Teeth whitening - really confused

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What were they prosecuted for though? There's nothing illegal with the treatment?
We have all the correct insurance and certifications.

The problem for you is that General Dental Council is a wealthy organisation and can easily afford the high costs associated with prosecuting every case they want to pursue.

They have already successfully argued that providing this type of service in a salon staffed by non qualified dental practitioners is a breach of the current law.

Let's make this clear. This is CRIMINAL law not civil law.

If found guilty, you will have a criminal record.

Beauty therapists doing teeth whitening is the NSS of the dental world.

I really don't blame the GDC for wanting to stop it.

So well put!

It's a grey area ... Why would you risk your business and reputation on it?

They were prosecuted for "unlawfully practising dentistry contrary to section 38 (1) and (2) of the Dentists Act 1984, namely tooth whitening."

They were offering a "self administered, non peroxide" system as well.

The person given a £15000 fine last week only offers "self administered, non peroxide, cosmetic" whitening as well and he now has a criminal record. Here is his website where he states this:

Wirral Teeth Whitening - Wirral, West Kirby 0151 625 9422 | Caldy Clinic

No matter how you word it or what loop hole you try to use, you can be prosecuted if you offer an in salon service to whiten teeth.

What were they prosecuted for though? There's nothing illegal with the treatment?
We have all the correct insurance and certifications.

I hope this gets posted in the right place, am a bit unsure and just want to help all the other confused people.

I have just successfully sued xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for a full refund on my 'toothwhitening business package'.

The judge said that of the self administering process the ONLY part the client did was open the packet and put the tray in their own mouth.
The operator engaged in conversation, took payment, took a pre shade guide, took the client to a seat, instructed client to read the package and follow the instructions. The operator then provided protective laser goggles, places the light in front of the clients mouth and set the timer. When the laser had ceased the operator gives the client a paper bag to spit the mouth tray into and removes it and throws it away. Operator then takes the goggles and light away and does a post treatment shade guide. The judge stated that this is dentistry. He noted that I had been sent a letter from the General Dental Council telling me that the service I was providing was illegal. He also played great importance on the fact that I was shown what to do at a beauty show by a company representative, xxxxxxxx agreed that what I was shown was the correct process of providing their treatment. He noted the successful fine & conviction of xxxxxxxxxx who was using the same product.

I would like to add that the GDC are regulated by The Professional Standards Agency who are accountable to the Privy Council, so they are in fact a government body. Do not be fooled by people who say a letter from the GDC is an empty threat. IT IS NOT. I know first hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done Caroline you deserved justice and finally got it.

A lot of people in the beauty industry will have been effected by illegal teeth whitening training companies and more details can be found at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Illegal-teeth-whitening/833767073316259?fref=ts

I hope this gets posted in the right place, am a bit unsure and just want to help all the other confused people.

I have just successfully sued xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for a full refund on my 'toothwhitening business package'.

The judge said that of the self administering process the ONLY part the client did was open the packet and put the tray in their own mouth.
The operator engaged in conversation, took payment, took a pre shade guide, took the client to a seat, instructed client to read the package and follow the instructions. The operator then provided protective laser goggles, places the light in front of the clients mouth and set the timer. When the laser had ceased the operator gives the client a paper bag to spit the mouth tray into and removes it and throws it away. Operator then takes the goggles and light away and does a post treatment shade guide. The judge stated that this is dentistry. He noted that I had been sent a letter from the General Dental Council telling me that the service I was providing was illegal. He also played great importance on the fact that I was shown what to do at a beauty show by a company representative, xxxxxxxx agreed that what I was shown was the correct process of providing their treatment. He noted the successful fine & conviction of xxxxxxxxxx who was using the same product.

I would like to add that the GDC are regulated by The Professional Standards Agency who are accountable to the Privy Council, so they are in fact a government body. Do not be fooled by people who say a letter from the GDC is an empty threat. IT IS NOT. I know first hand.

Thanks to you for taking the time to share your experiences.

Too many people are fooled into buying these kits, and I'm so glad you got a refund.

Vicki x

Latest posts

Back