Tell me about your UV Lamp.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jax

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

I'm still investigating whether to start using a UV Gel Topcoat or not but I've started to look into lamps - uv output, wattage, price, etc.

Just wondered if you have anything to add about the overall design of your lamp - anything you like or dislike about your specific lamp, whether it be, shape, materials, price, bulb placement or even the length of the power cord!

Warts and all it would be useful to hear. xx

I don't think the lamp is as important as the product you're curing inside it... you could have the funkiest lamp on the market but it's no good if the gel or UV Gloss that goes with it doesn't cut the mustard! :wink2:

I don't think the lamp is as important as the product you're curing inside it... you could have the funkiest lamp on the market but it's no good if the gel or UV Gloss that goes with it doesn't cut the mustard! :wink2:

It says in your profile that you use creative L&P, so I'm assuming you will choose Brisa gel too. If so you will need a brisa lamp to cure the product correctly.

When I first started out I bought quite a nice lamp for $150, then decided to do my training with Brisa. So then I had to buy a new brisa lamp for $500. My first lamp is now sitting on a shelf collecting dust and I have wasted $150.

i use a bog standard lamp from NAILORDER (£15 at the shows) - 2 x 9 watt bulbs as i only use it to cure gel top coat - (i use nsi glaze and go) - i'm only 9 months into nails - only do l/p so didn't want to commit myself to a particular gel system.
it works brill for what i need it for - and without a huge expense. hth:)

i use a bog standard lamp from NAILORDER (£15 at the shows) - 2 x 9 watt bulbs as i only use it to cure gel top coat - (i use nsi glaze and go) - i'm only 9 months into nails - only do l/p so didn't want to commit myself to a particular gel system.
it works brill for what i need it for - and without a huge expense. hth:)
The wattage of the lamp doesn't have much to do with the curing of the gel, it's the UV Output that cures the gel.

http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/35947-choosing-uv-lamp-your-gel-system.html

hth's

The creative rep told me last year that you can use any lamp with brisa as long as it was powerful enough. I used a small millenium lamp but am looking into getting a new one at G mex next week.

The creative rep told me last year that you can use any lamp with brisa as long as it was powerful enough. I used a small millenium lamp but am looking into getting a new one at G mex next week.
I wouldn't use any lamp other than the one recommended for Brisa.
The Brisa lamp is good enough to cure other gels but no other lamp will cure Brisa gel, my Creative educator told me that when I did my training.
My Brisa conversion notes said:
If you use a lamp with lower or higher levels of UV output you cannot achieve optimum cure. In addition, you may experience service breakdown and other problems because of under-cured product.
hth's

I wouldn't use any lamp other than the one recommended for Brisa.
The Brisa lamp is good enough to cure other gels but no other lamp will cure Brisa gel, my Creative educator told me that when I did my training.

hth's

Surely any lamp with the same UV output as a Brisa lamp will cure Brisa gel?

Surely any lamp with the same UV output as a Brisa lamp will cure Brisa gel?
It isn't that easy... let alone not being able to find out the UV Output for lamps, the majority of companies tell you the wattage of the lamp/bulbs, but not the UV Output.

Bulb placement can have an effect on curing too and as such this is one reason to buy the lamp that's recommended for each particular gel brand.

It isn't that easy... let alone not being able to find out the UV Output for lamps, the majority of companies tell you the wattage of the lamp/bulbs, but not the UV Output.

Bulb placement can have an effect on curing too and as such this is one reason to buy the lamp that's recommended for each particular gel brand.

I think its much more straightforward than that. I'm sure Creative dont manufacture their own bulbs? - its much more likely they use a standard fit UV bulb from one of the big bulb manufacturers - silvania? osram? or phillips? for example. These bulbs have a specified UV output regardless of what power the unit itself has. I think its more relevant how many bulbs the unit has.
If unit 'A' contains 3 x 9 watt osram bulbs and cost £50 and unit 'b' contains 3 x 9 watt osram bulbs and cost £300 the uv output for both will be nearly identical..........Unit A will probably have a brand stamped on it and look prettier!!

I think its much more straightforward than that. I'm sure Creative dont manufacture their own bulbs? No, you're right, they don't manufacture their own bulbs.
- its much more likely they use a standard fit UV bulb from one of the big bulb manufacturers - silvania? osram? or phillips? for example. Phillips, I believe (without checking).

These bulbs have a specified UV output regardless of what power the unit itself has. As I said in my previous reply, the placement of the bulb within the lamp has an effect on the curing.

I think its more relevant how many bulbs the unit has.
If unit 'A' contains 3 x 9 watt osram bulbs and cost £50 and unit 'b' contains 3 x 9 watt osram bulbs and cost £300 the uv output for both will be nearly identical..........Unit A will probably have a brand stamped on it and look prettier!!
When Creative were testing UV bulbs for the Brisa lamp they found that 'some' 4w bulbs gave a higher UV output than 'some' 9w bulbs. You can have two different branded 9w bulbs of a slightly different shape and they can give differing amounts of UV output.
Even if the bulbs are the same wattage and from the same company the bulb placement within the lamp has an impact on the curing.

I don't think that the Brisa lamp is that pretty to be honest, but what I do know (for a fact) is that a lot of testing went on to produce a lamp that would cure the gel thoroughly and entirely, I know (for a fact) that I won't have service breakdown due to undercuring.
Peace of mind means a lot to a technician and by using the correct lamp for the gel system means that the only worry I have is making sure my application is spot on and then hoping that my clients follow my guidelines on aftercare.
That's why it's so important to buy the lamp that's recommended for the brand of gel you plan to use.

By all means choose a lamp that doesn't go with the brand of gel you want to use, but don't blame the lamp or the gel if you suffer from service breakdown.

hth's a bit

I think its much more straightforward than that. I'm sure Creative dont manufacture their own bulbs? - its much more likely they use a standard fit UV bulb from one of the big bulb manufacturers - silvania? osram? or phillips? for example. These bulbs have a specified UV output regardless of what power the unit itself has. I think its more relevant how many bulbs the unit has.

After using quite a few different lamps I must admit it IS a bit more complicated.
The lamps are designed to be used with each system.
Yes.. they can be used with others but your curing time can alter so much and it is very hit and miss tbh.
Each company designs the lamp that cures the product that is used by them.
Not anyone elses.
It certainly doesn't mean it can't cure another brand but it can alter your timing.
Just something to bear in mind.

I have been using my previous uv lamp with my Brisa gel, merely because when i did my conversion course it was smack bang just before hyperion when into liquidation, so as a result i didnt receive my lamp i just had my kit. Im still waiting to get my lamp.
Now i test drove my lamp on my own enhancements and other non paying clients, to be sure my result would be ok. So far ive not had any problems with service breakdown. But I do believe in using the lamp specific to the said brand of gel you are using. So that if something does occur, you cant put it down to using the wrong equipment. Ok i know all the evidence and research of uv output and such is there. But surely it makes me wonder about whether it is really necessary to have a specific lamp.

I have been using my previous uv lamp with my Brisa gel, merely because when i did my conversion course it was smack bang just before hyperion when into liquidation, so as a result i didnt receive my lamp i just had my kit. Im still waiting to get my lamp.
Now i test drove my lamp on my own enhancements and other non paying clients, to be sure my result would be ok. So far ive not had any problems with service breakdown. But I do believe in using the lamp specific to the said brand of gel you are using. So that if something does occur, you cant put it down to using the wrong equipment. Ok i know all the evidence and research of uv output and such is there. But surely it makes me wonder about whether it is really necessary to have a specific lamp.
Service breakdown doesn't have to happen straight away, it mightn't be for a good few rebalances before breakdown begins to show itself.

The thing with undercure is that the gel might look cured, it might behave as if it's cured, but the chances are that it isn't cured to it's optimum, there's no way to tell this by looking at the nails, it only shows itself over time.

imo, if its only you or a few friends you do nails on , then take the chance,
but if you want to be a successful professional, then you need to do things correctly,
no point worrying if the nails will be ok, when you have a full client list
get the right lamp for the products end of!!

I have wondered about this too since I am going to convert to Brisa and already have a lamp with 4 90w bulbs. But according to this, it's not the wattage that actually determines the UV output:

Here is when opinion gets screwed up with science. Wattage has nothing to do with UV output and it is the UV output that is imperative for safe and optimum curing. Though you may think that the gel seems fully cured (and in some cases, it may be), you will have no idea if it is or not, you are simply guessing that it is because you can file on it and it seems fine.

I have purchased the Brisa kit and have had a little play on myself with my Calgel lamp and it does not work. It looks fine til a day or two. Then it starts lifting and separating.

Good thing I just got notice that my Brisa lamp will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to get trained!

hths

Hi I use IBD L&P, I posed a similar question a couple of months back. Another geek was kind enough to sell me a small lamp from the Edge. So I found the simplest thing for me was to use The Edge UV Gel Glass topcoat. I must say that I am very pleased.

Service breakdown doesn't have to happen straight away, it mightn't be for a good few rebalances before breakdown begins to show itself.

The thing with undercure is that the gel might look cured, it might behave as if it's cured, but the chances are that it isn't cured to it's optimum, there's no way to tell this by looking at the nails, it only shows itself over time.

Definitely. If you are using the correct lamp, IF you had problems with service breakdown, you can rule out the lamp immediately as being the cause of it.

If using the wrong lamp then you have to consider that being the cause also.

Latest posts

Back