Teeth whitening course?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm New on here and I had an opinion didn't want to be pounced on by loads of members like bullies in a playground. Not very impressed with salaongeek and the amount of rude people with unessasary attitudes :/ aren't we all professionals?

I'm New on here and I had an opinion didn't want to be pounced on by loads of members like bullies in a playground. Not very impressed with salaongeek and the amount of rude people with unessasary attitudes :/ aren't we all professionals?

It's because the site is populated by professionals that you have had so many replies about the legalities of teeth whitening. What professional would want to turn a blind eye to an act that brings the reputation of their profession into disrepute?!

I don't see how telling you that you're potentially doing something that is unwise at best, illegal in some cases, is bullying. Just because you don't like what you're being told doesn't mean you're being bullied.

You are however being rude to people who have offered you advice, provided link and facts.

If you're so interested in teeth why don't you train in dentistry?

I am, I start in January ☺

I posted a comment to a member's question. It was not a rude comment in anyway but I was then bombarded with rude and sarcastic comments towards me from other members, because of my opinion towards laser teeth whitening. There is a difference between giving someone advice and being rude and sarcastic and no one has give me a nice approach. Not impressed with salon geek.

[merged posts]

Last edited by a moderator:
My local sun bed shop sells teeth whitening gel that's activated under UV so you whiten your teeth while getting your tan on lol.

LOL! that made me laugh! I heard of a sunbed shop selling tanning injections as well ! There are no shortcuts in the hair and beauty industry, it always tends to come back to bite you in the bum lol good luck with your dentistry course its good you have decided to do it the proper way! I hope it all works out for you in your career! x

Tanning injections i dont know how anyone can inject themselves with a chemical thats hasnt been researched to gain a tab Thankyou Jasmine. I'm really looking forward to it. X

If it was really this much ILLEGAL then surely every site online would be shutdown wouldn't it ? You don't see courses online on how make and sell street drugs do you because it's ILLEGAL! Clairegrahambeauty have a look at Hollywood teeth whitening...AW3 laser company they seem good!

Both the company and beauticians using it have been prosecuted and have fines and criminal records eg http://www.gdc-uk.org/Newsandpublic...DC-prosecutes-Southampton-tooth-whitener.aspx

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/tooth-whitener-had-100-times-leg-a70464/

There are many others if you google. The BBC X Ray programme even did an expose on them http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/x-ray/2010/05/teeth-whitening-booths.shtml

This company has traded under various names and several beauticians have been prosecuted using their products/training.

I have spoken to my local council about this and my insurance company and you can carry out teeth whitening treatments if your not a dental nurse but you can't use any products that contain peroxide. That's when it becomes illegal.

I bought a teeth whitening package back in September last year from Naturawhite so my advise would be to NOT use them as they are shit and don't have good customer service. I've asked for a refund on their lamp as it was rubbish and 7 months on I'm still fighting them for it!

Speak to your local council about it and see where they stand. Also speak to your insurance company xx

The gdc says that applying materials and carrying out procedures designed to improve the aesthetic appearance of teeth amounts to the act of dentistry...confirmed by the high court...
Just what iv read on the gdc website x

Ok thanks, I'm only going by what my council said when I asked them and thought I'd help this lady out who wanted some answers. Don't want to offend anyone

I have spoken to my local council about this and my insurance company and you can carry out teeth whitening treatments if your not a dental nurse but you can't use any products that contain peroxide. That's when it becomes illegal.
Speak to your local council about it and see where they stand. Also speak to your insurance company xx

Sadly, I'm not surprised you were given misleading information. As far as your local council or insurance company are concerned, they don't have an issue with it. So, it's pointless asking them for advice.

That's because it's not the council or insurance companies who are prosecuting the beauty therapists but the General Dental Council who are prosecuting people directly.

Just to clarify as you were misinformed, the illegal part has nothing whatsoever to do with the product you are using and the active ingredients. That's part of the lies that companies like Naturawhite constantly tell people.

It's entirely to do with the act of teeth whitening being classed as a preserve of the Dentistry profession and therefore, liable to a criminal prosecution. In effect, not much different to being charged with theft or GBH.

This only applies in the UK. Other countries have different rules.

I know I was conned which is why it's taken me 7 months to chase them for a refund. That's why I have stock to sell. Also that's why I'm not doing it anymore. I've also advised the person at the top of the thread to not go with Naturawhite as they are rubbish.

I just wasn't sure what part of the U.K. She was from so thought I would tell her what I had been told. I'm chasing for a refund as they miss sold me something that I can't use its taken me 7 months and still no refund. Your comments will really help go towards my case with them do you mind me using your comments...x

I in no way know anything much about teeth whitening/dentistry (I just go to the dentist and trust my dentist) but I was at the dentist Friday just gone, and they have a poster on the wall about teeth whitening, specifically stating it should only be done by a qualified dentist, as they can check for any problem with your teeth first to prevent any problems or something a long them lines (in more technical dental terms)

I know I was conned which is why it's taken me 7 months to chase them for a refund. That's why I have stock to sell. Also that's why I'm not doing it anymore. I've also advised the person at the top of the thread to not go with Naturawhite as they are rubbish.

I just wasn't sure what part of the U.K. She was from so thought I would tell her what I had been told. I'm chasing for a refund as they miss sold me something that I can't use its taken me 7 months and still no refund. Your comments will really help go towards my case with them do you mind me using your comments...x

You want to get in contact with Caroline Sumpter who has successfully sued for her money back from a tooth whitening company and has helped others to do so https://www.dentalhealth.org/news/details/817

She posts on salongeek and on Facebook pages.

Naturawhite employed fake dentists one of whom was prosecuted http://www.gdc-uk.org/Newsandpublic...ice-costs-unregistered-dentist-thousands.aspx. They used fake GDC numbers and photos on the naturawhite website.

Also beauticians using naturawhite have been prosecuted http://www.gdc-uk.org/Newsandpublic...ilty-of-offering-illegal-tooth-whitening.aspx

Read right through and still waiting to find the rude posts.

Something isn't rude because it's not what you want to hear.

As for salon geek, you absolutely will not find a better site populated by true professionals who tell it as it is (whether it's what you hoped to read or not) and have a wealth of experience second to none.

Hi ladies. Can see getting heated on here x just wanted to give my view x where I live a salon was prosecuted for offering teeth whitening she was doing the service with peroxide. However a salon can Legally offer teeth whitening but only as a self service and only a 15 minute procedure and not using peroxide it is classed as a cosmetic procedure.if you offer peroxide teeth whitening and administer it as a technition you are offering dentistry that is illegal.

Also if in doubt the best thing to do is contact your local regulatory office they will give you guidence

Hi ladies. Can see getting heated on here x just wanted to give my view x where I live a salon was prosecuted for offering teeth whitening she was doing the service with peroxide. However a salon can Legally offer teeth whitening but only as a self service and only a 15 minute procedure and not using peroxide it is classed as a cosmetic procedure.if you offer peroxide teeth whitening and administer it as a technition you are offering dentistry that is illegal.
The previous posts are from 2016 so a lot has changed with regulations since then.

Also if in doubt the best thing to do is contact your local regulatory office they will give you guidence

Why do you think that? Local councils have no jurisdiction, only the courts do.

Unfortunately, you’re still mistaken.

It’s got nothing to do with what substances are used or for how long. That’s just another big fat lie told by the teeth whitening companies trying to make a quick buck.

Any procedure that uses the phrase ‘teeth whitening’ has been legally determined to be the preserve of the dental profession. No ifs or buts.

Latest posts

Back