Teeth whitening business help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllWhite1

Reaction score
Okay so I'm starting a mobile teething whitening business. I am fully aware I need to get licensed and insured.

I just want to know what are the BEST products (gels) to use?! Ones that work, affordable, contain 0% peroxide?

Please help
Thanks x

Are you a certified dentist? If not it is illegal to carry out any teeth whitening regardless if uses peroxide or not.

Okay so I'm starting a mobile teething whitening business. I am fully aware I need to get licensed and insured.

I just want to know what are the BEST products (gels) to use?! Ones that work, affordable, contain 0% peroxide?

Please help

Thanks x

I would strongly advise you to read all of the threads on here re teeth whitening and the issues surrounding legalities before you waste money on training.

It's a criminal offence to offer dental services unless you are a qualified dental professional, in which case, you'd know what products to use.

Seriously, don't do it!

Oh god you're going to be torn apart on here.
Like the others said its illegal to provide teeth whitening when you're not a dentist. Regardless of what the poachers at the teeth whitening companies say.

Save your money and time and energy.
Unfortunately some "training" companies are quite clever at duping therapists into believing that 0% peroxide or self whitening is legal and safe, but it really isn't. You can't even allow the client to "borrow" a lamp and purchase trays and gel to use at home. It's probably best if you invest in something else that will not get you fined, that clients will love and be safe having carried out on them.

I read that laser teeth whitening was totally legal! So is that wrong Nd is that illegal too??? Sorry just i was looking into it myself a while ago and was lead to believe it was only using peroxides etc :( i decided against doing it in the end im just curious as sooooo many people offer it x

I know it's illegal but still don't get why so many get away with it... Seriously every second person on my facebook offers it and when I tell my clients they are like hmmm are you sure it's illegal so and so does it down the road and is so busy all the time....

Hi there we offer an insurance scheme and we do not offer cover for teeth whitening as we understand the legal issues behind it so would also recommend not going that route

Whenever I see beauty therapists offering tooth whitening I report them to the GDC.

My understanding is that it is illegal to offer any form of treatment to teeth unless you are a dentist. Peroxide, non peroxide, laser what ever. I'm sure I saw an article on it.

It's that fact that dentists by law are the only ones allowed to carry out such a procedure on people's teeth.

There is a similar thing in acupuncture. I can treat people, but not animals as vets are the only people legally allowed to treat animals.
I have treated animals with acupuncture in the past, but only under the direction of a vet.

Please help
Thanks x

You will also need to do a minimum of a years training as a dental technician which costs about 1,000 pounds or you can earn whilst you learn to be able to practice as teeth whitening.

You will also need to do a minimum of a years training as a dental technician which costs about 1,000 pounds or you can earn whilst you learn to be able to practice as teeth whitening.

A dental technician is a dental professional who works in a dental lab to create prosthetic appliances such as crowns, bridges and implants for dental patients. This qualification is gained after many years of training and further specific training is required if a dental technician wishes to whiten teeth. Once qualified dental technicians can only provide teeth whitening on the prescription from a qualified and GDC registered dentist......

Can you see where I'm going with this?

*bangs head against wall*

A dental technician is a dental professional who works in a dental lab to create prosthetic appliances such as crowns, bridges and implants for dental patients. This qualification is gained after many years of training and further specific training is required if a dental technician wishes to whiten teeth. Once qualified dental technicians can only provide teeth whitening on the prescription from a qualified and GDC registered dentist......

Can you see where I'm going with this?

*bangs head against wall*

A dental technician or dental hygienist can take many routes not all taking the 5 years required to be a dentist. From a BTEC to a degree as long as you are GDC registered.
a Pearson BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma - for this you will often need four GCSEs (A-C) in English language, maths and a science can be done in year
a foundation degree – you will usually need to be employed in a trainee dental technician role to get on this course

There are many routes to become one some longer than others but most if NOT all NO longer than 3 years. You work whilst you learn and as teeth whitening is nowhere near an advanced dental procedure. Although, the first use of each cycle can be carried out by dental hygienists, therapists or clinical dental technicians under the direct access of a dentist (that is, with a dentist on the premises) , the products after can be provided to the patient to complete the cycle of use.

I.e rent a room within a dentist clinic building client base and clients only need to come once with a dentist present for you to do continual treatments.They could also administer fillers this way.

Do you see what I am getting at... *bangs head against wall*

botox,fillers, teeth whitening is hard to regulate A LOT of the time the people who you believe have trained for years have not. My sister is a Doctor who does botox, fillers and NOT all people are as well trained as you think.

A dental technician or dental hygienist can take many routes not all taking the 5 years required to be a dentist. From a BTEC to a degree as long as you are GDC registered.

a Pearson BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma - for this you will often need four GCSEs (A-C) in English language, maths and a science can be done in year

a foundation degree – you will usually need to be employed in a trainee dental technician role to get on this course

There are many routes to become one some longer than others but most if NOT all NO longer than 3 years. You work whilst you learn and as teeth whitening is nowhere near an advanced dental procedure. Although, the first use of each cycle can be carried out by dental hygienists, therapists or clinical dental technicians under the direct access of a dentist (that is, with a dentist on the premises) , the products after can be provided to the patient to complete the cycle of use.

I.e rent a room within a dentist clinic building client base and clients only need to come once with a dentist present for you to do continual treatments.They could also administer fillers this way.

Do you see what I am getting at... *bangs head against wall*

botox,fillers, teeth whitening is hard to regulate A LOT of the time the people who you believe have trained for years have not. My sister is a Doctor who does botox, fillers and NOT all people are as well trained as you think.

Ok, maybe my post wasn't clear or you've taken it the wrong way.

My irritation was toward the title of 'Dental Technician' being used incorrectly.

I have a dental background of many years and happily support facial aesthetics and teeth whitening carried out safely and by adequately trained medical and dental professionals.

Ok, maybe my post wasn't clear or you've taken it the wrong way.

My irritation was toward the title of 'Dental Technician' being used incorrectly.

I have a dental background of many years and happily support facial aesthetics and teeth whitening carried out safely and by adequately trained medical and dental professionals.

A person who does Pearson BTEC in dental technology at a college part time over 18 months can still be GDC registered as a a dental technician.
It would be like me saying a person who studied CIDESCO is more a beautician than someone who did a VRQ. Or someone doing fast track NVQ beauty therapy in a matter of months WILL not be able to perform and learn more complex treatments such as IPL which is dangerous also.
Both are recognised qualifications within industry which allow you to work. The length of time or the level you believe a qualification does not effect future additional skills learnt.

Furthermore what you 'happily support' is irrelevant, it is what is legal and GDC approved. For example medical professionals such as doctors CANNOT carry out teeth whitening. Within being legal and GDC approved there are too many grey areas.

For example the legality of LED teeth whitening with no-peroxide used only released.Many places have started this. GDC defines teeth whitening as anything that cosmetic enhances teeth but the NHS and government says peroxide is used.....

Yep don't waste your money - I did 8 years ago many thousands of pounds (yes in the tens!) out of pocket and that was BEFORE the GDC got their way to have it ruled a dental treatment not cosmetic. I really have no idea how salons are getting away with still offering this treatment! DO NOT LISTEN TO THE COMPANIES SELLING IT!

A person who does Pearson BTEC in dental technology at a college part time over 18 months can still be GDC registered as a a dental technician.

It would be like me saying a person who studied CIDESCO is more a beautician than someone who did a VRQ. Or someone doing fast track NVQ beauty therapy in a matter of months WILL not be able to perform and learn more complex treatments such as IPL which is dangerous also.

Both are recognised qualifications within industry which allow you to work. The length of time or the level you believe a qualification does not effect future additional skills learnt.

Furthermore what you 'happily support' is irrelevant, it is what is legal and GDC approved. For example medical professionals such as doctors CANNOT carry out teeth whitening. Within being legal and GDC approved there are too many grey areas.

For example the legality of LED teeth whitening with no-peroxide used only released.Many places have started this. GDC defines teeth whitening as anything that cosmetic enhances teeth but the NHS and government says peroxide is used.....

Woah! Chill your beans a little. I'm not here for an argument.

It seems we are singing from the same hymn sheet, but you're not hearing my voice..?

I am pro GDC approved teeth whitening and I'm going to leave it there as we're hijacking this thread.

Hope you have a nice day :)

Curiously, the OP has been absent from the site since posting this thread :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back