Tell me where you are at?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where are you?

• Total voters
I've voted. Intrigued Gigi...... ;)

Hi everyone

I trained with Stonebridge College starting in March 2011 and qualified in the Oct.

Iv started mobile in November 2011 and haven't looked back since :)

Although initially hard getting 'known' out there in my area word is slowly spreading and I'm pleased to say business is steady and picking up month by month.

I plan to go on further courses to keep my skills in check and to keep up to date in everything I do, as soon as I build up enough cash to book on them.

It works well as I have to work part time hours to fit in with my husbands demanding job and long hours, as well as looking after my 3 young children and running normal day to day life routines and chores

I qualified in 2007 as a beauty therapist and passed my CND foundation l&p the same year.

I rented space in a hair salon for about 6 months before opening my own salon. I sold that 18 months ago and having moved to a new area am now renting space in a salon and concentrating on nails once more. Recently did my Brisa conversion.

Done.
Qualified, but not confident enough yet x

Been in the beauty industry since 1997. Worked mobile for a year then rented space in a hairdressing salon for another year. I left that salon and rented a space in another bigger salon. Worked here for 12 years and am about to open my very first salon in just over 2 weeks time.
I can't wait as I love this industry. It's all so exciting, I love to improve my skills and I am forever wanting to learn new things. :biggrin:

done it, qualified but practicing x

I trained with BioSculpture 4 years ago. The following year I did my cnd foundation, brisa conversion and was working through my pre masters and masters courses whilst working full time in an unrelated career. I worked in a salon on Saturday's for about 8 months whilst doing friends and family in the evenings. When I stopped working in the salon, I started a proper mobile business and it took off really quickly. Mainly because I started it just as shellac came out! I was still working full time but doing nails in the evenings and weekends.
Last year, I had a baby. Luckily my regulars waited for me and now I'm building it all back up again.
Although mobile is perfect for me now, I'm hoping to rent a desk somewhere in the future. And looking forward to getting my master painter before the end of the year.

Qualified in 2004/5 in Beauty then level 3 in Holistics. Work from my home salon since then. Love my job! Have continued education since the day I left college & will continue to do so.

Been renting a space in my sister in law's salon for almost 3 years and training constantly in new skills. Qualified in nails just over a year ago (although most of my business is massage/holistics I'm getting a nice balance now between that and beauty) now working primarily on natural nails (mani/pedi/Gelish) as I never felt I got good enough at acrylics. Saving up for some 1-2-1 training as it's a skill I desperately want to master, it feels like unfinished business...

Qualified 4 yrs ago was mobile for 3 yrs I opened my very own salon in December last yr

Studied at college for 3 year, had a job with a salon who put me on numerous training courses for 3 years while I was at college, went mobile for a year then worked with the princes trust who helped me get my shop so in August I will have been self employed and running my own salon for 2years and I'm only 22 I'm proud coz it wasn't an easy ride :) x

Qualified in Bio Sculpture, have a home salon, have had offers to rent a chair at local hairdressers but not interested at the moment! I enjoy the flexibility of being in my own space and being my own boss, my business is my baby!!

I bet you do! :D. Congratulations on opening your own place! I wish you every success.

Thank you very much x

Newly qualified working mobile in the evenings and weekends and ANY spare time I have whilst working in my full time job as a PR Officer. Hard work but loving it!

Qualified in 1998. Was mobile for a minute until an old woman refused me entry into her home because I wasn't "white"....whatever that means. LOL I was done.

Been in a salon since.

I qualified 18 yrs ago in hair, last yr qualified in level 2 nails and this year just passed my level 3 nail.

I'm mobile at the moment and hopefully opening own salon before xmas, has my dad is extending is shop so I can have my salon. Now the question is which year he does it!!, you know what dads r like good gunners lol!!!

Qualified in 1998. Was mobile for a minute until an old woman refused me entry into her home because I wasn't "white"....whatever that means. LOL I was done.

Been in a salon since.

Gr8nailz you do make me laugh :) lol

Qualified in 2004/5 in Beauty then level 3 in Holistics. Work from my home salon since then. Love my job! Have continued education since the day I left college & will continue to do so.
Me too, I love learning - whether it's by reading, developing new tricks, training in new treatments.

CPD is a HUGE part of what I'm about!

Interesting! i didn't know that i was in a minority of people in being employed.

Being self employed gives you the luxury of choosing your own product brands which must be nice :)

I'm trying to get an idea of what proportion of geeks are working professionals full time or part time mobiles etc or students ... so far I do not think I am getting a true picture of our community .... I think the pros are responding and the students are not because I suspect there are many more students here then is suggested by the figures proportionally.

I have voted as a Working in a salon as a self employed renter. This has always been my way of working I have the freedom of being self employed but with only rent and my products as my outlay (after my equipment) so no detailed overheads such as utilities and music licenses etc.

I think the flaw In your poll though Geeg is not with the students but with the last selection Working in my own salon/home or other as there can be a huge difference between a Salon owner and someone working from home.
Someone working from home can range from having a seperate entrance into a fully kitted therapy room, to a part time tech working at her kitchen table. No less professional but completely different.
I think salon owners should have their own box to tick especially if also employers.

That said it is a very interesting poll and will maybe let us see how many categories of geeks there are on here!

Latest posts

Back