Teeth whitening course?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was approached a couple of years ago by a guy who wanted to "train me up" (over Skype!) so I could start doing teeth whitening. He has beauticians hosting teeth whitening parties for him and he takes a % of the profits (!?!) At the time I didn't know anything about it (and certainly didn't know it was illegal !) but when I looked into it I was horrified at the prospect of me being let loose on someone's teeth with a load of chemicals. It's kind of up there with me starting to offer Botox parties after a quick demo via You Tube. This guy is still going strong in the UK and has no shortage of customers ready & willing to pay (very little) for sparkly white teeth. No thanks! x

You know what's funny? You can just buy a 6% gel off Amazon/eBay and some cheap tooth trays to get the same results as a dentist. Plus White 5 minute whitening, once a day for up to a month and voila. Takes a little longer but does the trick. Teeth whitening is such a scam, I'm not on anyone's side. No such thing as safe teeth whitening, whoever does it.

My husband is a dentist and does not agree with whitening as end of day even the professional stuff he uses with a tray specifically made for your teeth still damages your teeth. He lets me do it with his eyes rolled lol but I do it once a year over a week and never had an issue. I am also anal as anything about flossing and brushing! Ps bright white teeth are not healthy teeth x

I just looked into this, having noticed one of the girls in Towie promoting a woman in Essex, who after contacting her tells me she charges £60 for a self-administered non-branded (eek!) treatment at her home. Googled the legal status, having read tips on here regarding the illegality of teeth whitening by non-dentists and it specifically states that a self-administered treatment does not circumvent the law. People have been successfully prosecuted for doing this so beware OP!

You know what's funny? You can just buy a 6% gel off Amazon/eBay and some cheap tooth trays to get the same results as a dentist. Plus White 5 minute whitening, once a day for up to a month and voila. Takes a little longer but does the trick. Teeth whitening is such a scam, I'm not on anyone's side. No such thing as safe teeth whitening, whoever does it.

You know what's really funny? It's utterly illegal to sell anything over 0.1% to the general public. So you can buy something from someone who is knowingly breaking the law. What chance that this chemical that is being put inside the body is not counterfeit and contains what it should? No wonder trading standards are cracking down http://www.tradingstandards.uk/extra/news-item.cfm/newsid/1878

The EU banned direct sales of these products because they carry health risks and their use needs to be monitored and restricted. Anyone using regularly and particularly if they smoke or drink is increasing their risk of oral cancer something that kills more people than breast and testicular cancer every year. It also kills more people every year than road accidents.

These whitening products are available off the shelf from most pharmacy stores in Ireland...!

You know what's really funny? It's utterly illegal to sell anything over 0.1% to the general public. So you can buy something from someone who is knowingly breaking the law. What chance that this chemical that is being put inside the body is not counterfeit and contains what it should? No wonder trading standards are cracking down http://www.tradingstandards.uk/extra/news-item.cfm/newsid/1878

The EU banned direct sales of these products because they carry health risks and their use needs to be monitored and restricted. Anyone using regularly and particularly if they smoke or drink is increasing their risk of oral cancer something that kills more people than breast and testicular cancer every year. It also kills more people every year than road accidents.

That's going a bit far, they trash your teeth. Peroxide mouthwash has much higher amounts and have been available for decades.The reason why the EU banned them is because dentists have ownership of any treatment that involves putting your fingers into someone's mouth. There was a grey area regarding giving someone their gel and trays rather than doing it themselves, and that's something the BDA successfully challenged. People ought to just stop doing it, including dentists imo.

That's going a bit far, they trash your teeth. Peroxide mouthwash has much higher amounts and have been available for decades.The reason why the EU banned them is because dentists have ownership of any treatment that involves putting your fingers into someone's mouth. There was a grey area regarding giving someone their gel and trays rather than doing it themselves, and that's something the BDA successfully challenged. People ought to just stop doing it, including dentists imo.

The European law is nothing to do with dentists or putting hands in someone's mouth. That is what the GDC prosecutes for (not the BDA) and it has always been illegal in the UK the first prosecutions were over a decade ago.

The European law is purely about the safety of hydrogen peroxide and indeed it was illegal for a few years for dentists to use above 0.1% . http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/opinions_layman/en/tooth-whiteners/index.htm

Trading standards prosecute over hydrogen peroxide, the GDC prosecute over the act of teeth whitening .

These whitening products are available off the shelf from most pharmacy stores in Ireland...!
Not with above 0.1% hydrogen peroxide. It's illegal in the whole of the EU.

The European law is nothing to do with dentists or putting hands in someone's mouth. That is what the GDC prosecutes for (not the BDA) and it has always been illegal in the UK the first prosecutions were over a decade ago.

The European law is purely about the safety of hydrogen peroxide and indeed it was illegal for a few years for dentists to use above 0.1% . http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/opinions_layman/en/tooth-whiteners/index.htm

Trading standards prosecute over hydrogen peroxide, the GDC prosecute over the act of teeth whitening .

Yes, GDC not BDA. I don't understand why you've posted that link, it's just a statement of findings from the committee who looked into it. I'm on the committee for beauty therapy standards and we were asked if we wanted to cover teeth whitening in cosmetic products (which of course we said no to). The GDC are able to prosecute because dentists have the monopoly over the majority of dental treatments, I don't know why you're saying otherwise. UK law always takes precedent over EU standards. And just because only 0.1% is allowed doesn't mean that's stopping it from being sold.

If it was really this much ILLEGAL then surely every site online would be shutdown wouldn't it ? You don't see courses online on how make and sell street drugs do you because it's ILLEGAL! Clairegrahambeauty have a look at Hollywood teeth whitening...AW3 laser company they seem good!

If it was really this much ILLEGAL then surely every site online would be shutdown wouldn't it ? You don't see courses online on how make and sell street drugs do you because it's ILLEGAL! Clairegrahambeauty have a look at Hollywood teeth whitening...AW3 laser company they seem good!

Did you actually READ and UNDERSTAND any of the links?

If so, I can only assume that you are desperately flogging teeth whitening products.
Otherwise, why would you make such a ridiculous statement linking teeth whitening to illegal drugs?

Ok, once more in very simple terms...

It's got nothing to do with purchasing teeth whitening products online.

The GDC are actively prosecuting beauty therapists/hairdressers etc. who sell teeth whitening products to the public by handing them the package. If your salon advertises teeth whitening treatments, takes their money and hands over the product to the client, it has been deemed by THE COURT to be 'unlawfully carrying on the business of dentistry'.

ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL! And if it's ILLEGAL then online companies would not be trading surely ? im stating a point, an example! iam not deseperatly flogging teeth whitening products. Just because I have an opinion does not mean you PRESUME I'm trying to 'flog' teeth whitening products. I just feel for people who are being prosecuted for performing this treatment when ALL sites should be shut down if this is the LAW then maybe people would not be misled!

ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL!
I just feel for people who are being prosecuted for performing this treatment when ALL sites should be shut down if this is the LAW then maybe people would not be misled!

Why?
If I want to buy the stuff online for my own use, that isn't illegal.

Look you have your opinion and I have mine.

Surely you must have something else better to do then want a useless disagreement on salaongeek?

I don't know why anyone bothers. Good luck with illegal teeth whitening x

My local sun bed shop sells teeth whitening gel that's activated under UV so you whiten your teeth while getting your tan on lol.

What i dont get is what if the client has plaque..do they just teeth whiten over it!
A lady who came to me a few weeks back for nails had her teeth done and the therapist had burned all her mouth and gums! Terrible x

Latest posts

Back