Teeth whitening?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHELSEAHARVEY

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting someone in once a month to do teeth whitening in the salon as I get asked about it but this isn't something I want to do

Someone has told me though on the news they are going to make it illegal that just anyone can do it & it has to be done by a dentist?? There is a hefty fine come with it as well

Has anyone else heard this?

I had some posters up ages ago for a teeth whitener to come into my salon. One of my clients asked if I had had it done, to which I replied "Well no - if I wanted it done, I'd go to a dentist" which ultimately summed it up for me.

There are a lot of threads on here about it - it is a legal minefield, so my advice would be don't touch it with a bargepole, but I'm sure some would disagree!

Vicki x

I believe it is already illegal unless you are a dentist.Have a search online I think someone was recently taken to court.

We have loads of people round our way doing teeth whitening. None are dentists or have ever done anything with teeth. Seems you just buy the machine and pff you go :-/

I've got a client who is an orthodontist and she's going to come to my beauty room and do teeth whitening and Botox. She uses WY10 which has very good reviews. I'm getting mine done next week so I'll update you when I've got new sparkly white teeth! I also wouldn't have used anyone who wasn't a dentist and I don't think clients would be confident in someone who isn't. Not sure how someone who wasn't a dentist would be able to do a consultation and check teeth were ok to whiten anyway?

Teeth whitening is a cosmetic treatment not a dentistry treatment and that's why it's so confusing.

Therapists that do teeth whitening are NOT aloud to give dental advise or enter inside the mouth.
No one is now aloud to use peroxide anymore since last year.

If trained, you can do teeth whitening "beaming white" they have EU/UK compliant kits available for people who are trained.

You just have to be careful who you go to. And some will always perfer the dentist as it's the mouth. But others don't mind.

Teeth whitening is a cosmetic treatment not a dentistry treatment and that's why it's so confusing.

Therapists that do teeth whitening are NOT aloud to give dental advise or enter inside the mouth.
No one is now aloud to use peroxide anymore since last year.

If trained, you can do teeth whitening "beaming white" they have EU/UK compliant kits available for people who are trained.

You just have to be careful who you go to. And some will always perfer the dentist as it's the mouth. But others don't mind.

I had an awful experience teeth whitening. I read the reviews before booking and had it done in a fitness centre.
Anyway to cut a long story short, it was painful, burnt my gums causing severe discomfort for days, the procedure hurt but I couldn't tell him as he had left the room whilst I was under his lamp so that he could go flirt with the receptionist and for days after I was in agony. I followed the white diet but after a week the full effects had worn off.

I thought id save myself a few quid going to him - my mistake - for an extra £100 I went and saw my dentist and had trays made up with a solution I use when I want and it works.

Funny though cos his wife is one on my clients - and when I told him he said to me " well what did you expect, now remember when you told my wife off for going to nss!"

How funny

Lesson learnt !!!

If you want your teeth whitening properly GO TO A DENTIST!!! Cant stress this enough. Whitening should be a gradual process not done 20 shades lighter in an hour!

It's already illegal for anyone to do other than a dentist

It's already illegal for anyone to do other than a dentist

Cant see it being illegal. We have lots of people advertising it round our way. The 'non peroxide' way none of these are dentists. This they are called sure smiles

It's not illegal as long as you're using less than 0.1% peroxide. I'm fully trained and insured in cosmetic teeth whitening, I've had trading standards check the products that I'm using which have MSDS sheets available for them, and trading standards have told me it's fine - I have written confirmation from them! x

If you have it done with non - peroxide there is NO pain. With peroxide there is, and that's what shouldn't be used.
I also would never leave a client on there own why they are having treatment. They could have a coughing fit, panic, anything. So id never leave.

There is good and bad places everywhere like every treatment. Just need to be careful :)

I had none peroxide whitening and it hurt like hell!!! My teeth were so sensitive after. Id defo recommend going to a dentist and have it done properly x

I hate 2 say if it hurt u had peroxide! I know 4 a fact that there was people who were not trained dentists or therapist that where using peroxide and not even informing clients!! Also do teeth whitening and use a sodium based product from naturawhite u reli r not doin much apart from giving the client the product and switchin the light onthey r doin the rest :) I always get good results :) and definitely not illegal :)

I hate 2 say if it hurt u had peroxide! I know 4 a fact that there was people who were not trained dentists or therapist that where using peroxide and not even informing clients!! Also do teeth whitening and use a sodium based product from naturawhite u reli r not doin much apart from giving the client the product and switchin the light onthey r doin the rest :) I always get good results :) and definitely not illegal :)

No defo didnt have peroxide. It was crap hardly lightened them

This statement does not say what he used.
Non-peroxide is legal!! Fact!

I was interested in this topic, don't offer it but googled and came up with parliamentary notes in Scotland, it categoricaly states a dentist has do this in Scotland or is illegal, was quite shocked tbh x

Ladies that does teeth whitening what do you think of the above link?

I'm just so confused! You speak to your supplier and they say it's fine. You look online and different views. Soooo many companies are selling it to salons. Even the beauty show..... How can there is companies advertising teeth whitening if it's legal?

Latest posts

Back