Technicians who wear gloves

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sighthound

Reaction score
I have just started wearing gloves for services and was wondering if anyone else who does, has worked out a way to apply disposable forms for enhancements with gloves on - they are just so sticky that I have to take the gloves off to fit the forms.

I have just started wearing gloves for services and was wondering if anyone else who does, has worked out a way to apply disposable forms for enhancements with gloves on - they are just so sticky that I have to take the gloves off to fit the forms.
Do you wear gloves for a medical reason?

I couldn't work in gloves, and there is absolutely no need to unless you are allergic to something in the products you are working with.

Forms have to be sticky! I'm not sure what the problem is with applying them without gloves on? Perhaps explain a little more?

Hi, I think gloves are only to be worn when doing cuticle work :)

I wouldn't ever wear gloves for nails, unless you are allergic?!
I only wear gloves for tans and waxing! I wouldn't be able to work with gloves on doing nails!
Also your client will wonder why you are wearing them? "is the product dangerous" etc?!

X

Hi, I think gloves are only to be worn when doing cuticle work :)

Why would you wear gloves to do cuticle work? I've never heard of this before?! Lol x

I don't think gloves need or should be worn at any time including for cuticle work. We are not performing surgery!

I always sanitise my and my clients hands before we start the service. All this clinical stuff is way over the top and in my opinion gives out all the wrong signals.

You can make a ceremony of sanitising the clients hands and get your point across that you are different to NNS or other salons but sheesh! We don't have to look like surgeons or like we are afraid to touch people or are afraid to handle what are perfectly safe products.

We need to be clean, tidy, sanitary, meticulous, caring and considerate and clients will see that you are conscientious without going so way over the top by trying to appear as if what we are doing is brain surgery.

I wear gloves when working with gels to reduce contact as it irritates my skin. But no i wouldn't wear then for anythng else.

My friend wears gloves when performing pedicures as she has 'a thing' about feet. It looks awful though and i'm sure the clients may feel abit offended that she won't touch thier bare feet! Personally i think she may be in the wrong proffession if she can't stand feet lol

Why would you wear gloves to do cuticle work? I've never heard of this before?! Lol x

Colleges require you to wear gloves when doing cuticle work. I completed my course just recently - so I guess this is a Habia/City & Guilds requirement! lol
I don't wear gloves though as I find them irritating. The only time I do wear them is when waxing

I wear gloves for nail prep as I'm sensitive to the products, but I take them off for nail application. I do wear them for shellac too, but only on my right hand, again in case of overexposure. I know you might think I'm daft but it works for me.

Like Geeg I don't like the surgical look of putting things on people that we are scared to touch ,
I never really saw it in England but when I came here to Germany I was shocked to see techs wearing gloves and masks with there tunics and over sized E-files they do look like surgeons (or worse still dentists lol )

The sad thing is most of the techs here that I have met that wear all this are the ones who don't clean , one salon that I was going to work at I watched a tech with her chair full all day one after another nipping each with same set of nippers not cleaned in between and then put into the draw at home time ,
The desk was also not sanitized ect

So in reality what wear the gloves for? Her or the client?

To protect her from overexposure because she works in a mess !

Sure any of us could build a reaction but if you use great products that are hypoallergenic , practice good house keeping , and don't put your fingers in your products then there is no reason to ,

As for pedicures I do soo many of them right now back to back somedays that my hands are beautifully exfoliated lol it's probaly the only manual job you can work really hard at and NOT get calloused hands lol

Funny enough ( maybe just here in Germany ) alot of clients seem to like it that gloves are worn .... When you ask why? They have no answer lol

To answer Geeg at the top - No, it is not for any medical reason. I had only recently decided to wear gloves as *some* clients had remarked this seemed more hygienic. I love everybody's comments here, and I do agree with you and will rethink the wearing of gloves.
I was not trained (CND) to wear them initially and I guess I let my clients guide me against my better instinct. Thank you all :)

Ive a feeling that eventually you will have to be level 3 qualified to be able to use cuticle nippers and anything else that can potentially cut the skin and draw blood.

I think all these regulations we are seeing are the damage done from the NSS and bad training from all the numerous short courses being run by people with little knowledge themselves.

Of course hygiene is extremely important but look at the way health and safety has damaged other industries in this country to a ridiculous degree its only a matter of time before they come to our door in a big way.

I can see our insurances sky rocket in the near future as people claim for more and more from a bit of skin taken off an eyebrow to an accidently cut cuticle.

Ive a feeling that eventually you will have to be level 3 qualified to be able to use cuticle nippers and anything else that can potentially cut the skin and draw blood.

I think all these regulations we are seeing are the damage done from the NSS and bad training from all the numerous short courses being run by people with little knowledge themselves.

Of course hygiene is extremely important but look at the way health and safety has damaged other industries in this country to a ridiculous degree its only a matter of time before they come to our door in a big way.

I can see our insurances sky rocket in the near future as people claim for more and more from a bit of skin taken off an eyebrow to an accidently cut cuticle.

When I qualified in my nvq 2 we qualified doing manicures with cuticle nippers (but that was a few yrs back)
If therapists wear gloves because they "might" make the client bleed...then should they really be using cuticle nippers or doing manicures at all!! Worried lol!

You have very good points in health and safety! As long as you stick to your local by laws and insurance laws (outlines/guidelines) then you will be fine ; )) x

I've just finished a level 2 and we were taught to use cuticle nippers aswell, gloves were not mentioned once and to ve honest i didn't even think about wearing them for cuticle work

I don't stick my fingers in the product but no matter how tight i screw up the gel pots some always managed to leak out lol why is that! Thats why i wear gloves occasionally for gel.

I only wear gloves when using liquid and powder as i have excema and the products are irritant to my skin. They are too much of a nuisance when applying tips or doing cuticle work.

What about waxing, tweezing etc??
I'm level 2 and was taught to wear gloves whilst doing cuticle work.
I don't think the guidelines are there because the world's gone H&S mad. I guess whilst your a student and using tools then you need to be extra cautious - I don't think accidentally nipping someone means you're a bad therapist either, what if the client sneezes or has a fit? Accidents can happen.
For the record I don't wear them because they're not very comfortable

What about waxing, tweezing etc??
I'm level 2 and was taught to wear gloves whilst doing cuticle work.
I don't think the guidelines are there because the world's gone H&S mad. I guess whilst your a student and using tools then you need to be extra cautious - I don't think accidentally nipping someone means you're a bad therapist either, what if the client sneezes or has a fit? Accidents can happen.
For the record I don't wear them because they're not very comfortable

It is very easy to nip people I have done it in the past! But I mean that therapists shouldn't wear gloves because they make people bleed alot?! If they wear gloves because of this they prob shouldn't use nippers but other cuticle tool that won't make people bleed, sorry that was my point!
X

I have just bought some disposable gloves so i can wear them when removing shellac. i am very messy and keep destroying my own when putting the d-solve on the wraps. Just find it easier as i want my own nails to stay looking good.I take them off immediately after removal though.

I have just bought some disposable gloves so i can wear them when removing shellac. i am very messy and keep destroying my own when putting the d-solve on the wraps. Just find it easier as i want my own nails to stay looking good.I take them off immediately after removal though.

This is what I do and only wear them to remove shellac incase any d.solves gets onto my nails (as sometimes I can be a bit messy!) and I do tell my clients why I'm wearing them :)

As soon as the shellac is off, like Karen, the gloves are off too :)

Jo x

I wear one glove on my filing hand for infills and french rebalances only. I started wearing them after 8 months of working and the filing during a rebalance would make my fingers sore, then would bleed after a long day. Another tech told me that my hand would eventually get used to it and that my skin will toughen up but i got fed up with it and the nail tech wraps were getting expensive!

I have gotten used to applying the odd form during a rebalance for a repair wearing one glove, but i don't sculpt new sets. And i don't need the glove for new sets has im only refining the finished surface. I dont think i would beable to tip using gloves!

When clients ask why im wearing a glove? I tell them its for my own personal vanity! :D It also stops premiture chipping of my own polish on those fingers too.

Latest posts

Back