Tell me where you are at?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where are you?

• Total voters
I have voted as a Working in a salon as a self employed renter. This has always been my way of working I have the freedom of being self employed but with only rent and my products as my outlay (after my equipment) so no detailed overheads such as utilities and music licenses etc.

I think the flaw In your poll though Geeg is not with the students but with the last selection Working in my own salon/home or other as there can be a huge difference between a Salon owner and someone working from home.
Someone working from home can range from having a seperate entrance into a fully kitted therapy room, to a part time tech working at her kitchen table. No less professional but completely different.
I think salon owners should have their own box to tick especially if also employers.

That said it is a very interesting poll and will maybe let us see how many categories of geeks there are on here!

I think you have that right and also I needed to establish who is full time and who is ... Um not!

I've been a qualified beauty therapist for almost 20 years and run my own salon. It's really busy throughout the year with approx 70% of my week doing shellac. It's revolutionised by business. I love my job even after all this time and consider myself very lucky :)

To follow up, I'm a part-time nail pro. :D

Im still training at college at the moment but i do a lot of friends and families hair at cheap rates. It's amazing how many people at my college dont do any ones hair at home :o how can you learn if you stop hairdressing at the college doors?

hi completely new to the site , iv passed all my exams just waiting for my my theory and practical side to be signed off to get my certificates so nearly there :) xxxx

I'm qualified in gel, l&p, fiberglass and silk wraps
I'm currently just doing nails on family and friends etc.
Hoping to go pro when I'm done with college - it should be possible since I've already been offered two teaching jobs :-D

I finished my NVQ Lv3 BT (massage route) diploma yesterday :biggrin:

Taking extra training in advanced massage, Thai massage, threading, Hopi ear candles and later this year hopefully clinical aromatherapy, reflexology and sports massage.

I have a 4* spa job waiting for me. One day I hope to own my business :D

I'm new to this site so still learning my way round the forums and how to reply, so forgive me if this goes wrong!
Qualified In Beauty Level 3 in May, also done nails, spray tanning and lash extensions which I am currently practising on everyone! Have been desperately trying to get a job sending loads of cv's but had no joy! Am still looking for a job, but am now considering going it alone! If this is the route then I will be working from home and probably part time.

By the way done the poll. x

I'm a full time nail tech/spray tanner have been for the last 7 years, open my own shop 1 year ago n it's going well more than double my clients. Going great! Luv it. Previous to that renting space which done the trick at the time as built up good clientele hope this helps ur poll xxx

I am renting my own salon inside a hairdressers. I am fully qualified but I am now doing conversion courses as I love love love CND. I live for nails :-D x

In 2004-2006 I ran my own mobile nail biz. I gave up to pursue another career during that time i have always done friends etc but now I'm building up my client base again with a view to opening a shop. I'm so excited but lots of new products that I haven't worked with!!!! Aargh! Nails are ace I love it! Good luck it sounds like you are well on your way!

Just done the poll, I qualified in 2004 nvq level 2 in beauty, then done essential nails with acrylic but didn't get into it. Then done gel NSI but personally not what I wanted so done bio sculpture last year which I love, do this mainly with friends and family (don't work full time due to health problems) and also do waxing and tinting ect, getting busier and going to do Shellac next :) x

This is really interesting. I seem to be in the minority. I work in a salon as a nail tech & get paid an hourly wage. I think the bonus is, if there's a cancellation I still get paid & I have no outlay on product as everything is there. I also know exactly how much I'm going to get each week. Not sure it's going to make me real money though x

I have a garage converted into a salon at home :) thankfully its not attached to the house so I feel like I am actually going to the salon to work haha and by a garage it's a lot nicer then a standard garage which the word can sometimes put people off! I like it it warm and inviting :)

I have a garage converted into a salon at home :) thankfully its not attached to the house so I feel like I am actually going to the salon to work haha and by a garage it's a lot nicer then a standard garage which the word can sometimes put people off! I like it it warm and inviting :)

Sounds perfect! I loved working from my home salon in the early days of my career.

I work almost full time from my home based salon. It is purpose built with its own entrance. I love working from home - so practical and convenient. Qualified in Beauty Therapy, Massage and Spray Tanning. My favourite though is now nails, shellac, Rockstar toes and GelPolish. I am doing CND Gel in October @ Leeds and I can't wait :)))

Hi

I'm completely new to the site after months of lurking n reading the wonderful advice you all give I've decided to jump in x

I qualified 2005 did a stint in a salon n then we brought the house n my husband told me to get a proper job as we needed the mortgage lol

I did a bit of mobile n I've recently had 2 babies and this time decided to throw myself back in full force doing mobile beauty as I luv it so much.

We will be moving in the next 12/18 months n the garage will be converted into a home salon and I just can't wait!!

I'm hoping to do my Cnd l&p n brisk gels soon spray tanning and lash extensions xxx

Sounds perfect! I loved working from my home salon in the early days of my career.

Thank you :) would love a proper salon some day but this is fab for me right now and my clients like that it's private, working from home is nice as I used to be mobile and got so over driving around all the time just drained me!

Latest posts

Back