Teeth whitening seminar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynne Baker

Lynne The Skin!
Reaction score
Teeth Whitening Seminar Update

Some of you will know that I have long since held the view that teeth whitening should not be exhibited at beauty trade shows because it’s illegal for therapists to carry it out under the salon roof.

Mark Moloney (PB CEO) contacted me to ask why I wouldn’t exhibit with them again and I didn’t hold back (no surprise there!)
We had a long, courteous, and reasoned debate about the whole issue, and I was horrified to discover his almost total lack of knowledge surrounding the law on this.

I was also very surprised when he offered me a platform for my views by holding a seminar at the PB North show next weekend in Manchester.

My plan was to have Mark, myself, a rep from one of the insurance companies who won’t cover therapists, a rep from one of the teeth whitening companies, a therapist who had been prosecuted by the GDC, and the GDC themselves.

Many emails/phone calls/meetings later and it is with not a little despondency that I have to report that the seminar will not be going ahead. Here is what happened.

The GDC, the very organisation which prosecutes therapists, refused to attend, stating that they would not go head to head with the teeth whitening companies.

None of the prosecuted therapists wanted to relive their experiences, stating that they had systemically been lied to by the suppliers, who, in effect, hung them out to dry, and had been told that they had clearly not followed the instructions, and therefore they were on their own against the deeper pockets of the GDC.

I pressed the GDC for an answer but they were utterly intransigent. A dental surgeon friend of mine put me in touch with a board member of the British Dental Association. He was delighted to attend, but he wanted £500 to do so. PB wouldn’t pay.

Mark suggested that he chair a seminar between myself and Bryan Christie from Megawhite, completely missing the point that he (Mark Moloney) is the one who allows teeth whitening to go on at his shows.

None of the insurance companies agreed to attend.

So, my industry colleagues, friends, supporters and detractors alike, I have failed.

I have failed to bring this illegal practice issue to a wider (but still relevant) audience.

I have failed to play my part in reducing the risk to our paying clients.

I have failed to reduce the number of unwitting therapists who will be lied to by the suppliers, and who will undoubtedly lose money, and, more importantly, run the risk of prosecution, large fines, and adverse publicity.

And for all that I am truly sorry.

Lynne, you have nothing to be sorry for. The failure wasn't your shortcomings but more so all the others. Especially the GDC. I'm truly surprised they didn't want to attend but then again, they make money taking therapists to court and Mark makes money from the teeth whitening stands. It's all about the money, unfortunately.

Realistically I can't imagine tooo many other people are fighting over that stand space at the ridiculous prices they charge so they probably really need their custom.

You done everything you could, keep your chin up, I applaud you.

The GDC makes not a penny from prosecutions. The fines go straight to the Exchequer to offset the costs of running the courts.

You’ve done really well to raise the profile of illegal teeth whitening, for that alone you should feel proud.
Apparently, a county court ordered Megawhite to refund the training costs for one therapist but it would be good to see them put out of business altogether.
Will BABTAC get more involved?

Latest posts

Back