Teeth whitening?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked into this as I was thinking about training in it and from what the General Dental Council say....teeth whitening by anyone other than a Dentist is illegal.

There has been at least 2 cases of therapists being taken to court and convicted for "practising dentistry"

According to the GDC:- A High Court decision in May 2013 confirmed that tooth whitening is the practice of dentistry and should only be undertaken by registered dental professionals.

There is even a contact form on the GDC website where you can report people who are practising teeth whitening who aren't dentists.

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole either.

http://www.gdc-uk.org/Newsandpublic...an-pleads-guilty-in-tooth-whitening-case.aspx

Last edited:
Does scare the life out of me.
People that do teeth whitening what you think?

I have invested so much money in my training and equipment it's such a shame.

Do you think its worth contacting the GDC or trading standards? You could find out where you stand legally and if you have been misled you may have some recourse.

Vicki x

Do you think its worth contacting the GDC or trading standards? You could find out where you stand legally and if you have been misled you may have some recourse.

Vicki x

Yes I'm going to call in the morning. And I will let you guys no xxx

So would some of you do teeth whitening if the legalities were clearly set out and you could ?

I wouldn't personally do it one way or the other. I would be afraid of my life that I would damage someone's teeth .....OMG ..can you imagine if that happened?

No..same as I have a hairdresser do my hair because they are trained and know what they are doing and more the point they know what to do if something goes wrong.

Let the dentist do teeth.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, legal or not!

I wouldn't either! I was put off having my teeth whitened by my Dad, he was a dental technician and warned me of the dangers!

you should contact the company and ask for a refund. if you can prove that they told you that its perfectly legal then they you have been missold

contact the citizens advice bereau and they can help

Vicki x

The GDC will tell you it's not legal, because they are the governing body for dentists, who obviously don't want beauty therapists doing teeth whitening because they're losing money from it. Trading standards have told me it's perfectly fine, they have tested the products I use and I have it in writing. I have done a training course and have got insurance, and the non-peroxide whitening gel that I use has nothing in it that can cause any damage - it's the same product that you can buy in boots, superdrug, tesco etc, I'm just providing the LED lamp to make the gel work faster. Hope that clears it up x

I think my post was more aimed at KGSalon to be sure that their system also complies with an acceptable treatment as they certainly have some concerns.

Vicki x

The GDC will tell you it's not legal, because they are the governing body for dentists, who obviously don't want beauty therapists doing teeth whitening because they're losing money from it. Trading standards have told me it's perfectly fine, they have tested the products I use and I have it in writing. I have done a training course and have got insurance, and the non-peroxide whitening gel that I use has nothing in it that can cause any damage - it's the same product that you can buy in boots, superdrug, tesco etc, I'm just providing the LED lamp to make the gel work faster. Hope that clears it up x

Yup your totally right! As trading standards told me too.
So carry on trading as we was!

We no we are using the right products and been trained by the right people, I don't know why I let others doubt myself! But it's always a scare.
There will always be people carrying out the wrong treatment using the wrong products - just have to be more careful who you go to :) xx
It's a COSMETIC treatment!

It is so confusing!

What about Hayley Wilding that was prosecuted in December?

“I’ve been doing teeth whitening since last February, after I did a three-day course with a company down in Cardiff. It cost £400.

“When this came out they reassured me as long as I use non-peroxide products it’s perfectly legal.

“It’s so confusing. I just feel stupid and embarrassed and I feel like a criminal. If it’s the case that it’s illegal then they have just taken my money.”

The Evening Post contacted the training company but were unable to speak to anybody at the firm.

The GDC said attending a tooth whitening training course does not in itself allow an individual to legally provide tooth whitening legally and that the type of peroxide used is irrelevant.

A GDC spokesman said: “If you want to carry out tooth whitening, either by yourself or as a business, you must qualify as dentist, dental therapist or a dental hygienist.”

Illegal tooth whitening case reopened - Lancashire Evening Post

If there's so much conflicting information I'd rather not bother. I wouldn't want to be prosecuted :Scared:

Teeth whitening technicians are assisting in the application of an at home kit (non-peroxide) it is totally legal as long as the kit is self administered and no advice is given in regards to dental treatments! Trading standards will clarify the method in which we now use is a cosmetic procedure and as long as you are trained in the procedure you can assist a client

Then why did Hayley Wilding get prosecuted for her non peroxide treatment despite being trained by a dentist?

The general dental council deems teeth whitening the practice of dentistry, this means that if you whiten teeth and you're not a dentist then you're in direct violation of "The Dentists act 1984"

The GDC are in NO WAY here to make dentists more money, their only role is to protect patients from harm. It isn't like a trade union for dentists, that's the BDA.

Its obvious why the GDC is saying its the practice of dentistry, even in this thread people have said their gums have been harmed by illegal teeth whitening. Dentists go through a MINIMUM of 6 years training before they can practice independently. I don't think a three day course + a piece of paper saying you can whiten teeth makes anyone a safe practitioner.

The general dental council deems teeth whitening the practice of dentistry, this means that if you whiten teeth and you're not a dentist then you're in direct violation of "The Dentists act 1984"

The GDC are in NO WAY here to make dentists more money, their only role is to protect patients from harm. It isn't like a trade union for dentists, that's the BDA.

Its obvious why the GDC is saying its the practice of dentistry, even in this thread people have said their gums have been harmed by illegal teeth whitening. Dentists go through a MINIMUM of 6 years training before they can practice independently. I don't think a three day course + a piece of paper saying you can whiten teeth makes anyone a safe practitioner.

Yes, the GDC do deem teeth whitening to be dentistry, but this is there interpretation - there is nothing anywhere to say that teeth whitening is classed as dentistry and the products used were deemed as cosmetic in the House of Lords (in 2001 I think). So yes, what you're saying is correct that the GDC think teeth whitening is dentistry, but nowhere else does it say that. How have trading standards told me it's fine if it's actually illegal? x

Teeth whitening technicians are assisting in the application of an at home kit (non-peroxide) it is totally legal as long as the kit is self administered and no advice is given in regards to dental treatments! Trading standards will clarify the method in which we now use is a cosmetic procedure and as long as you are trained in the procedure you can assist a client

If the product is an at home kit and it is being self-administered by the client, how is it a professional treatment, and what on earth is the client paying for?!

If the product is an at home kit and it is being self-administered by the client, how is it a professional treatment, and what on earth is the client paying for?!

The LED light which helps to activate the gel.

Yes, the GDC do deem teeth whitening to be dentistry, but this is there interpretation - there is nothing anywhere to say that teeth whitening is classed as dentistry and the products used were deemed as cosmetic in the House of Lords (in 2001 I think). So yes, what you're saying is correct that the GDC think teeth whitening is dentistry, but nowhere else does it say that. How have trading standards told me it's fine if it's actually illegal? x

Yes but whether you like it or not, if the GDC deems something the practice of dentistry, and you practice it without being a dentist then you are in violation of the dentists act 1984 and you will be breaking the law.

Latest posts

Back