Teeth whitening?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bimbogeri

Reaction score
I just wondered if anyone had had any good results or experiences from the various home teeth whitening kits on the market?
I've always been a bit dubious about them, but I've said that if I ever got rich the first thing I'd have is my teeth whitened (they're not actually that bad, I just fancy a dazzlin' hollywood smile :D ), and now I'm going to be 'on show' all the time as a part of the beauty industry I want to look my best.

Thing is, there are so many kits on the market, some with money back guarantees, and all claiming to whiten your teeth, I just don't know which, if any, I should try. I've seen that 'Clever White' which claims to lighten your teeth in 5 days, but the pack literally only has 5 day supply, which seems a bit ambitious to me! There's also that Rapid White stick which claims it only takes 30 seconds to apply.
I clean my teeth 2-3 times a day and use moutwash, I'd just like a brighter smile without paying £1000s for it!

Anyone got any feedback?
xx

i don't rekon any of the 'home' kits work...it's a bit like our professional nail products only available to us professionals vs boots diy acrylic kits and home perm kits vs what your hairdresser uses - never going to be the same - just think of all those people suing if the ingredients were as 'powerful' as what the professionals use.
They say some of the tooth whitening pastes just actually make the gums darker to give the appearance of whiter teeth...
The only thing i have found for whiter teeth (and straighter!) was my veneers! Expensive! Also the philips sonicare range of toothbrushes are really good (i've got one) and they claim to really clean your teeth well...but they do say a naturally really white tooth isn't so strong....

Hi Lauren
If you are going to Excel (Professional Beauty Exibition) this year, you are bound to find a stand which does teeth whitening. My friend had hers done at the September 2004 exibition. We did see results, but I cannot remember what the company was called. Sorry! The normal price for a 20 minute service was around £80 and we got it at the show for around £20. Best to check out what's on offer at the exibition.

hi lol,

The home bleaching kits do not work as they don't contain enough carbamide peroxide in them,to get the amount that's needed for it to work has to be administered by a dentist which do give good results, but are costly starting at £150 per arch (upper and lowers)

the sonicare is a fab tooth brush, deffinately worth investing in one of these good for stain removal, think boots are giving an offer of 1000 free points when purchased. had mine for years - no fillings!!

Pen xxx

Thanks guys.
Guess if I'd had my brain on I would have worked out the pro vs home kit analogy myself.. blame staring at the screen for too long trying to get my website to work :D
Hopefully I'm still going to ExCel, have registered but am now trying to work out money, so I will deffo have a look there. Otherwise it'll have to go back on my 'list for when I am rich' :lol:

It's worth thinking about how what you eat discolours teeth.....

I recently had ceramic braces which had tiny clear elastic bands around each tooth fixing. I had to be careful about what I ate otherwise the elastic bands absorbed the colour and tended to go yellow - nice! I had to avoid red wine and curry (especially anything with Turmeric in it), I don't drink Tea or Coffee anyway but was advised to reduce intake of these too.

When my braces came off my teeth were really white, it didn't last though - had to make up for being deprived of curry for 18 months LOL! Just goes to show what a difference it makes.

I am in the dental trade and supply my dentists with bleaching kits, bleaching trays and most importantly dental grade Beaching gel.

Many D.I.Y. bleaching kits claim to have a very high bleach content, some supposedly up to 35%. From experience some of my clients feel slight tingling with 10% TRUE dental grade bleach (Carbamide Peroxide) and nearly all clients experience tooth sensitivity with 17%, though this feeling disappears after a couple of days.

I do not believe that anyone could endure the sensitivity caused by anything much above 17-20% TRUE dental Grade.

I have tested DIY kits and they all caused no sensitivity (which indicated little active ingredients) and had little if no effect on tooth shade.

The bleaching gel I sell costs £19.99 for 2.4ml, The DIY company’s sell 30ml for the same price, but mine works…….WHY?........because it is TRUE dental grade. You will never get a good result from the high street.

Don’t waste your money

Herman said:
I am in the dental trade and supply my dentists with bleaching kits, bleaching trays and most importantly dental grade Beaching gel.

Many D.I.Y. bleaching kits claim to have a very high bleach content, some supposedly up to 35%. From experience some of my clients feel slight tingling with 10% TRUE dental grade bleach (Carbamide Peroxide) and nearly all clients experience tooth sensitivity with 17%, though this feeling disappears after a couple of days.

I do not believe that anyone could endure the sensitivity caused by anything much above 17-20% TRUE dental Grade.

I have tested DIY kits and they all caused no sensitivity (which indicated little active ingredients) and had little if no effect on tooth shade.

The bleaching gel I sell costs £19.99 for 2.4ml, The DIY company’s sell 30ml for the same price, but mine works…….WHY?........because it is TRUE dental grade. You will never get a good result from the high street.

Don’t waste your money
this really interests me as i was pondering getting a tooth whitening kit, yet i am sceptical at high street kits but couldnt afford the dentist fee's.
how would i get hold of your kit and how does it work
you may be the answer to my prayers as my teeth are in good nick and not stained but are naturally NOT white..........so would it work on me.
oh i hope you have the answer herman :D

Yes, Yes, share this info!

Cathy

Hiya

Just wanted to add, i have been the guini pig (prob spelt that wrong, but it is early LOL) for Herman and his Teeth Whiteneing Experiments, the higher grade left my gums a little sensitive for a day, but i do have sensitive teeth anyway!!!! I cant remember what grade the other was, but it was fab, my freind who drinks tea like its going out of fashion has also tried it!!! Now she has alot of staining from tea and her teeth looked brill!!!

I'm sure Herman will give you more advise!!!!!! (i'll make him LOL)

Amanda

Sadly the kit requires the services of a dental laboratory (which is ME) and some one to take your dental impressions. I then make a custom tray that is unique to you and will only fit you. It is only about 0.5 mm thick and is worn overnight. Most of the DIY kits are very bulky and uncomfortable to wear for much more than an hour or so, they are very much like a thick boxing gum shield.

One of the main reasons that DIY kits do not work is they have no reservoir within the bleaching tray for the gel to sit. The DIY trays when formed onto your teeth, fit snug….So when you fill your tray with the gel and then place the tray into position 99% of the gel is pushed out.

A custom made tray is manufactured with a reservoir (space) at the front of each tooth, So when you place the Custom made tray in your mouth, the gel pools in the reservoir and sits on the front of the tooth.

I do provide this service through our salon, though sadly you would have to come to us…Sorry

By a weird coincidence I have just come back from my dentist where I had....guess what??? Teeth whitening!

I've had loads of stuff done to my teeth over the past few several months and this is the one for today.

I had a genuine laser treatment (not the UV light that many call a laser treatment) Apparently there are not that many dentists in the UK qualified to use such a thing. They also used it to reallign my gums a while ago andf do some sterilising stuff during a root filling.

The results are amazing! Bit painful but they will continue to whitena bit more then I have a home kit to top it up over the next year or so. When it is time to have it again (2 years ish) I will have veneers which I've had on my top teeth.

Very impressed! Instant result and long lasting. Needed to be for the cost but, as with many things, you g et what you pay for.

marian

mum said:
By a weird coincidence I have just come back from my dentist where I had....guess what??? Teeth whitening!

I've had loads of stuff done to my teeth over the past few several months and this is the one for today.

I had a genuine laser treatment (not the UV light that many call a laser treatment) Apparently there are not that many dentists in the UK qualified to use such a thing. They also used it to reallign my gums a while ago andf do some sterilising stuff during a root filling.

The results are amazing! Bit painful but they will continue to whitena bit more then I have a home kit to top it up over the next year or so. When it is time to have it again (2 years ish) I will have veneers which I've had on my top teeth.

Very impressed! Instant result and long lasting. Needed to be for the cost but, as with many things, you g et what you pay for.

marian
Hiya Marian,

I saw you half way through and they looked really goos so now they will be fantastic, i'll not recognise you now LOL

Amanda

I think the home teeth whitening kits will be like every other so called 'professional' home kit from nails and hair- it will never be as good as going to the trained professional and having it done correctly.

Nearly everyone on here agrees that the Argos and Boots nail kits are not as good as having it done by a nail tech and they know the state peoples nails can get into by them having a go themselves. Imagine if your using a home kit to whiten your teeth and it went as wrong as someone using a home nail kit. You could be walking round with very manky teeth and it would cost a fortune to fix, thats if it could be fixed.

I'm a smoker and I know that I don't have really white teeth because of my habit but i'd rather walk around with slightly stained teeth but them being really healthy than them being damaged.

Stacey P said:
I think the home teeth whitening kits will be like every other so called 'professional' home kit from nails and hair- it will never be as good as going to the trained professional and having it done correctly.

Nearly everyone on here agrees that the Argos and Boots nail kits are not as good as having it done by a nail tech and they know the state peoples nails can get into by them having a go themselves. Imagine if your using a home kit to whiten your teeth and it went as wrong as someone using a home nail kit. You could be walking round with very manky teeth and it would cost a fortune to fix, thats if it could be fixed.

I'm a smoker and I know that I don't have really white teeth because of my habit but i'd rather walk around with slightly stained teeth but them being really healthy than them being damaged.
Here here, thats why Herman has posted a thread because his is a "proffesional" product........I wouldnt use cheap stuff from argos on my nails let alone anything dodgy on my teeth, my nails can grow back but my teeth cant if anything goes wrong!!!!!!!!

Amanda

did anyone see 'how to look 10 years younger' last night....they transformed absolutely awful teeth into a hollywood smile. it changed the girl's whole face and her confidence.

Latest posts

Back