Teenagers and nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sueelaine

Reaction score
I'm not sure if i'm posting this in the right place, but I need to get this off my chest as it's been bugging me all day at work.
My boyfriend's sister asked me to do her nails before she went to visit her mum for a week in southampton. Of course I said yes and gave her a set of gel extensions. She came back last night and I got a text from my boyfriend this morning saying that she says all her nails have 'broken off'. ALL of them.
Now this has happened once before. I did her nails and within a day she was saying two or three had come off. I chalked this up to experience as I had just started out and I apologised. Bearing in mind this girl is 15 and her boyfriend is 16, a little while after this he commented that I obviously didn't know what I was talking about and booked her in to be 'pampered' at an express nail bar to get acrylics. Her acrylics lasted the full two weeks and that's when she came to me, instead of a rebalance she wanted them removed and gels done. No wonder the acrylics lasted so long, they were thick and bulky and took forever and a day to finally remove. I know that they'll go around trashing my name to all their friends again like they did last time now.
This is what I don't understand however. I do my own nails (gels) and work in a store where all day i'm lifting boxes and sorting through stock, I've never had even a chip. I also do my mum's nails. She has extreme onychopagy in both thumbs and works as a childminder spending all day every day with around 8 three year old kids as well as doing general housekeeping. Her nails also are as good as new. His sister has also added pictures of her week online and all the nails are there, still attached to her fingers miraculously.
I just needed to rant about this cause I've felt useless all day. I don't know what she wants, is a 15 year old having me on? :eek:

Maybe the gel you are using just doesn't agree with her nails? Even though this is a far fetched possibility. Is she a nail biter? If she is and the gel u put on her is not really thick and hard she could be actually biting it off, i have seen this happen before :eek:

Did you charge her full price? I ask this because on a few occasions I have done my nieces nails for free (she is 17), and everytime she has lost them within a week, she admits to biting them off :eek: The last time she asked me to do them for her I said no due to her not taking care of them and that she was harming her natural nail everytime she bit them off.

So she went and had them done at a salon and paid £35, and guess what 2 weeks later there still on and doing fine.

So basically if they pay full price for the nails, they look after them. Offer them for free and its easy come easy go.

I think this is the case for alot of teenagers unfortunately.

I've considered about the gel, I know that some people's nails just don't work with gels full stop.. I don't think she bites, I've never seen her bite her nails before and her nails pre-extensions were nice.
I must admit I have thought that she could be taking my generosity for a bit of a ride. I charge her the cost of materials plus a little bit for my time. When I'm at their house doing nails I don't feel like i'm working cause she's a friend and I'm there with my boyfriend and his family etc etc. I haven't seen them yet and I don't know when I'll get a chance to, next time if she asks i'll probably just say no because I don't want this harming my reputation any more and she'll constantly expect them at a reduced price cause of her connection to me. Ah well, just needed to share that it's been making me feel bad all day!

If you haven't found anything "bad" that you did while doing her nails then it is not your fault and you should not feel bad, it is not your fault if her nails do not agree with gel and still not your fault is she did something to them. She shouldn't be making you feel bad especially when you are doing it for such a reduced priced. I would not do her nails again if I were you.

Entirely agree! Thanks for your support

Latest posts

Back