Technique for bitten nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanessaB

Reaction score
Hi, yes I've seen it. Have you seen Young Nails one? I prefer it as product is not applied directly to the skin.

Its interesting but I wasn't sure about all the draining of the monomer whist the bead was on the brush?

Havent seen the Youngs one either. Ill have a Google! x

Just been looking at her other vids and she preps the natural nail with a 180 grit file. Thats not good is it?

Yes, this video has been discussed on SG a few times now.
Gemma is a member here and as I have said before, it would be great if she could pop in and explain why she uses this technique of putting product directly on the skin.

This technique can be used in the exact same way but is all you have to do is lay down a bit of tape that has had the sticky removed by putting on the back of your hand a few times and taking it off again and this removes the sticky from the tape or the sticky dot from your forms and this will avoid any product contact with the skin.

Many techs remove fluid out of the brush while the bead is on the brush, it ensures a crisper white or color but it does put more vapors (smell) in the air, so I personally do not use this method to ensure I reduce vapor (smell) in the air in my salon as much as possible.
The more times you wipe your brush, the more vapors in the air and more stinky your salon will be:)

Thanks for explaining! I'd never seen it done like this before and have never been taught to drain the fluid in this way.

Sorry if its been discussed before too! I loved the nails that Gemma has done especially the nail art but was concerned about a couple of the practises. Different training from different providers I guess! Useful information though x

Following up on what Wooshka said, all that wiping of your brush...besides the odor it puts out in the air...it's murder on your brush.

If you're someone who invests in a good quality/high end brush, all the wiping will end up costing you a small fortune in brush replacement.

Good thinking gr8nailz, I didn't think to mention this and it's sooooo true.

Our brush is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) investment we should make, quality tools equals quality work.

I have seen some techs wipe their brush like they are wiping away a thick layer of paint on a normal paint brush and it makes me cringe.

VanessaB, yes it does boil down to different training by different brands/companies but can I say (and maybe this comes with a bit of experience, I don't really know for sure) but if you see a technique like the one Gemma uses and you personally don't like how a part of it is done but you like most of it, then think outside your box and think 'how can I change this up to suit me and the result I want to achieve" and you might be surprised at what you can come up with.
As soon as I saw this video ages ago by Gemma, I too was not overly excited about product touching the skin, so I straight away thought of how this can be avoided by still use the same technique and my thoughts are what I wrote above.
Yes I totally agree, most of us were/are taught that product should not touch the skin and for most, this is a rule we do abide by in the long term safety of our clients and ourselves.

Just remember, just cause someone else jumps off the cliff, doesn't mean you have to:)

I love the look of the finished nail. very natual. Thanks for the video

Latest posts

Back