As I stated earlier... This is my assumption. Lol gr8nails will have to elaborate for the correct response :) beautiful job!!!!!

EXACTLY! No mystery here.

I really hope you do not have to go this route. Because what will come from that is that others will posibly start buffing Shellac which is something we just do not want to do. One of the main USP's of Shellac is NO buffing. I can see why you may feel forced to take this action, but I sincerely hope you do not have to go this far.

Gigi, I really don't want to but it's getting to the point of ridiculous at my salon. Just this weekend the nail salon had 5 clients with "Shellac" on their nails all applied at other salons. Two of these clients were on my book. Because we didn't apply it at our salon and I couldn't identify the color as Shellac, I buffed the shine, applied the remover wraps and in 10 minutes, the product still was just starting to lift. It wasn't Shellac. It took each of these clients' entire 30 minute appointments to get the product off their nails. My fellow techs took the clients at their word and didn't buff the shine and ended up running 15-20 minutes into their next appointment trying to get the product off the nails.

So I'm back to: If I didn't apply it and I can't identify it, I'm buffing it.

Latest posts

Back